Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

get to no windows

• 08-11-2004 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭

how do i get to no everything about windows

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

know

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

yeah you can get to know it through just working with it for ages or some sort of book related shenanigans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

say "know" to windows!

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    say "know" to windows!

i know but when you get to no it its not that bad you no??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

know. I don't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

coolio_64 wrote:
    how do i get to no everything about windows
    You can't. The only people who are allowed to look under the bonnet are the microsoft programmers who wrote the code. And judging by the security holes they either don't know how it works or how to program securely. :D

Seriously, you can do MCSE / MCSA courses to learn what microsoft think you should know about windows. Remember you aren't even allowed to say how fast .NET/.Nought is/isn't without written approval from them so there are lots of things you won't learn the official way.

Try things out - learn by esperiance and then look stuff up on the net and find some good sites.

Open Source on the other had allows you to see everything and discuss it openly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Know, it's knot possible to get to no everything about windows, even though some people seem to no everything about windows, know one does.

:rolleyes:

know way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

So how fast IS .NET then? I can wait for you to write the letter mail it etc....

Oh and for the thread owner what does "everything" mean?

all the lil shortcuts, features, how code works, hacks all of the above?

The answer depends on what "everything" means.

And for the rest of ye the "know/no" puns got old in post #2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭coolio_64

i mean to become an expert windows user

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

"get to no windows"

task manager > processes > explorer.exe > end process

coolio_64 wrote:

same with anything...
    practice, practice, practice

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

coolio_64 wrote:

As anyone who has done maths knows X is the unknown quantity.
    And a spurt is just a drip under pressure.

Computers in general and windows change so fast and frequently ,every second windows release keyboard shortcuts and names change, icons move and things get moved down a sub menu , so no one could be an "expert" you could become competent and know many things most people don't know.

You could do an ECDL course, check in secondary schools / FAS..

BTW: have to laugh 'cos all of the changes in windows are supposed to make it easier to use so in theory you should not need to learn how it works at this stage, but in practice a lot of the knowledge people have had of older windows interfaces is of little use eg: try this
    File - RUN - ProgMan
    Most younger "windows experts" today would not know how to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

but in practice a lot of the knowledge people have had of older windows interfaces is of little use eg: try this
    File - RUN - ProgMan
    Well certainly on the surface, but I think knowledge of some of the underlying areas like dos and little things like .pif files and system.ini/win.ini can get you out of a jam... how many times has the humble batch file come in and saved the day? I'm surprised to find techy people who can't even make a simple loop in one.
    Actually, being able to surprise people with a really obscure solution is fun. :)

To coolio_64, I'd say it all depends on what area you want to specialize in... choose an aspect of windows that you're interested in, and find out everything you can about it, start some pet-projects etc.
    For a general well-rounded knowledge, just explore... check out all the nitty gritty options until you come across one you don't understand, then look it up... if the concept is too advanced, just take what you can from the explanation and store it away in your mind, after learning a few other things, the 'dots' will start to 'join' and things will slide gradually into place.
    I'd say I've learnt a lot in just trying to fix something, even if you research a problem you're having and get instructions on exactly how to fix it, and you say for example have to do some registry editing... you're learning something right there, although you may not fully understand it - you probably know more about it than before.
    Although as someone mentioned above, nobody really knows everything about windows... I don't think you ever stop learning really.
    I've picked up a lot of information from just reading threads here, and continue to do so :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭dabhal

Simple,

To be officially recognised get qualified, have a look at http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/default.asp
    It can cost and you realy need to be working with windows but what the hell.

Dabhal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

coolio_64 wrote:

Isn't that an oxymoron? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭coolio_64

is there any decent site out there other than microsoft for learning the ins and outs of windwos :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Yes

EDIT: Not trying to be a smart-arse or anything, but this is the best way. Worked for me and Linux. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

-Buy a good book (I got Norton's Windows 2000 a while back and it was enlightening)
    -Learn about PCs in general (book or web): like components and what they do. Practice disassembling and assembling an old PC.
    -Install lots of operating systems (doesn't have to be windows!) and get to know them a little (Linux too - you will learn something of windows here too!)
    -Maybe learn a programming language
    -When you get a bit more competent fix friend and families PC in exchange for alcohol
    -Wonder why you bothered and take up a less frustrating hobby like plumbing

davmigil wrote:
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

davmigil wrote:
    ditto :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

coolio_64 wrote:
    is there any decent site out there other than microsoft for learning the ins and outs of windwos :D

Try the windwos forum maybe?

Advertisement