Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Player models

• 08-11-2004 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Ok, at this stage, I think i can model and skin a tank or plane to beat the band, but I just realised Ive never tried the human form. most of the links in your sticky thread are broken, so has anyone got any good links for building a proportional human from scratch? I've watched and read loads of stupid meathead-GI tuts, but idealy I'd be looking at something that covers "real" humans with clothing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Modelling isn't really my bag :(

Sorry.. I'm more of a Mapper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Don't bother with tutorials, they won't really help. They make it look really easy but it is damn hard.

You should get a reference pic or sketch and just try and model that, for a bit of practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

well i find tutorials are a good learning curve to work by - reference shots are hardly a problem given the nature of the subject i want to model; I was thinking of working in a trenchcoated soldier; but as im comfortable with the max environment, i just want direction on how other people go about low poly models

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

There's a basic biped modeling tutorial included in the max help files... it's veerrry basic and you end up with a cartoon-ish model, but it covers a number of different methods like box-modeling and NURBS.
    Although I assume since you've already modeled tanks and planes, that you're already familiar with these concepts.

My own biped modeling techniques are pretty labourious, consisting of basic box modeling, extruding faces, refining and slicing, moving hundreds of verts around, then smoothing, then tidying up by collapsing a ton of verts where I don't need them... far from ideal... tbh I need to see some expert workflow to set me straight :)

There's a good head modeling tutorial here... haven't followed it myself, but may to at a later stage since it looks quite good.
    http://www.3dluvr.com/content/article/137

Advertisement