Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell me a brilliant book that I should read

Options
  • 07-09-2000 3:52pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As the title says...

Why bother reading average books...tell me the best books that you have read or would recommend...and if someone has already posted before you then pick your second favorite, ok?

I've read some tripe in the last few months because of the shortage of books that are available to me.

My advice to anyone would be to read the Nights Dawn Trilogy by Peter F.Hamilton.(Sci-Fi)

[This message has been edited by BossArky (edited 07-09-2000).]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

First book of the Wreathu trilogy, Burying the shadow, sign for the sacred, Calenture(my fav!) all by storm constantine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Startide Rising bt David Brin. My mission is to spread the good news of how brilliant this book is..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Weaveworld.

Snowcrash.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Any of Prachett's Discworld novels - they're such a laugh smile.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

Gabriel Garcia Marques - One Hundred Years of Solitude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭UNIFLU

The children of men by p.d. james is a great read, another good one is The Amethysts by frank delaney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Radovar

Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut. And its not the fifth book in the slaughterhouse series ... its a one off.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

Fight Club -> Chuck Palahniuk
    (not the book of the film, the original)

Ticktock -> Koontz

Books of Blood vol 1-3 -> Clive Barker (haven't read the rest)

I'm gonna buy "survivor" by Palahniuk aswell, it looks good. Written in esrever (chapter by chapter)

"Catch-22" and its sequal "closing time"

[This message has been edited by whitetrash (edited 08-09-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭metalchicken

erm, erm, erm. hmmmm.

the alchemist: makes ya think. (made me think)

Captain Corelli's Mandolin: good good

Memoirs of a Geisha: interesting

As Kharn says, anything by Pratchett: FUNNY

I'll stop now. I have many many many many many favourite books, I'm just trying to give you slightly "different" suggestions (although I think I've said them all before, never mind)

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

last book i read was a collection of short stories by Martin Millar:

The Collected Martin Millar (Including: 'Lux the Poet', 'Ruby and the
    Stone Age Diet' 'The Good Fairies of New York') (ISBN 1-85702-910-0)

Brilliant, I'm planning on tracking down anything else I can by the guy.
    http://www.martinmillar.com/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Best book read over the past two months is the novel "The first man in Rome" - by McCullough. Historical. Deals with the fall of the Roman Republic. Shows it was brought down by a series of internal treachery, jealously and back-stabbing. (Just like us moderns).
    NF try "The Code Book" by Singh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Seems to be a lot of Sci fi/fantasy already but : I'm ready the Empire trilogy by Raymond Feist atm. 1st book was ok, 2nd was v good, 3rd seems a bit boring but I've only just started it.

I'd recomment The Code Book too. One of the few examples of non-fiction which are both entertaining and a little bit educational.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I haven't finished the Empire Series - more than half way through the last, but like you say, I'm a little bored with it - put that down to the fact that I read every other Feist book (Riftwar, Serpentwar, Krondor) before starting the Empire series, so I suppose it was overkill somewhat! I'm almost finished Guards, Guards! (8th Discworld book) and I'll finish the other one then smile.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

personally I thought the Empire trilogy was the best of the Feist books so far. Definitely Wurts was a huge influence (she lived in Korea- or somewhere near there - with a farming family for a few months to do research for the culture and society).

I won't ruin it for you by commenting on the ending.

Metalchicken: you read the Alchemist? Classic book. Short Sweet Simple - hmmm, bit like a girl I know - but still causes more thinking that many of the "weightier" tomes out there. If it's not on a curriculum it should be. I recommend it!

Also:

Du Mais and Tales from the Mountain - excellent reads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Am currently reading

Snuff Fiction - Robert Rankin

as per usual, v v funny, if you haven't read any Robert Rankin books, get "Armagedon the Musical" and all its sequels, esp if you don't know where barrysworld got their name. and their server names from smile.gif

Other good ones i've read recently:

Mars - Ben Bova
    Stalingrad - Anthony Beevor

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Who wrote the Alchemist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭metalchicken

Originally posted by BossArky:
    Who wrote the Alchemist?

Methinks it was Paulo Coelho.
    Its a good wee book, its really just a fable, so its an easy read. I got something from it though, it can give you a different perspective on life. My best friend thought it was pants though, so I suppose what you get from it is what you want to get from it really.
    (did that make sense???)

LoLth, yeah, it was great! I agree, if the y put it on the school curriculum it would be a bit more interesting than some of the rubbish we were made to read back in the olden days when I was in school smile.gif

yep, a Brazilian guy called Paulo Coelho.

His other stuff is supposed to be a bit weird and wired but I haven't found any translations to English yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Learn Portugese then you lazy b@stard biggrin.gif

Chato!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Whitetrash: Survivor is pretty damn good, but very f ucked up..

Im going to the bear fights tomorrow, want to come with ??

Advertisement