Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arthur C. Clarke

Options
  • 12-09-2000 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

I'm about to start into reading Arthur C. Clarke's '3001: A Final Odyssey' - can anyone tell me if it's any good, and if I'd have to have read 2001 and 2010 to really get the 'gist' properly...?

Bard
    _____
    -me-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I've read 2001 and 2010 (there was a 2050 wasn't there?)

I haven't read 3001, but I would recommend that you read the others. Most series, don't really *need* an order, but Clarke is very detailed and has a lot of links between his stories. Little bits that hint at bits in other stories. So I'd say, go out and read ye 2001 and 2010 first. smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Corinthian

I've read all of them. I'd say you'd want to have read the other ones to appreciate 3001, although I had read the other ones beforehand and I still wasn't to impressed with 3001.

Mind you I've never thought Arthur C. Clarke was the best writer. He has some totally brilliant ideas, but his writing ability lets him down a bit (IMHO)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

The third one was 2061. Clarke's alright. Rendevous With Rama was always a fave.

Im going to the bear fights tomorrow, want to come with ??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

That's just reminded me - I need to get Garden of Rama (read the other 3).

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Zapper

Yep...the Rama series was damn good, didnt the 3rd 1 leave you with a bit of a cliffhanger there Kharn? I prefer his short works tho, did some gerat fictional essays, if you can find it the collection is called "report on planet three.." some good stuff in there. Baxk to topic tho. Bard, if i were you i'd read the first 3 books b4reading 3001, its a pretty complicated story, what with StarChilds and the such..if ya cant be buggered doing that, at least watch the film, Kubrick helped co-write the story so it's pretty close to the books. 2nd film is Sh!t tho frown.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

I have to confess i have a soft spot for 2010 -The Film. I think its one of the most underrated films. I can see why people wouldnt like it, but its great Science Fiction, whatever about its predecessor. I think their making a Rama film too, with Morgan Freeman and David Fincher (Fight Club to the uninitiated, shame on you!). THAT, would be cool.

Im going to the bear fights tomorrow, want to come with ??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Aye - Rama 3 left me on a cliffhanger, but I'd kinda forgotten to go get the 4th! I'll do it this weekend smile.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

Advertisement