Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

musicals and so-forth

Options
  • 19-09-2000 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

anyone here been or like to go to a musical or broadway sort of production.
    i went last month to see rent in the olympia and i have to say, its was pretty damn good.
    a bit aprehensive at first, i mean, only big girls blouses and such go to them right?
    well, 2 hours of singin and dancin and a good story line.
    nearly had me bawlin like a kid at one stage smile.gif
    i think madam butterfly is up next month in the national concert hall, so i think its about time to take in the opera. i could really get use to this stuff....

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've never been to one in RL, but I've watched countless musicals on video etc. My Ma (being a professional singer), sings a load of the musical songs in cabaret and the likes.

When's Madamme Butterfly eamo?

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I used to go to musicals a fair bit.

Nothing heavy, mainly Webber stuff.

Phantom of the opera, has to be a favourite of mine. Thought Cats was so-so.

West Side Story was good as well. You leave humming some of the catchier numbers.

Saw Madame Butterfly in London a few years ago. Great show. Can get a bit heavy now and then but well worth going to see.

Weird thing is, with most opera, it's like seeing a foreign film in a language you don't speak without subtitles. Except, you actually do understand what's going on. My Aunt in America got tickets to M. Butterfly last year. It was her first time to the opera. My Uncle is definitely not an Opera type person (well, stereo-type person). He loved it! But his one comment was "Would have been much better if they got rid of those stupid subtitles" ! Only in America....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭metalchicken

I LOVE musicals, they are great fun. smile.gif
    (I love 'em on video too)

Actually I love most things I see at the theatre, ballet, plays, musicals, whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

its nice to be surrounded by cultured people.
    and i dont mean people who just fell into a big pot of yoguhrt either.
    how do you spell yoghurt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Blood Brothers is the last musical I saw and it was excellent.
    I haven't been to a play lately but even the smaller productions are usually entertaining. Certainly an alternative to the cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

I really like music, listening and playing, but musicals....
    Only phantom of he opera really strikes a chord with me
    The Phantom of the opera is here, evil mastermind

Heh heh. Love that. smile.gif

Advertisement