Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google ads

Options
  • 08-11-2004 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this is a really stoopid question (or if this is the wrong forum) but how do the google ads work? Presume there is some sort of bot that links keyords (topics) to the google search engine.....just a bit curious to know how it all worked after i saw the google ad on this thread which kinda made me laugh
    BBW_dating.JPG

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

RuggieBear wrote:
    Presume there is some sort of bot that links keyords (topics) to the google search engine.
    That's it exactly. The bot is simply one of Google's regular spiders.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

nice browser there.

if you want these ad to go

download adblock from firefox extension site

then go to tools adblock >> preferences and make a new filter called with the line .googlesyndication.com

haven't seen a google ad in ages

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

>:|

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Thanks. thought it would be something like that. That really is target marketing isn't it!? advertising for BBW (!?) on a thread about a fat girlfriend....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Cremo wrote:
    haven't seen a google ad in ages
    Why block the ads? I can understand people blocking annoying pop ups but these are harmless. When ever someone clicks an ad some money goes to boards, dunno how much but everything counts i suppose.
    They are hardly noticable on the Cloud skin. I look at them now and again but never had any reason to click them, maybe someday :confused:

• Advertisement

actually i click on them as often as i can...well until i subscribe i might as well get as much money for Boards as i can....every cent counts!! :D

You know, google frown upon that sort of thing ...

ecksor wrote:
    You know, google frown upon that sort of thing ...

That figures! Well tbh, i really only click on the ones that might interest me but most of those tend to end up with lists of other sites and halflife2 download managers....

Just out of interest, how much is each click of agoogle ad worth...so i don't feel guilty for defrauding Google?

I don't know exactly. Clicking on ads you're interested in is fine though. Please don't defraud google!

grand, will do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I like google ads. On most sites they're not in the way, they're relevant, which is nice - i.e. on the Golf board, you'll get ads for Golf stuff. More importantly, the clicks go into boards's coffers, which is the main reason they're an exception in my adblocker.

The longer they're there, the more relevant the ads become, that is, I've seen ads for Irish services (most notable being blacknight). They're also not animated. A big plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

I have Opera as my browser. I find the Google ads to be a pain to be honest. The ads cover the pulldown list of forums leaving me unable to read them. Does this just happen on Opera? Is there a setting in Opera that will fix this? It's been bugging me for ages.

Advertisement