Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martin Jol confirmed as Tottenham manager

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Coumtay

heh, seriously though, every season I think that Spurs will somehow manage to pull themselves together and make a decent stab at things, they even started well this year, but then they always manage to shoot themselves in the foot and freak things up.....

Good luck to Jol though, hopefully it bodes well for Keano, Kelly, Yeates et al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i certainly dont think there is a crisis at spurs.
    we have the players.

we just need someone at the helm now (for longer than 13 games!)

no, we have a talented squad. defiantely built for the future, but certainly able to perform against the best today, we just need to start finally going forward.

maybe Jol wont. but then again, maybe what we need is someone who is out of the limelight, someone relatively unknown in the UK, without the super ego of hoddle, pleat, venebles etc, to just get on with being a manager and get the team playing well together.
    maybe he just might do it.
    his record is not cl football, but, we have to start somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

actually, i just read something that makes a lot of sense.
    people keep saying that Spurs need a manager with premier experience.

if i recall, Jol played for a few years in the UK, and will understand the passion of the english football.

if can combine that with his continental experience, then we may actually get a good, well rounded manager.
    time will tell of course, but i am actually a little more optemistic than i as before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I think the structures the board put together were actually mindful of this situation coming up, though I'm sure they never expected to have to put them into use this early.

In a way it's very intelligent, too often an entire football club seems to rely on the head coach with no safety net at all. With the Spurs structure, Santini couldn't bring in all his own staff and a whole host of new players but had to make do with what the board (and Arnesen) had given, in that way the players and staff see themselves as employees of the club and not employees of one man.

It would have it's drawbacks given that the head coach would not be able to make the club wholly his own but at the same time when one man gets fired (or resigns like now) it doesn't rip the heart out of the club with it. Too often I think we see the manager get the bullet for poor results and then his assistant, coaches, physios and a host of players follow him out the door. Most of the players for cut price deals because the new man doesn't want them and the staff recieving payoffs and whatnot to get out. It's a huge upheaval for a football club and can happen once every two or three years, that's just savage.

With the way Spurs have things now Jol seamlessly takes over and the person who bought the players is still around so they know that there is still confidence in club in them. It's a good way of doing things I reckon from a continuity and damage limitation perspective and we could see a lot more clubs go down the Director of Football/Head Coach/Able Assistant route.

I'd say a lot of clubs are looking at Spurs at the moment and being jealous at how unfúcked they are despite the unexpected loss of a manager. Food for thought for a lot of boards around the place I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

DapperGent wrote:
    I'd say a lot of clubs are looking at Spurs at the moment and being jealous at how unfúcked they are despite the unexpected loss of a manager. Food for thought for a lot of boards around the place I reckon.

well put DapperGent. Was at WHL at the weekend and just watched the 90 minutes tonight. Jol caught on quickly. Crap out, quality in. Carrick & Kelly in straight away ! Very competent tonight though they needed some luck in the 1st half.

Now if we can beat the Wengerboys on Saturday, Jol is headed for Billy Nick type of start as manager !. Every fibre of me is wishing for nothing else. I'd take a win on Saturday as my Christmas present now. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

It seems like Jol's appointment is good news for the Irish players. Kelly started his first game of the season and Keane scored 2 and set up the other tonight. :) BTW, judging by his interview I think we have a new Ranieri, very decent fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

jolly wrote:
    well put DapperGent. Was at WHL at the weekend and just watched the 90 minutes tonight. Jol caught on quickly. Crap out, quality in. Carrick & Kelly in straight away ! Very competent tonight though they needed some luck in the 1st half.

A slow start tonight, I thought Naybet looked off-form, hope his Ramadan fasting isn't having a negative effect. Once Carrick got a bit of space there was only gonna be one winner. Three magic goals, the passing was sublime at times.

Atmosphere at WHL was brilliant for the last 25 minutes, eh jolly? Robbo was like a man possessed, couldn't belive we ended up with Naybet up front for the last 10 minutes!
    jolly wrote:
    Now if we can beat the Wengerboys on Saturday, Jol is headed for Billy Nick type of start as manager !.

Loved his reaction to the fans after tonight's win. Clenched fist salute, gratefully received. I've a feeling he will be a very shrewd appointment, he's got good credentials and he knows the English game from his time at West Brom, that has to be a good thing.

Advertisement