Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some advice please...

Options
  • 08-11-2004 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Maybe someone can give me some direction here.....not looking for the answers, just some advice..

I've just completed a basic C++ course which included designing/developing some basic GUIs and visual displays e.g. a simulation of a petrol pump display...

I've taken on a project in work where I have to put my new found (basic) programming skills to work, but I don't think my course content will cover everyting..

I won't bore you with the exact details of the project, but basically I want to develop a display which will have 3 counters incrementing by the hour, and when certain values are reached by each of the counters, a certain image will be displayed to the side.

The only counters I've had experience are the ones which are diplayed in an editbox type. I'm looking for somethinga bit fancier - but I'm not sure how to go about this.

Getting the image stuff sorted should be fine - just get it to change at differnt values of the counters.

Any inout or good web links would be much appreciated. Google isn't helping much at the moment.

Thanks,

T.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

what sort of counters?
    Text like a digital display or what?
    The more info you can provide the better for both of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭TemplarBarna

yea...an incrementing text display...increments every hour...1,2,3,4...500 (this is when the image will change)..

I know I could do it using the Timer component, but I've only done this for displaying a count in an EditBox....I'd like to have a nice graphical text display of the hours incrementing...

oh...I need to have a way of reseting the counter...

Are there ay sites which offer pre-written code for such counter types??

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Hmmm if I was you I'd avoid comments like that if you want help on here. Read the charter, you need to at least try yourself dude.
    Got any code to show us?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

...Timer component...

What compiler are you using...?

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭TemplarBarna

GreeBo wrote:
    Hmmm if I was you I'd avoid comments like that if you want help on here. Read the charter, you need to at least try yourself dude.
    Got any code to show us?

fair one...I'm only at the design stage at the moment. I was really looking for a site which might have an example of the display I'm looking for.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

You could probably find nice images of digits (1..9) somewhere free, you could then use your timer component to display the appropriate digit images as your display, might be easier than trying to find a nice counter control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 maxcherry

Advertisement