Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem with Direct debit

Options
  • 08-11-2004 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hello folks

I have a problem with my bank paying direct debits from my account without written permission.

I signed up to a certain phone company a few months ago and they were going to send me out a contract and a direct debit mandate to pay the bills. They asked for the DD details on the phone.

They then started to DD money from my account without any written consent or verbal consent. I received no bills or dd mandate as promised.
    I went to the bank who were unhelpful. They cancelled the dd and promised not to pay anymore dd's but they then paid a further DD.

I asked them for written proof of the DD, they have declined to answer. They say they have nothing in writing.

Where can i go from here? Who is in the wrong?

Thanks for your time.
    Monty Burns

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭samo

I'm no expert on this but banks are accountable if you have cancelled a direct debit and they continue to take payment I THINK they are liable to refund you. I hope its not UTV as the phone company cos I just signed up with them, there is some new website out funded by IFRSA (irish Financial regulatory services authority). From what i know a complaint lodged to IFRSA for most financial institutions will scare the bejesus out of them!

If you google that website it will have the answer you are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Make a written complaint to the manager of your branch & send it by registered post, asking for them to refund the unapproved debits. You should also complain to the company making the debits in writing.

Advertisement