Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my new Spec a bit expensive

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Azza

I have heard that the FX 55 uses strained silicon making it a better overclocker than previous FX's still very expensive though.

I would recommend the AMD 64 3500 Winchester your looking at on a water cooled rig your looking at coming very close to 3.0Ghz from to 2.2Ghz and over 3.0 Ghz on phase cooling. I've been told with phase cooling and a volt modded board huge overclocks are available.

If your gonna overclock avoid the Gigabyte motherboards. There usually feature leaden and realitively stable but very pricey and not great overclockers. My personal choice would be to wait a short while (week or two) and see if you can spot the new DFI 939 motherboard. If its anything like its 754 counterpart it will blow the other boards away. You only need to hold off another couple of weeks for sli to appear on boards and you could get two 6800 GT's for the near ultimate gaming experince.

Not a fan of maxtor hard drive would prefer Western Digital and Samsung. People are being a bit harsh on raptor drives when in truth they should be harsh on raid instead. One raptor on its own is fine. I can speak from experience two on raid 0 will earn you about 2-3% on average speed boost real world. Don't be lulled by benchmarks of raid 0 check out real world use's for it. Secondly the 36.7G raptors are generation I raptor and preform poorer than there 74G Raptor generation II.

Ram wise I would not bother with 2 gig's of ram as feck all applications or games need it. More over I believe running 2 Gigs of pc 3200 ram on AMD 64 motherboard will see the speed being reduced to 333mhz from 400mhz. I know a freind who has this problem and I believe its a common occurance on AMD 64 boards. More ram makes it harder to overclock also. Best AMD 64 ram on the market is the OCZ Enhanced bandwidth which at high voltage can reach much higher latencys and maintain its tight timings which are essential for AMD 64. Otherwise the OCZ Enhanced Latency Rev 2 comes runner up (but overall better when including non AMD 64 format) which has even tighter timings at stock and can reach insane speeds as 616mhz. Note though overall the higher the mhz speed the slacker the tightens get so the optimum is around 580mhz. Overall though the Enhanced bandwidth edges it. Note we are taking about voltages or around 3.1 and the only boards to do that without being modded are dfi.

Just wait a short peroid of time till say christmas and then make your move is my advice.
    Damn a rig such as this would make my rigs look silly. I may have to retaliate with 2 SLI Rigs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Dataisgod wrote:
    also there are other psu's worth looking into like the antec neopower which are completely modular like the ultra X-connect psu.

Is that not the PSU i selected?

as for the DVD burners you might have a point. although it dose depend on the quality of the harware.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

jessy wrote:
    Is that not the PSU i selected?

as for the DVD burners you might have a point. although it dose depend on the quality of the harware.

nah i'm thinking of this one the ultra X connect

http://thetechzone.com/?m=show&id=104 , which is like the neopower but completely modular

with regards to the dvd burners, the quality of the hardware and its read and write abilities is what you'll have to look into before purchasing. anandtech recently did a round up 16X dvd writers. think the nec might have come out on top. my advice would be to pick up one of these and then look at the small areas in which it is deficient and pick up another drive that covers these areas if you are intend on getting to.

otherwise look out for a toshiba dvd-rom, my one is a great reader

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Not a fan of maxtor hard drive would prefer Western Digital and Samsung. People are being a bit harsh on raptor drives when in truth they should be harsh on raid instead. One raptor on its own is fine. I can speak from experience two on raid 0 will earn you about 2-3% on average speed boost real world. Don't be lulled by benchmarks of raid 0 check out real world use's for it. Secondly the 36.7G raptors are generation I raptor and preform poorer than there 74G Raptor generation II.

That's true, I wouldn't normally go for maxtors either but those particular drives perform nearly as good as 74gig raptors, have a lot more space and are cheaper.

BlooodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

€4000-5000 without phasechange??? thats a crazy price for a system. You could easily build a system with more power for less than that, if u bought a flight to the USA and bought the parts over there and brought them back. For 4000-5000 u could build 2 KICKASS systems. in answer to yourquestion "Is my new spec a bit expensive", simple answer is YES it definitly is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

A dedicated RAID controller (PCI-X?) with 4 10k disks in RAID 5 would be a better option if you wanted to spend that amount of money.

Kali wrote:
    A dedicated RAID controller (PCI-X?) with 4 10k disks in RAID 5 would be a better option if you wanted to spend that amount of money.
    cant u get 15k+ scsi drives

gline wrote:
    €4000-5000 without phasechange??? thats a crazy price for a system. You could easily build a system with more power for less than that, if u bought a flight to the USA and bought the parts over there and brought them back. For 4000-5000 u could build 2 KICKASS systems. in answer to yourquestion "Is my new spec a bit expensive", simple answer is YES it definitly is

Why buy from America your just going to pay the difference in tax anyways.
    Lots of people say it way to expensive but no one has attempted to put anything on paper yet, "You could easily build a system with more power for less" fair enough but where can I get these components for half the price.

Can someone build a better system for half the price, and if so can you post the spec here? Keep in mind that the current spec is ~€3200

I said if u travelled to america and carried in the parts, u could get away with import tax. Put it this way , my rig roughly cost less then €1500 and thats paying import on some stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

I'm sure I'm missing the whole point of your spec being the best possible but would you not be better off spending maybe 1.5->2k, then popping the rest into some sort of high earning savings account and in a years time upgrade what you have, and the chances are it will money better spent as your pc will be top of the range for 2years running instead of overkill for one...

• Advertisement

A fair point

chump wrote:
    I'm sure I'm missing the whole point of your spec being the best possible but would you not be better off spending maybe 1.5->2k, then popping the rest into some sort of high earning savings account and in a years time upgrade what you have, and the chances are it will money better spent as your pc will be top of the range for 2years running instead of overkill for one...

IMHO i dont think you can build a top spec compleat system for 1500 -2000.

What do you think is overkill in my spec?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Without an lcd you can but your looking at around 600e-800e for a decent 19" lcd on top of that.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

jessy wrote:

Not at all. If you must have the WOW factor, then all you're missing now is a top of the line projector. Check out the one in my sig. I could cut you a deal if you're interested. Either way enjoy spending your megabucks! :cool:

what good is a projector for a pc, the bulbs dont last long enough and they are expensive. If you use your pc a lot and for games a projector is no good for you unless your rich and can afford a supply of bulbs, hehehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Well a bulb can last up to 3000 hours.. Work it out.. Costs 300 quid to replace..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

that floppy drive looks a bit overpriced - surely you could get an old one and paint it black?

Well a bulb can last up to 3000 hours.. Work it out.. Costs 300 quid to replace..
    €300 euro for a spare sony bulb??? where?? If u use your pc 8 hours a day its about a years usage, or 4 hours a day thats 2 years. A TFT would last how many years???? I just dont think projectors are practical for pcs, only good for odd usage, like watching films etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

gline wrote:
    €300 euro for a spare sony bulb??? where?? If u use your pc 8 hours a day its about a years usage, or 4 hours a day thats 2 years. A TFT would last how many years???? I just dont think projectors are practical for pcs, only good for odd usage, like watching films etc
    It will last longer then, more time to save for a new one!

Jozi

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

There's no such thing as a future proof PC. Spending 4-5k on a PC is madness. It'll all be obsolete in no time and you'll have to upgrade gfx, cpu, anyway.
    The RAM is OTT, the CPU totally is, the only smart thing you did was choose a 6800GT over an ultra extreme super expensive edition.

A decent system with an Athlon 64, 6800GT, gig of RAM, that's all you need.

• Advertisement

koneko wrote:
    There's no such thing as a future proof PC. Spending 4-5k on a PC is madness. It'll all be obsolete in no time and you'll have to upgrade gfx, cpu, anyway.
    The RAM is OTT, the CPU totally is, the only smart thing you did was choose a 6800GT over an ultra extreme super expensive edition.

A decent system with an Athlon 64, 6800GT, gig of RAM, that's all you need.

Why is the AMD 64 3500 OTT? I never said anything about future proofing.

Very little I do is about need. And I would imagine that that would go for most people here, if you don’t believe me then just look at there specs, who needs a 4Ghz chip and a 6800GT, no one, that’s who.

I started this tread to see if any one could get those parts I listed cheaper, not to be criticized about my choice in parts. I am open to advice than any one will give (and have taken Some advice), but your not giving advice your making statements.

"A decent system with an Athlon 64, 6800GT, gig of RAM, that's all you need"
    That’s a statement, in your opinion. How is that relevant to this thread?

Yeah... hi.. take a chill pill? If you had started this thread saying "I don't want anyone to post any opinions" then that's fine. You didn't. You asked people for input otherwise you wouldn't have started my thread. Anything I give is going to be my opinion, I'm not posting things with a big disclaimer that says "AND THIS IS A FACT, DEAL WITH IT". Seriously, get off that high horse of yours.

In my opinion spending €875.31 on a CPU is overkill, but maybe that's just me. A 3200+ would give good performance for the price.

If you can't take a tiny bit of criticism, or ... not even criticism... FEEDBACK, then I'd say go home, disconnect from the internet and have a lie down. You're seriously getting too worked up over some advice someone gave you on a message board.

I think he is leaning towards the AMD 64 3500 which is only about €350+ not the €875 for any FX which I think he's been warned off. Interestingly on air the winchester 3000 3200 and 3500 all overclocked to the same speed on air. to get above say about 2.6 your going need water cooling.

Yeah. I've never been a big fan of spending too much on hardware. I buy good stuff and all, I always have a good (ish) system, people say I upgrade or spend too much money as it is but I always get the stuff with a good performance: price ratio (like the Ti4200 when it was out).

Whenever I spend a lot of money on something it becomes outdated nearly as fast as the mid (to high) range stuff.

There's some good watercooling kits out there now, less need to mix and match stuff. It's good to keep in the system and just get a mid-range CPU and overclock the bejaysus out of it :) Then upgrade the CPU once in a while and maybe the CPU block if you need to, and you're off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

jessy wrote:
    if you don’t believe me then just look at there specs, who needs a 4Ghz chip and a 6800GT, no one, that’s who.

ah your wrong here. i recently came up against the limits of my system. i'd like to be able to run battlefield vietnam at 1600*1200 on max detail to take advantage of my new monitor. however at this resolution with my cpu and graphics card the game has too low an FPS however with the with those components mentioned above i'd be able to do it. the result being i penciling in a new rig for mid next year when i should have the cash.

data

Hmmm Data I think your only hope for play 1600x1200 max resolution is an sli rig. Interestingly Battlefield vietnam is one of the few games known to perform better on the P4 than the AMD 64. Don't know why.

jessy wrote:

I started this tread to see if any one could get those parts I listed cheaper, not to be criticized about my choice in parts. I am open to advice than any one will give (and have taken Some advice), but your not giving advice your making statements.

"A decent system with an Athlon 64, 6800GT, gig of RAM, that's all you need"
    That’s a statement, in your opinion. How is that relevant to this thread?
    The answer is yes you will probably be able to get these parts cheaper outside the eu, i know you want people to tell you where and you want exact prices, but to be honest i dont really want to go and search around for prices for people. If you check on sites outside the EU you will find cheaper prices then anywhere in europe, all u need is someone decent to ship u them in (someone that will write a cheaper value on them), and u will save a packet. About 60-70% of my rig was bought in the states and I can tell u, it saved me a fortune

Gline, the only problem with getting people to write a cheaper value on parcels is that if they get lost, you won't be covered for the full value :eek:

Its the chance you take, i personnally have never had a problem with that, but you are right. Depends what company you use to ship, i have used fed ex, UPS, and USPS and they have all been fine, never lost anything, and i had my fx shipped over by USPS. You are right though, it is at your own risk, but you will get parts a hell of a lot cheaper

• Advertisement

Very true. Had an unfortunate incident with something along those lines so it's something I'd prefer to avoid when I can, but you're right it works out much cheaper.

Advertisement