Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rules, regulations, conversing with walls

• 08-11-2004 7:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

I spend time writing up rules, requirements, things to help people.

Alot of ye (anyone who attends a galway lan) don't seem to read them.

For the next lan, I'm deffinately enforcing the payment rules.

You will have to pay into the bank 2 weeks before the lan and inform me by email that you have done so.
    I will then mark you off as being paid/confirmed as going on the room101.org posting.
    Anyone left unpaid/unconfirmed after that deadline will be mailed, warning them. Please check that your email address on room101.org is valid and you can recieve mail.
    You must respond to the mail sent from the organisors.
    Anyone who doesn't respond to the mail WILL BE REMOVED FROM THE ATTENDEES LIST and their space given to anyone on the waiting list.

I'm am sick and tired of people not showing up and me having to worry about covering the cost of equipment, furniture and venue rental.
    I don't need that kind of stress.

In future this is what will happen when you arrive at the lan:
    • You come in, go straight to the sign-in desk, where your name is taken, and you're marked as being here.
    • You settle any payments at the desk (eg. if you had been moved up from the waiting list etc.)
    • You then sign-up to what ever competitions you wish to take part in.
    • You bring in your PC, set it up and run a virus scan using the latest definitions. A CD with the neccessary scanning tools etc. will be supplied.
      If you are infected, we will try to remove it.
      NO NETWORK CONNECTION UNTIL YOU ARE DEEMED SAFE TO CONNECT.
      It is your responsibility to have your machine clean and up-to-date.
      Lack of broadband is not an excuse.
    • Having verified your machine's security, you will then be assigned an IP address and will be connected to a switch.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

No goddamn windows shares either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

i agree with #2 , it think we are well past windows shares now and aren't living in the stone age anymore.
    they just bring unneccessary traffic and are very very unefficient.
    also its no good if you are sharing and using windows while everyone else is usings an ftp server, everyone else being 85% of the attendees.
    it isn't that hard setup and ftp server and if you ARE having trouble dont be afraid to ask.

sorry about spelling. kinda tired :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Why don't we just use DC++? So much easier :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Anima wrote:

Because it's even worse than windows shares.
    Nukes the network bandwidth.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Anima wrote:
    If you're going to suggest something as ludicrous as P2P, why not choose something decent that distributes well, like BitTorrent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

sounds reasnoable. Going to the bank wouldn't be that difficult, but it will be a first for me, for a lan. It will be like ticket master I presume ?? If u buy a ticket/seat u cannot get a refund. You must sell it on urself. Therefor the reply email must be like a reciept. Its all perfectly legal. :) (it is also legal for me to say its legal without it actually being legal, because I'm not an expert in the legal side of that law)

If you're going to suggest something as ludicrous as P2P, why not choose something decent that distributes well, like BitTorrent?

I don't mind what program we use. I was just using DC++ as an example because of its simplicity. It just seems like more and more people don't bother setting servers up as each lan goes by. Mainly because they can't be arsed, me included :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

SyxPak wrote:
    [*]You then sign-up to what ever competitions you wish to take part in.

Finally, no more running around for quetzal (though the rare excersise is probably good for me)

The sharing.....more people seemed to have windows file sharing up than ftp servers at the last one, can't ye block it in some way / kick anyone using them out?

que

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Fobia wrote:
    The sharing.....more people seemed to have windows file sharing up than ftp servers at the last one, can't ye block it in some way / kick anyone using them out?

que
    It's very easy to trawl a LAN quickly for open Windows shares. Given the propensity of the blasted things towards spreading worms, the penalty should be suitably draconian.

It really is amazing how moronic people can be with regards software, including the neon clad, self styled "overcloaking mastas".

Robbo wrote:
    It really is amazing how moronic people can be with regards software, including the neon clad, self styled "overcloaking mastas".

Cleggan lads? They's hardwea' gooroo's, not softwea'

• Advertisement

Anima wrote:
    It just seems like more and more people don't bother setting servers up as each lan goes by. Mainly because they can't be arsed, me included :).

And you'll be one of the first people bitching when ye get nuked by viruii.
    "Can't be arsed" is not an excuse.

FileZilla Server is easy to setup, as are Serv-U and other popular ftpds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Make a competition for entered cs teams.. none of this random teams bullshít. Its so ridiculous when people who have no clue how cs is supposed to be played end up winning...

I'm sure i'm not the only one who thinks this.

you would get alot more interest if there was imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

For that very reason it is best we dont.

For that very reason it is best we dont.

Aye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

Fobia wrote:
    Aye.
    bugger off to waterford, etc. and realize your wet dreams there

Ruffty^ wrote:
    bugger off to waterford, etc. and realize your wet dreams there

Waterford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

waterford isn't that were genesis is from, the guy who reckoned he was the best in his area but who got pwoned by koppa?

Genesis just to be SiNs old name. Your thinking of Nemesis and he was beaten by Koopa. :)

Anima wrote:
    Genesis just to be SiNs old name. Your thinking of Nemesis and he was beaten by Koopa. :)

Aye.

• Advertisement

Fobia wrote:
    Waterford?
    Aye.

DRakE wrote:
    Aye.

Aye?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

"Aye", this might interest the 3 of yee http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display.php/147 (joke; couldn`t resist)

Ruffty^ wrote:
    "Aye", this might interest the 3 of yee http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display.php/147 (joke; couldn`t resist)

Aye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Young fellas these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I have not been to a lan event for more than 7-8 years ago so ignore my ignorance...but

<snip> I assume they're still what they used to be? </snip>

Thanks Ed......

Cheers guys (I say guys becuase somehow I don't imagine many girls involded in this venture)

We've had a few women at lans before.

2?

One as far as I remember..

This reminds me of last night at work.. we had PS2's in Halo because of the XMas party..

Long story short, I proved that I was a real man, by mercilessly beating a girl who'd never played before at Tekken4.

I'm THE MAN!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

SyxPak wrote:
    We've had a few women at lans before.
    dancingpriest doesn't count...

sorry man

Advertisement