Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like the right place to ask...

Options
  • 08-10-2000 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Any budding poets or short story writers out there? Like to get your work published on the web?... does this sound like a spam?... well it ain't... I'm putting together a website at www.scaryeire.com (believe me - the site thats sitting there at the moment is nothing compared to what I've gathered or what it will be, but I can't really do this alone)... one of the suggestions for the theme of the site is as a repository of literature... so if anyone would like to contribute, hit the site, click the email link and let me know, eh?

Ideas for theme of site so far:
    * Repository of Irish literature (with a scary theme)
    * Satire site a-lá bowsie.com
    * Site of reviews of plays or other events in Ireland

...anyone?

Bard
    _____
    -me-

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

I wrote a poen recently.
    2 actually. One was quake related smile.gif
    I might post that here sometime smile.gif

The other was simply me trying to write pure trash and see if someone would actually think its good. I might post that also.
    So I guess this is a totally pointless reply.
    O well. Sorry smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

i'm sure i have some stories i can give - everything i write is horror in some form or another smile.gif really ****es my teachers off biggrin.gif

ps. dont pay attention to the sh!te on my site, i havent updated in ages and i wrote them years ago (excuses, excuses)

pps i tink the site is down btw. i cant get to it
    Yossarian Lives
    PD Rank - 8: Deadly

[This message has been edited by whitetrash (edited 08-10-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

http://www.iol.ie/~robertf/scribings/

Weird excessively teen-angsty stuff I wrote a few years ago. I went back and re-read it a couple of months ago; cringed a bit at some of it, but I suppose it isn't bad all in all. I can see now why my English teacher was worried about me, mind; I think for the entire 6 years of me being in school, I never once handed in a short story that didn't feature a major character dying or angsty bleating about death!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Thats actually very good Shinji.
    You wrote these for leaving cert English? The poetry aside (sry but it was awful - in comparison to good poetry like, not mine cause its even worse ,might show ye sometime smile.gif) you have a a good ability to create atmosphere. I did notice an amateurish touch to many of the metaphors and descriptions, but dont take that as an insult, because your not that far from really publishable english (if you could keep it up for a whole book smile.gif)
    Anyway, well done. Some really nice stuff, that I think I might just take inspiration from for my LC smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I actually used the one about the two lads caught in the storm for the Leaving. I think the examiner probably granted my A on the basis that he thought I was suicidal or something... smile.gif

Yes, the poetry is f*cking awful. I only keep it around as a reminder never to write poetry again! smile.gif

It's been a few years since I wrote any fiction, I've been doing entirely journalism stuff in that time, but I'm going back to fiction now - I'm writing plot and dialogue for an RPG, of all things! It's rather good fun, and god knows, might even get me back working on some decent fiction writing...

Regarding the Leaving - I know a lot of people who feel stifled by the titles you get to work with. Here's a hint; regard them as a small but unimportant challenge. Write the story you want to write, and then fit it around the title; or use the title as a germ of an idea, and then go off at a tangent. Any English teacher who complains that you aren't sticking to the title laid down... well, ask them how many Mocking-Birds were slaughtered in "To Kill A Mocking-Bird"... smile.gif

Ja,
    Rob

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

well, ask them how many Mocking-Birds were slaughtered in "To Kill A Mocking-Bird"
    Yeh, what an anti-climax that was. ;/

....but don't we all know the feeling of driving to town and suddenly realizing you still have your barn boots on....or reaching over to pick up carrots at the store and having alfalfa fall out of your hair.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

are Brian and David gay biggrin.gif ;p

Living for the Leaving is good. "The pool of light cast by the desklamp is a sanctuary, its sharply defined edges a barrier against intruders. My whole world lies within that light, beyond which everything is dark and still. My entire mind, my entire being, is concentrated on that spot of illumination, and the books within." Ironic that the opposite is true.

[This message has been edited by Blitzkrieger (edited 10-10-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Just in case anyone's made any submissions for the site, the email address that WAS on the contact page is wrong and I wont have gotten anything sent to it. The correct address is webmaster@scaryeire.net

Cheers,

bard.gif

Advertisement