Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wet room flooring advice

• 08-11-2004 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭

Hi there,

The main bathroom of my newly built house is a wet room ie.the shower is open with no tray or surrounds.
    Has anyone any advice on what kind of tiling I should put down-there's a VERY limited variety of specific non-slip tiles out there.
    Has anyone just put down ordinary tiles?I dont want the room to be slippy and dangerous.
    Thanks. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭The Rooster

The Property Section in last Thursday's Irish Times had an article on wet rooms and what to do. Unfortunately I only briefly glanced at it so cant remember what it said, but maybe you might be able to get your hands on the paper

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I have tiled 2 wetrooms and both had mosaic tiles, so there was better grip on the floor, no slippage
    I will be doing the same now in our own house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭twinkletoes

Many thanks for the advice,I will look up last thursdays Times and mosaic tiles sounds good too,
    cheers. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

you can get a non slip covering for tiles, got some last year for the mothers house, it dulls the tiles a little, but its €30 in right price tiles, comes with a little roller etc, its fairly tough and you might need to reapply it every now and then, in a year it has not warn off the kitchen floor, a wet room would different i guess, but it would have less traffic over all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

You could also look at using a high quality rubber tile, take a gander at
    http://www.polyflor.com , I am thinking of putting
    these down in my new bathroom. The round studded tile is something
    like you see in airports, etc. and a special water resistant adhesive
    can be used. Should feel a bit 'warmer' than conventional ceramic
    tiles.

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Oh, go for underfloor heating. :D Not only is it warmer underfoot, the floor dries better also.

What about a linoleum finish (there are non-slip varieties)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭twinkletoes

you can get a non slip covering for tiles,

does it work well - and do you think it would work well if you were standing on it in bare feet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

It does work well, bare or covered foot alike, it puts a bit of a gritty surface on the tile, you have to clean the floor all over, then use a bottle of green stuff that comes in the pack. It looks grand , i put it on the floor by the back door to the yard so people are in and out all the time and it gets wet, the only thing is that i only put it on in the kitchen entrance, so the dining area of the kitchen is uncovered but has the same tiles, the uncovered tiles are brighter, i.e the covering dulls things up a bit but if you covered everything then you wont notice the difference, the shower floor will be wetter but used less, i'd give it a lash, particulatly if you could keep the existing tiles, you have little to loose do it some night before you go to bed

Advertisement