Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 2's gay night

Options
  • 08-11-2004 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

Has anyone else seen the advertisements for RTE 2's gay night next Saturday? it's line-up includes this years Alternative miss Ireland and "The Rocky Horrer Picture Show". Now don't get me wrong, it's well and good that we have some sort of recognition on Irish TV but we're not all Transvestites, and it does seem like a very sterotypical line-up. Anyone else agree?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

oh c'mon.....u know u want to......... ;)

Give yourself over..... to absolute pleasure
    Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
    Erotic nightmares beyond any measure
    And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
    Can't you just see it?

Don't dream it - be it. :p

Twill be fun, i just wish I could see my cranky old neighbours face when *her* RTE is taken oooo-ver! hehe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭boomdogman

Yeah most gay guys get total turned off by the whole campy-draggy stuff but its RTE for chrissakes, would you expect My Private Idaho? and Why is it always about those poor drag queens, tho hardly fair to describe their lame efforts as regal. Can any one help them?
    Paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Lemon

Good of RTE to give us some recognition at least - pity it is in mainly in the form of bewigged men prancing about miming to straight musicians songs...! In light of the news today of two lesbians bringing a case to the high court demanding equal taxation rights I think this makes RTEs attempt at inclusiveness look a little shallow dont you think??! Funnily enough, RTE 1 featured a show tonight about barristers, men and women who like to prance about fancy buildings wearing silly wigs and talking nonsense, so maybe we are not geting such a bad deal....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Aava

At least I finally get to see The Rocky Horror Picture Show... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Lemon

Yeah there is that - I've never seen it myself - I think the night will be a bit of craic. Thats great news about the lesbians in the high court eh??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭dictatorcat

Well admitedly i am looking foreward to the rocky horrer picture show, i've seen it twice and can finally record it for future watching!

what, my lovely posts get deleted when all i was trying to do was point out to somone slagging it of, saing it was insulting etc..... that the ad calls it Camp Night an not Gay Night which are vastly different things an he should lighten up?
    And yet, his anti-drag post gets left untouched? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Has anyone else seen the advertisements for RTE 2's gay night next Saturday? it's line-up includes this years Alternative miss Ireland and "The Rocky Horrer Picture Show". Now don't get me wrong, it's well and good that we have some sort of recognition on Irish TV but we're not all Transvestites, and it does seem like a very sterotypical line-up. Anyone else agree?

I think that in many ways you are 100% right but you have got to think that we 'gays' should take every oppertunity to get the public to recognise us for what we are and if it was not the drags on rte on thurs i doubt we'd get any gay,lesbian,bi on the network.
    I figure it takes 1 person to stand up and make a difference. so in many ways it give us all a good push in the right direction for each person to go out and get their own opinions heard on their own issues

Drag, camp, mincing prancing clowns do not represent me nor is showing them as entertainment to str8s helping me in any way or "giving us coverage". These are the Aunt Toms of the gay world, part of the oppression.

Sorry Frankenfurter that you got deleted, argued before for free speech but nobody censors quicker than the self styled liberals.

boomdogman wrote:
    Drag, camp, mincing prancing clowns do not represent me nor is showing them as entertainment to str8s helping me in any way or "giving us coverage". These are the Aunt Toms of the gay world, part of the oppression.
    Ya know what boom?......
    Fine, hate drag, hate camp people, your choice to be a hateful person,.... dont bother me much, *BUT* your use of hateful terms (which is unnecessary) and infantile attempts to mete out blame for societies intolerances *does* affect me.

In a lot of ways, *I* would be considered "camp", however, I do not see myself as somone adding to any aspect of societies oppression.
    To me, your refusal to acknowledge that there are as many types of people in the gay world as in the straight world is imho oppressive in the extreme.

Would you be as quick to badmouth the overly macho *str8* guys an gals I cant help wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I can see both sides of what you're saying. There is often too much of a focus on a particular way of gay living on television that can - if your eyes are a little bit closed - lead you to believe that all gay men are camp or enjoy drag. It used to irritate me too because I could never identify with what TV presented me with as what it meant to be gay and it would be nice to see this side also ("Six Feet Under" is an example of a show that does this somewhat). My parents often based their perceptions on this picture shown to them and, initially, found it harder to associate my being gay with what they thought they knew. For those reasons, it would be nice to see other elements.

However, it's been pointed out the night is Camp Night and, in my venerable age, I've gotten over a lot of the stigma that I, in the end, was attaching to the word. It's not a serious treatise on homosexuality, but designed to be a bit of fun. Having looked at the guide, I may watch it or I may not but either way its contents don't offend me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Sorry Frankenfurter that you got deleted, argued before for free speech but nobody censors quicker than the self styled liberals.

Jeez, miserable much?

Of course, if it doesn't represent you, it doesn't represent anyone huh! Frankly, you should just get over your issues with it and get on with life - live and let live...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

I can see what both sides are saying here TBH.

It's great that RTE have decided to have a camp/gay night - it's something of a step forward.

However, it's disappointing that they have decided to zoom in one aspect of homosexuality - which, no matter what way RTE name it, is what the night in question is about (considering the woman on the ad goes off listing famous gay people such as Oscar Wilde and Ellen de Generes).

Camp behaviour is only one part of the diverse pool of homosexuality - and, in that sense, portraying that this behaviour encompasses all gay people is sending out the wrong message. Whether we, as open-minded people on this forum choose to see it that way is one thing, but the general public, for the most part, will.

We really did need a more open approach to this - perhaps a documentary, perhaps something like Six Feet Under. Something that shows that homosexuality goes beyond Graham Norton - something that doesn't make me (and probably others) want to leap back into their closets for cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 brandy32

ye, tis about time rte gave us something.it,ll probably b riddeled with adds though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

brandy32 wrote:
    it,ll probably b riddeled with adds though

*Hoping the 2nd last word was not a typo.*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

josie wrote:
    I think that in many ways you are 100% right but you have got to think that we 'gays' should take every oppertunity to get the public to recognise us for what we are and if it was not the drags on rte on thurs i doubt we'd get any gay,lesbian,bi on the network.

RTE has been "homo central" since the sixties, half the organisation must be gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Well, there are a large number of gay people in the legal profession and we still don't have laws which make us equal. There's a lot of gays yes, but they are not pushing the "homosexual agenda" - to use a reactionaries words.

I don't hate drag queens or cmp people. I DO hate the fact that some people think this is representative of gay people or being gay. This is oppression. Tell a young GAA player, or a bloke working on building site dealing with being gay. RTE's "camp" night makes their lifes harder. I don't want recognition like this.

"Macho" is a kind of camp,an affectation, tho usually not one that is used in conjunction with gay in public by straights.

My objection to this tiresome Camp Night is precisely because it obscures the fact that there are a huge variety of people who are gay, not just camp or drag queens. So why is it always this that we see?

The Rocky Horror is fun and I hope to direct a production of it in about 18 months time. The film is a bit disconnected, needs the audience tho Tim Curry is great as Frankenfurter.

On another note I am always amused by the utter inability of some contributers to make a point without trying to insult the holder of an opposing view. Frankenfurter is neither in a position nor entitled by anything approaching civil discourse to judge wheter I am a"hateful person". If you have a point , make it. If you don't, insults don't add up to one.
    Paddy

boomdogman wrote:
    Why is it always about those poor drag queens, tho hardly fair to describe their lame efforts as regal. Can any one help them?.........

Drag, camp, mincing prancing clowns........

These are the Aunt Toms of the gay world, part of the oppression.
    Yup, all loving, accepting remarks, no implied hatred there at all atall :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Next Saturday? Is that today the 13th or next Saturday the 20th?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Saturday the 13th.

The pastiche on 1965 RTÉ was rather well done.

Actually, fun as the Alternative Miss Ireland piece was, I am rather annoyed that Renttecca was not shown at all. Renttecca certainly won the popular vote in 2001, and brought both class and challenge to the drag scene in Dublin.

(sulks)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 brandy32

so wat u think of the gay nite on rte,i,m just interested in how many viewers they got and would it b announced/published

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Cringe-worthy. The jokes were dreadful. The fake news broadcast was appalling. Sorry to say that I knew the male presenter in that Eurosong parody - that was dreadful too. We turned back to Conan O'Brien after a few minutes of that vile trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

it was CAMP not GAY

though strange then so few if any nongay camp people featured
    Liked the Eurovision thingy

Love Rocky Horror but didn't watch (reminds me of the love of my life, lol you can work out why and how)

men in womens clothes featured an awful awful lot

witht he amount of gay personalities in entertainment maybe they could produce a gay themed night with more substance

but the there is a prominent man in the entertainment world, on more than one tv show, and appears cosntantly on other programmes and radio, and its never mentioned he is gay

which is ok if he doesn't want to be "out" (lauhable idea in his circumstance)
    but often questions are put tohim , where he could be affective, could voice an opinion , and contribute in some real way to what gay young guys experienc,e just sad he doesnt

Six Feet Under is definitely the best programme I've seen that presents gay people as, very much the same , in horniness, affection, needs, mental health, or illness

Cringeworthy? If it could be described as worthy! Why must we endure such rubbish? And what is it about that Shirley Temple Bar that so fascinates someone in scheduling? Do we really need the life adventutres and video game?

Six Feet Under was the first time I saw real gay people presented as human beings, but why the brutal broadcast times?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Network 2 has brutal broadcast time for everything, they seriously need to fire the scheduling staff.

Advertisement