Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda Checkpoints last weekend?

Options
  • 08-11-2004 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

Anybody else notice a massive increase in Garda checkpoints last weekend and continuing on this week?

I live up in Donegal at the moment and their just everywhere around, even have the old Gatso van (first i seen up here) out today. When i say a massive increase i mean from almost little or no garda action up here the past while to a checkpoint on most roads in the past 3 days.

Just wondering if the rest of the country is similar for some strange reason?

Farlz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭stevieg_irl

thereis a good few around Clare
    bout 3 weeks ago on a friday there was aload of checkpoints(tax,insurance)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

yeaa, these are the same really tax/insurance/unreg'd cars.

They'll probably keep it up all week and then go back to tea drinking for a few months again.

Farlz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

Drove from Castleknock to Lucan via Clonsilla on Sat eve - saw a checkpoint on Castleknock Road and another on the way into Lucan. I suppose they were showing a 'presence' after the fatal accident by the Clonsilla Inn on the previous night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

well brace your self for the xmas run up they will be in every bush from here to cork

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I live in Dublin and haven't seen one in months!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It wasn't a checkpoint but I saw a GATSO van parked on the N3 at Cabra (almost opposite MSL) last Friday. They were parked very discreetly sideways in an entrance, facing inbound traffic and whilst I was sitting there in my car (doing 3mph!) I reckon they could have caught 15 or 20 cars.
    However, as it is a single lane carriageway in an urban area I guess they were right to do it (hard as it is for me to say so!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'm in Galway city and put up quite a few miles. Havent seen a Garda checkpoint in 6 weeks

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

JohnCleary wrote:
    I'm in Galway city and put up quite a few miles. Havent seen a Garda checkpoint in 6 weeks
    I've seen one in four years on the road in Galway. And that was just for tax discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭midship

I havnt seen a check ponit in north dublin in a while, loads of speed checks tho there must be more moeny in it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

There was a guard checking tax, insurance and also unaccompanied learners in Kildare Town last Saturday. I've never seen the cops actually stopping people in the town. Usually they're out on the main road or the onramp of the M7.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

aodh_rua wrote:
    I've never seen the cops actually stopping people in the town. Usually they're out on the main road or the onramp of the M7.
    they stop people on a slip road? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

While visiting a super-intendant guarda friend of mine last week, we got on the conversation of boy-racers, checkpoints, tax, insurance etc...

He told me the chance of (well this applies to galway county anyway) getting caught in the city limits for tax/insurance is almost nil unless your in an accident, whereas the chances of getting caught out the country are much, much higher... I always thought it was the other way around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

in clonmel they were two guards on horses yesterday never seen that before!!! and also last night there was two guards walking up the quay with one big bad ass german sheppard!!! this dog was like a horse!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,397 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Robbo wrote:
    And that was just for tax discs.
    Tax disc checks are a legal cover for drink driving (and other offence) checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

what a lot of people also fail to realis is that a lot of tax/insurance checks are set up as roadblocks when the cops are on the lookout for someone.

I remember one weekend a few months ago in limerick a taxi driver complaining that he'd been through 57 checkpoints in three days, complaining about the cops victimising motorists when they should have been out looking for the drug dealers and associated scum.

didn't take it too well when I tried to explain to him that was why there were so many tax/insurance checks about.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,397 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Oh, yes, overtime budgets will have to be spent before the end of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Robbo wrote:
    I've seen one in four years on the road in Galway. And that was just for tax discs.

I've seen a few on the Tuam road before ClareGalway over the past few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Got checked by 2 plain clothes in an unmarked red focus Saturday afternoon.
    "Délit de sale gueule" (translates roughly as wrong-face-wrong-place infraction).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

They were out in Leeson St Upper and the N11 at Belfield the weekend before last. Last SUnday night they were speed checking on Wolfe Tone Quay (opp Guinness brewery). Popular spot I believe.

Advertisement