Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wenger hit with FA charge

• 08-11-2004 8:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has been charged with improper conduct for his controversial comments in the aftermath of The Gunners' defeat by Manchester United last month.

French tactician Wenger was smarting at a number of events following the 2-0 reverse at Old Trafford and made his feelings known in post-match interviews.

Wenger was particularly critical of Red Devils striker Ruud van Nistelrooy for the Dutchman's tackle on Ashley Cole.

Van Nistelrooy was later charged and banned by The FA, but the governing body have still opted to take Wenger to task for his comments.

A statement on The FA's website read: "Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has been charged with a breach of FA Rule E3 for improper conduct.

"The charge relates to his comment about Manchester United's Ruud van Nistelrooy in a post-match media interview following the Premier League match at Old Trafford on Sunday 24 October.

"He has until 18 November to respond to the charge."

The FA would appear keen to draw a line under the whole tempestuous affair, as they are taking no further action regarding the reported trouble in the tunnel after the game.

"There will be no formal disciplinary action on any other matters related to the match," the statement continued.

"However, the FA chairman Geoff Thompson has written to both clubs to request a meeting with their representatives and the Premier League to avoid any repeat of the adverse publicity that surrounded the game."

Can someone explain to me what the charge is?
    I don't rememeber him saying anything but bitching about united on cole, and bad referring?
    Can you get charged with disconduct for that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

He basically called Ruud a cheat and its common knowledge about Ruud's antic's. I don't know exactly what he said but it was along those lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

In the match of the day interview after the game he said something along the lines of all Ruud knew how to do was "cheat people that don't know him" . When questioned on this the nest day he denied calling RVN a cheat.

Source The BBC

Wenger denies 'cheat' accusation

Van Nistelrooy accepts FA charge
    Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has denied calling Manchester United striker Ruud van Nistelrooy a cheat.
    Wenger has been asked to explain comments he made about Van Nistelrooy and referee Mike Riley after his side's 2-0 loss to Manchester United.

"I don't have to deny what I did not say," said Wenger when asked about calling the United striker a cheat.

The Frenchman also claimed he had no knowledge of an alleged food fight in the Old Trafford tunnel.

He added: "I don't know about that. I haven't seen it if something was thrown."

It will be interesting to see what if anything happens , Hopfully it will dampen the bad feeling that has surrounded this fixture over the last few seasons but as its the F.A. that's investigating I would not be confdent of decisive action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

So he got charged for telling the truth?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭enda_4

Ya have to laugh at all this calling RVN a cheat al and when you think back to the Arsenal v Portsmouth game last year when Pires blantently dived to get a penalty, wenger wasn't very vocal on that one.

Happy to see him get charged, what goes around comes around ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Whether he was telling the truth or not. He was out of line calling another teams player a cheat on TV. He also said that he does it all the time, Im sure the FA dont see conduct like that as "in the spirit of the game".

He'll will probably just get fined so I doubt he cares though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

The Muppet wrote:
    It will be interesting to see what if anything happens , Hopfully it will dampen the bad feeling that has surrounded this fixture over the last few seasons but as its the F.A. that's investigating I would not be confdent of decisive action.

It's tinfoil hat time again obviously. Who the hell else is going to investigate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

It's tinfoil hat time again obviously. Who the hell else is going to investigate?

Just for a change they should let David Gill investigate. He may do a better job at finding evidence . He may even be genius enough to ask the BBC for the tape . The current lot were not so sucessfull the last time they investigated someones on the record comments to the media.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

So he got charged for telling the truth?
    :rolleyes:

I would get banned from here for saying what I think of you after that comment wouldn't I? Same goes for the Wenger situation. He should have kept his mouth shut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

What took them so long???, does anyone have the footage where Wenger said this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

enda_4 wrote:
    Ya have to laugh at all this calling RVN a cheat al and when you think back to the Arsenal v Portsmouth game last year when Pires blantently dived to get a penalty, wenger wasn't very vocal on that one.

Happy to see him get charged, what goes around comes around ;)

That means Fergie can never again say anything bad about a player or a ref ever again!
    ;)

Its funny thats its always that dive when there are dives as bad or worse everyday of the week.
    Anybody remember the city game last sunday?
    And dont even get me started on Rooney :rolleyes:

Ill be surprised if anything comes of it maybe a fine or a touchline ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Nemici

it will make absolutely no difference if he gets charged or not.

even if he gets a ten grand fine and a touchline ban etc etc, he would just pay up and the next time something he wants to comment on comes up - he will comment anyway.

the FA are a bunch of idiots.
    bringing the game into disrepute, pah.
    hiring sven is bringing the game into disrepute !!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

In fairness the charge is a joke, he just forgot to shut his gob when every manager should know that you do not or cannot say what you want, whether or not RVN cheated or not I am sure Wenger was pis*ed.
    It will not ease the tensions between the clubs

Advertisement