Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How NOT to ask questions in Programming

Options
  • 08-11-2004 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

i put this site together...took me around 4 months to get it running right, eh its used as a homepage so you dont have to use the same search engine anyway let me know what you think... www.davesworldweb.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Doesn't work properly, and has nothing to do with this forum unless you want someone to answer what the programming problem is.

Btw, just get firefox and all the search engines are built in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 ontargetrepairs

why dosent it work properly, it it has a use here or i supose your going to tell me java isnt a programing launguage ? or maybe you were hopping id say html is a programing lanuage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

well considering the fact that when i go to it it loads up but then goes to a msn search page.

hence making the convience of having google, yahoo, msn search all in one place useless.

btw it already is if a user uses firefox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

bit of advice, get rid of the clock that follows you around, noone appreciates stuff like that, its just annoying

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Redirects to msn search after a couple of seconds. Bit of a waste of four months, to be honest, but I suppose any experience is good.

• Advertisement

I dont know why your being re-directed to Msn, i think thats somthing to do with your machine?.... and as for firefox, the whole idea of changing your entire browser just dosent appeal to me..... might be for some but if you do that your leaving yourself wide open to hackers and that sort of thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭UNIFLU

msn search didnt work, have google bar in my firefox page anyways, soz.

No, it's definitely bad coding, sorry.

See the thing is with the website, is that yea can tell peoples location their I.P address, & loads of stuff....nearly everyone is using MSIE6 so i dont understand why it dosent work on some ppl's computers, anyone have any pointers ????

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

might be for some but if you do that your leaving yourself wide open to hackers and that sort of thing
    ehh sorry no, sticking with IE leaves you in that situation, changing browser avoids that carry on

• Advertisement

No, it's definitely bad coding, sorry.
    Ok, tell me how it has bad coding, dreamweaver say your wrong.... im dying to hear this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Nice design, pity about that damn stupid clock thingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

hah!!!

197 errors doesnt validate:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://homepage.eircom.net/~topicpsycology/SEARCHWEB1.html

Dreamweaver said your right! HOLY CRAP! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Yea I agree. IE is a bigger security risk then any other browser. FireFox is also gaining market share since June/July. I wouldn't touch IE with a barge pole.

Search engine is built into firefox and you can create your own search plugins using XML. I created one for boards.ie.

As for your overall post, the reason it has nothing to do with this forum is you are not asking a programming question, you are pimping your site by spamming.

I submit for example...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=198320
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=199781 (duplicate on same forum)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=199783

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Right.

When it loads up, you're being redirected to a horrible page:

http://homepage.eircom.net/~topicpsycology/SEARCHWEB1.html

The blatant stealing of code from other sites is obviously overridden by MSN search who then take control of the page, and redirect you to http://search.msn.com.

So either someone ****ed up in setting up the domain, or someone stuck their own ****e page in your site and pointed your domain at it.

The home page is a different size to all the other pages. The boxes move around when you leave/enter the homepage. Also that cute little doggie doesn't appear on the other pages.

The top nav bar links don't work in any browser. That clock is very annoying.

TBH, move to proper web hosting, work on the coding a bit more, and make the text a bit more readable, it's quite hard to read. Increase the text size by one or maybe two steps.

Half of your "useful links" aren't links at all. Why bother?

You're halfway there, but ways off a decent website, particularly when you're trying to advertise IT services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

Works fine for me.

I have to agree that the clock, while a novely for a few seconds, becomes quickly annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

1. The clock sucks and would make me close the page as soon as I see it...

2. I use slimbrowser from www.flashpeak.com, it has a built in search engine bar with 21 different search engines and from what people are saying here firefox has something similar so whats the point?

3. Simply is spelt wrong in the text stuff at the bottom.

4. Your mobile phone number is on the page - ARE YOU BONKERS?

dangerman wrote:
    hah!!!

197 errors doesnt validate:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://homepage.eircom.net/~topicpsycology/SEARCHWEB1.html

Dreamweaver said your right! HOLY CRAP! :rolleyes:

if yea have a copy of dream weaver why dont yea check for yourself... i did and as i said not a sing error!
    That website didnt stated errors with the code but it poined to typos within the code i apperantly "stole" from the 3 search engines....

You're asking people to try your site, and when they tell you it doesn't work you tell them they're wrong and dreamweaver backs you up. Hmm. You can have every one of those search engines with one right-click in Opera.
    Keep going at it, you may come up with something useful, but if you ask for feedback you should listen to what people are telling you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

if yea have a copy of dream weaver why dont yea check for yourself... i did and as i said not a sing error!
    That website didnt stated errors with the code but it poined to typos within the code i apperantly "stole" from the 3 search engines....
    Yeah, because surely the people who defined HTML couldn't possibly know better that the people behind Dreamweaver...

• Advertisement

ah i am listening, like for instance, the clock is gone, type errors corrected, cant understand how its being re-directed to msn?

Can you put up a simple Hello World page on the server and give us the address (www.davesworld.com/hello.htm) for example. That way we would check if it's something in the page or something with the server that's messed up.

yea ill do it but ill need to wait till my domain services sets it up might be 2 or 3 days ?, why is it being re-directed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

why do I have to type the search address into each one? And when I do, why does only one work? It's a nice idea for a page. Actually it's just an idea. I'll stick with Mozilla's integrated multiple-engine search.

It is what it's.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Cremo wrote:
    hence making the convience of having google, yahoo, msn search all in one place useless.

Yeah the google search in FireFox changes with a simple pop down menu to dictionary.com, yahoo, ebay, wikipedia, amazon, and at the bottom of "add engines" directs to a site with plugins for imdb, other search engines and loads of sites.

It can’t kill you to try FireFox.

I fixed the problem, eh i supose its all about preferance? who makes firefox, any spy-ware ???, whats it like for letting hackers in ? what about opera is it like that?

Man, when you rip code, you don't even look at what you're taking do you? The source is a real mess... Lots of unnecessary stuff commented out...

Listen, you want to use these services? If you dig a little deeper you'll find that a lot of them allow webmasters to link through their sites if you agree to use what they give you. What you aren't allowed to do however, is root through their source and copy what you like. Which is exactly what you've done. Go and take a look at these webmaster packages instead, they'll be a lot less upset with you that way.

I fixed the problem, eh i supose its all about preferance? who makes firefox, any spy-ware ???, whats it like for letting hackers in ? what about opera is it like that?
    Ok, you link to search engines and you can't even be bothered to use them!?

Oh, and one last thing, can this possibly be moved to the relevant forum at convenience? Thank you...

What webmaster packages?,

why do yea think i dont use the links?

and what does a kerry man sound like when say's "Man, when you rip code".. ?
    id love to know what that sounds like.....

• Advertisement

http://www.google.com/searchcode.html is the Google one, you can go find the rest yourself...

Why do I think you don't look things up? Lets review, shall we?
    who makes firefox, any spy-ware ???, whats it like for letting hackers in ? what about opera is it like that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement