Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How NOT to ask questions in Programming

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 ontargetrepairs

why would i want to use that search bar when i have perfectly working one that fits the page ???? and now your critising me for asking a question.... The webpage works perfectly... i am just looking for pointers like what people think of the clock and that sort of thing.... i dont care in the slightest if some mad webpage thinks there a few typo's that dont make any difference.... dreamweaver is an industry standard and that will do fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Spamming is when you post the same thread on different boards. Don't do it again.

Please read the charter and rules of the board, especially the part about how to ask questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Trojan was nice enough to unlock the thread. :) Some comments.

1. Firefox is a pretty famous browser, as is Opera. NEVER assume that everyone uses IE, because it is simply not true. What if you wanted a person who was blind to read your site? They don't use IE.

2. Firefox went gold today (v1.0). I tried your site with the latest version and the redirect seems to have vanished.

3. Never have your site only working with javascript. I am not sure if you have removed the annoying stuff people mentioned or it is the fact that I have annoying javascript blocked (nice feature in Firefox).

4. Likewise with adverts. I am not sure if your site has any because I have those blocked too.

5. Dreamweaver is not the industry standard. W3C is. Use the link that was posted earlier to test your work.

6. Your site looks to me like ripped code from search engine sites, and poorly ripped at that (google logo is wrong color to page). The site might be ok for you but it looks messy to the casual viewer. It also offers nothing that can't be done by bookmarks. Generally websites that only contains links away from the sites are dead sites.

7. All browsers now come with some form of search engine. IE has Yahoo/Google toolbars. Firefox has an excellent Search Engine that allows you to put your own in.

For example I made a post search for boards.ie (unzip to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins and restart firefox).

I would also recommend having a look at XUL (pronouced 'zool'). It is basically application development within a web page. So you could for example make one search window do a bot search across all engines, rather then having to type into each form.

Other then that for a complete beginner it is ok'ish.

I see, well every sujestion that was made i i took heed (spelling??) and made the changes... as well as the colour of the google search, but i have to disagree with the what you said about bookmarks.... i find it alot faster my way and i have about 100 bookmarks and they list themselves alfabetically (spelling???) so that get confusing, also the point about zool, i find i get differnt results for each websearch i do with each engine.... so i like that. there are no adds only 3 links pop-ups or anything like that.

Hobbes wrote:
    5. Dreamweaver is not the industry standard. W3C is. Use the link that was posted earlier to test your work.

I never said it was THE industry standard but I did say "It is AN idustry standard"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I never said it was THE industry standard but I did say "It is AN idustry standard"
    What's the difference?

There's only one HTML*, ergo only one standard.

*Let's not get pedantic here

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Ontarget: you'll receive a little more respect on this board if you attempt to use correct spelling and grammar in your posts. Even if it's not your first language, using paragraphs and capitals would make it easier to read. Not asking for perfection, but it won't hurt to try a little. It also demonstrates to me that you did not read the charter and rules of the board.

Do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

i have about 100 bookmarks and they list themselves alfabetically (spelling???) so that get confusing
    Firefox can give a keyword to a bookmark, so that you can choose a memorable word for each bookmark and when you type that word into the address bar, it'll take you there. It's very handy.

And it's kinda pointless having more than one standard.

trojan, Are you for real?

Dreamweaver does have a cross browser checking system if I recall though. You should use it.

Syth is correct. If you right click the bookmark properties you can add them.

Also here is a picture of the firefox search engine. I created four of the search engines myself very easily. You can also see how bad the google logo looks on the page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Never in my life have i come across a more useless website. Just checked out the source, there is a hell of alot of html code there commented out making the page load alot longer. It's not much of an issue with somebody using broadband but for a dial up user it's a bit of an annoyance. Second of all, i'm sorry but most of the code on your site was completely stolen from the other site's source code, and how you could try claim otherwise is beyond me. Don't believe me? Ok, look at this

I'm sorry but that's just one of many examples of code stealage on your website.

Someone give that man a hug..... i allready said i used code from the search engines.... :rolleyes:

If you click a link on the page (say google news) and click back button then the MSN search takes control again. I suspect MS have something to stop people stealing their code.

Not sure I would pay 250 for that page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

trojan, Are you for real?
    What with him being the forum moderator and all, I would have to say yes. Yes he is.

Here's another hint. See my signature, the bottom row of links? Read the first one, it might be of some use to us all.

Hobbes wrote:
    If you click a link on the page (say google news) and click back button then the MSN search takes control again. I suspect MS have something to stop people stealing their code.

Not sure I would pay 250 for that page.

How did you come to the conclutions that it cost 250?? or did you mean somthing else,

Ive tried all the links they work on my comp... ?i think there might be a problem with firefox and opera ????

the links work, it is when you click the back button.

It is less to do with a problem with firefox/opera and more to do with the hack job you have done on other peoples code.

I tried it in IE, it is insanely slow to load. At least FF clearly runs faster then IE.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Ive tried all the links they work on my comp... ?i think there might be a problem with firefox and opera ????

Flush the temporary internet files on your machine, you say there must be something wrong with opera or firefox, possibly but the problem is with your coding. When your starting out coding it’s generally not a good idea to blame every thing apart from you code (because it almost always our code not windows or web browsers or any other platform we are running on). My advice to you is to take onboard what the people are saying, you are far to defensive about your site which is another problem if your hoping to become a programmer or even a web designer, testers would have a field day. If a problem occur in a newbie program then they always try to defend there code and say something like it worked a minute ago.

This is a programming forum so most of us are programmers (apart from the first year college kids who can be spotted a mile away) so if a programmer gives you advice on you program then it a good idea to take it on board.

i think there might be a problem with firefox and opera ????

jessy wrote:
    you say there must be something wrong with opera or firefox, possibly but the problem is with your coding.

I think there might be a problem with fire fox and opera : as in it dosent work right with them, how did i blame opera & firefox, and your telling me its definitly a problem with my code??? like where do yea get this from ??? do yea not know how websites work or something because it could be any number of hitches..... i tested that plenty before uploading it, msn couldn touch my code while its uploaded so its a redirect outside the code or it might even be one of the administrators signing in on my webspace as me because my p/w for boards.ie is same 4 the webspace!!!!, its changed now tho think before yea type

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

administrators signing in on my webspace as me because my p/w for boards.ie is same 4 the webspace!!!!, its changed now tho think before yea type

:rolleyes: :eek:

ROFFLE :D

I think there might be a problem with fire fox and opera : as in it dosent work right with them, how did i blame opera & firefox, and your telling me its definitly a problem with my code??? like where do yea get this from ??? do yea not know how websites work or something because it could be any number of hitches..... i tested that plenty before uploading it, msn couldn touch my code while its uploaded so its a redirect outside the code or it might even be one of the administrators signing in on my webspace as me because my p/w for boards.ie is same 4 the webspace!!!!, its changed now tho think before yea type
    nghgnghgng

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

Oh man, that's just the kind of laugh you need before you go to bed.

ontarget, I don't even know where to start telling you what's wrong with every sentence in that post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

hehe, you just can't make this type of sh*t up! :)

Great Stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Hobbes - How on earth are you keeping your posts sensible when replying to this guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

Originally Posted by ontargetrepairs

I'm ****ing pissing myself laughing here.

Ontarget you are a hero. Seriously.

I think there might be a problem with fire fox and opera : as in it dosent work right with them, how did i blame opera & firefox,
    Am... Ya just did it there again mate!!!!!
    and your telling me its definitly a problem with my code??? like where do yea get this from ??? .... i tested that plenty before uploading it, msn couldn touch my code while its uploaded so its a redirect outside the code
    Yes it is a problem with your code.
    Tested it on what? IE6. you think thats good enough??
    do yea not know how websites work or something because it could be any number of hitches.
    yet your prepared to say its a probably a problem with Firefox or opera.
    and yes i do know a bit about the web. i have done lots of web sites(that work). you need to look into different browsers. IE is not the be all and end all. infact its kind of s**T.

it might even be one of the administrators signing in on my webspace as me because my p/w for boards.ie is same 4 the webspace!!!!
    You really think someone would waist there time?

well if yea consider, the page was running for about 2 months perfectly..... i post a message of this forum and loads of people reply and suddenly it starts re-directing to msn.co.uk.... so i whip down all the old code and paste up a copy from its backup save, change the P/w and refresh and it works perfect again ????????????????????????????? laught at that yea w@nker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Do you have to get so abusive when people are trying to point out the flaws that are hitting everyone bar yourself like a bus?

You are using one browser primarily, yes? We are running many. Who is more likely to find a flaw, hmm?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

well if yea consider, the page was running for about 2 months perfectly..... i post a message of this forum and loads of people reply and suddenly it starts re-directing to msn.co.uk.... so i whip down all the old code and paste up a copy from its backup save, change the P/w and refresh and it works perfect again ????????????????????????????? laught at that yea w@nker
    Well of course that happened, when you change your password on the internet it flushes all of your cookies therefore your code would be damaged.

This could be a problem with the boards.ie source code I find that it causes my computer to crash alot. Maybe you should not post on boards and that will solve everything for your computer.

ontarget, how much can I buy your homepage off you for, I might want to sell it to a rich friend of mine. Someone mentioned 300? Is that right?

You’re far too defensive and for this reason you would make a horrible programmer. Could you imagine the poor tester that would have to show this guy an error report, poor tester would be lucky to walk away with is life.

Nope, still redirecting for me.

OK, in the interests of being a nice guy;

You see this bit of Javascript? Copied from your source code. I will wager €10
    <SCRIPT>var hl="search.msn.co.uk/",ht='http://',d=document,g="g.msn.co.uk/0SEENGB/",al=new Array("Web","search.msn.co.uk/results.aspx?FORM=SMCRT&q=","News","search.msn.co.uk/results.aspx?FORM=SRCHNS&ds=en-gb-p13ni&q=","Shopping",g+"21?!","Encarta",g+"22?!","Groups",g+"23?!","Advanced Search","/0SEENGB/44","My Preferences","/0SEENGB/45","MSN Home","/0SEENGB/1","Hotmail","/0SEENGB/2","MSN Messenger","/0SEENGB/3","My MSN","/0SEENGB/4","News","/0SEENGB/5","Shopping","/0SEENGB/6","Encarta","/0SEENGB/7","Money","/0SEENGB/8","Download Free MSN Toolbar","/0SEENGB/43","&#169;2004 Microsoft Corporation","/0TO_/en-gb??PI=40439&DI=174","Privacy statement","/0PR_/en-gb??PI=40439&DI=174","MSN Search Worldwide sites","/0SEENGB/36","Feedback","/0SEENGB/42");function lb(){qf.q.focus();if(hp.isHomePage(ht+hl)) mhs.removeNode(1);}function sh(){hp.setHomePage(ht+hl);if(hp.isHomePage(ht+hl)) hp.style.background='url(http://'+g+'37)';}function sf(){location.href=ht+qf.f.value+encodeURIComponent(qf.q.value);return false;}function rf(){for(var i=0;i<10;i+=2)d.write("<option value=\""+al[i+1]+"\">"+al[i]+"</option>");}function r(s,e,c){for(var i=s;i<e;i+=2){if(i>s) d.write(" &#183; ");d.write("<a class="+c+" href=\"http://g.msn.co.uk"+al[i+1]+"\">"+al[i]+"</a>");}}</SCRIPT>

This is what's causing the problem. This code automatically tests to see if it's been stolen and redirects the page to search.msn.co.uk. Yes it can do that, seeing as you're the whiz, you should know this. In fact, I don't even know where in the code it does this. I saw this piece of code, alarm bells rang, so I copied your page, commented out this Javascript, and hey presto! problem solved. And yes, I did check that the file saved on my machine was also redirecting to msn, and it was.

OK, back to your original post.
    I think there might be a problem with fire fox and opera : as in it dosent work right with them, how did i blame opera & firefox, and your telling me its definitly a problem with my code??? like where do yea get this from ??? do yea not know how websites work or something because it could be any number of hitches.....
    It could be any number of hitches. But considering that browsers are written by hundreds of people, tested by hundreds more, and then tested again by millions of users on the internet, you can be 99.999999999999999999% sure that any problems experienced on one website are down to a badly coded website.
    The W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) defines what is proper HTML. Their validator lists 152 Errors in your code. Ergo, the problem is with your page, and not the browsers.
    i tested that plenty before uploading it, msn couldn touch my code while its uploaded so its a redirect outside the code or it might even be one of the administrators signing in on my webspace as me because my p/w for boards.ie is same 4 the webspace!!!!, its changed now tho think before yea type
    OK, I dealt with the fact that it is a redirect in the code above, but FYI, the administrators on boards.ie cannot see your password. Your password is stored in a hashed value in the boards.ie database which cannot be decrypted (unless you use a password like "me" or "password"). They have better things to be doing than hacking single-page websites to add a surruptitious redirect.

Listen and learn. Why did you even ask for opinions if you don't want to listen?

Is that you bubbles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

This thread is very interesting.
    Why does this exist also:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=199783
    ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement