Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

graffiti

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

Hey, you should check out the old baths in blackrock! Some of the graffiti is pretty good but the location is very cool with the sea beside it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 KOSS [TGK]

"GRIFT" "DROP" "SHOT" all the same person, in a crew called ICN, however ICN are only new, and have a link with RCS (The radicals).
    UEK, is a demolition crew, wich basicly means, all they do is spraypaint every where and anywhere. Infact i caught a "UEK Crew Member" doing his infamous "FOES" tag on my area (Landsdowne/Ringsend) at the dart station, thats TGK Turf, all ringsend is basicly coverd in TGK, and are rivelling with another crew known as ESC, with "HASK" and "FLASH" smashing up their tags anywhere they can, quit annoying actualy. Ever see the tag "PNS"? Yes, that stands for "penis" basicly its a load of crap.

UEK is probly the most powerful krew in this city.
    ICN would have very artistic members!
    RCS is a demolition crew but do have nice burners around the place!
    TGK are a gang crew, planning to do as UEK did. cover the city, look out for TGK Tags around the city centre. KOSS, ION, RAGER, FRENCHY, WING... are just some members of that crew.

Any one have any info on other crews? Even UEK, or any others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

KOSS [TGK] wrote:
    "GRIFT" "DROP" "SHOT" all the same person, in a crew called ICN, however ICN are only new, and have a link with RCS (The radicals).
    UEK, is a demolition crew, wich basicly means, all they do is spraypaint every where and anywhere. Infact i caught a "UEK Crew Member" doing his infamous "FOES" tag on my area (Landsdowne/Ringsend) at the dart station, thats TGK Turf, all ringsend is basicly coverd in TGK, and are rivelling with another crew known as ESC, with "HASK" and "FLASH" smashing up their tags anywhere they can, quit annoying actualy. Ever see the tag "PNS"? Yes, that stands for "penis" basicly its a load of crap.

UEK is probly the most powerful krew in this city.
    ICN would have very artistic members!
    RCS is a demolition crew but do have nice burners around the place!
    TGK are a gang crew, planning to do as UEK did. cover the city, look out for TGK Tags around the city centre. KOSS, ION, RAGER, FRENCHY, WING... are just some members of that crew.

Any one have any info on other crews? Even UEK, or any others?
    Tags are crud man. Theres no artistic value in tags. Tagging is more along the lines of vandalism. A proper piece on the other hand is art IMHO.

Down with taggers... You suck :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

What the hell is a demolition crew? As for Grift, Drop and Shot being all the same person, take a closer look at a Grift and a Drop piece and you can clearly see they are not the same person, that and the fact I know they are two different dudes. And as for TGK turf, why bring that kind of fag bs into graf? You're not in L.A. my friend.

Im not in L.A men... ofcaorse i know where i am. tagging is a work of art in itself, getting respect in one step to becomming a good artist. Bombing is probly the best form of graffti i do it myself ofcorse, i worked with a few mates around town a few years ago. UEK are a graffiri tag crew, but they also do bombings as you know, probly have the most famous bombing in Dublin. There realy is two kinds of tagging, 1: going around putting your name/nickname on everything, or there is going around putting your name/nickname on everything with a style.

i know where your comming from though, but i have worked on tags and bombings for a long time now, Grift and Drop are the same person my friend. trust me. But i do TGK tags around certain areas of the city, and iv done quite a few Burners in terinure, tagging is a way to get your name knowen to the city, like Grift, he has his name knowen.

Also, i would NEVER vandilise some one's property, where i do my tags is on obvious places that people can see, and dont care whats on it, because it looks bland without something on it :p

• Advertisement

Yeah, like I'd trust you, you're full of crap jim. I doubt your pieces are burners either.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭CaptSolo

Gobby, could you mail those photos to captsolo(at)gmail(dot)com?

Eiresol is a nice site. Nice graffiti photos.
    But how come that the site does not allow to press any of the buttons except 'Enter'? "Previous Updates", "Contact Us" - none of these links seem to work for me. Tried both Mozilla and Explorer.

Who is jim? And i dont think this is "el Grifto" on this page lol, that would be absolutly stupid of him to post here. And since i cannot answer the question for Chrome, yes the stealth bombers crew are still quite active, but not around the centre, mostly apperating around bray etc. And TDA is gone, cablamo, ove actualy seen there last burner, its nice and says R.I.P beside it?

RCS, UEK, ICN, all the same crew sadly, that means no other crew is as big here.
    I noticed while in Cork and drogheda that they have nice graffiti there, check out that! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

ah sweet sweet graffiti!

CaptSolo wrote:
    Gobby, could you mail those photos to captsolo(at)gmail(dot)com?

Eiresol is a nice site. Nice graffiti photos.
    But how come that the site does not allow to press any of the buttons except 'Enter'? "Previous Updates", "Contact Us" - none of these links seem to work for me. Tried both Mozilla and Explorer.
    Sure thing. Have to wait untill tomorrow though...

• Advertisement

Actually, those pics were still in my sent folder so I was able to forward them to ya. :)

KOSS [TGK] wrote:
    Who is jim? And i dont think this is "el Grifto" on this page lol, that would be absolutly stupid of him to post here. And since i cannot answer the question for Chrome, yes the stealth bombers crew are still quite active, but not around the centre, mostly apperating around bray etc. And TDA is gone, cablamo, ove actualy seen there last burner, its nice and says R.I.P beside it?

RCS, UEK, ICN, all the same crew sadly, that means no other crew is as big here.
    I noticed while in Cork and drogheda that they have nice graffiti there, check out that! :-)
    You're a fool mate. SBC are not active any more, one member still paints with regularity but doesn't put up SBC anymore anyway. RCS, UEK and ICN are not all the same crew. RCS are a mainly U.K. crew with some members here, a couple of which are part of ICN. TDA are still active, they don't paint much but they still run the annual bridge of peace event in Drogheda, one of Irelands larger graff events. Try to have some idea of what you're talking about when you come on here and spout crap you think you know but obviously don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 revolvingteeth

I am but a mere punter, a person that enjoys good graf work in an appropriate place. Was in Barcelona last summer and a lot of the work there blew me away - came back with so many photos of great stuff ranging from the purely decorative to the purely political. Not so much straight "tagging", or the old skool NYC hip-hop lettering type stuff. A lot of original style, original ideas, and original charachters. I was kind of disappointed with the local stuff in Dublin. Where's the good stuff?

ICN, depite how visible they are in Dublin at the moment, have done nothing but put ugly futile tags everywhere. e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e! Even on buildings that are most likely listed (that "KIOSK" on Leeson St. being one noteworthy place.) I wish they'd put as much time and effort into their grafs as they do travelling all over dublin. Someone on this forum has suggested that they're the most artistically telented of the crews around dublin so where can I see evidence of this? :confused: Please prove me wrong if you've got the goods! :confused:

Far more interesting recently has been some of the stencils and stickers i've seen.

Has anyone seen the "Must not sleep. Must warn others" stencil, or the stickers of small robot-figures standing on pipes, or the sticker with the stock image of a dolls face with a black rectangle covering it's eyes? Some of these have been wallpaper on my mobile for a loooonnnnng time. these are the folks I'd like to know more about. Great stuff.

FX Meister wrote:
    ... TDA are still active, they don't paint much but they still run the annual bridge of peace event in Drogheda, one of Irelands larger graff events.
    Interesting to get to know more about this event.
    When does is take place?

gobby wrote:
    Actually, those pics were still in my sent folder so I was able to forward them to ya. :)
    Thanks, Gobby! Gots the pics. :)

CaptSolo wrote:
    Thanks, Gobby! Gots the pics. :)
    No worries :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Take a trip on a train. Most of the trains heading out west (blanchardstown etc), all the routes are covered in graffitti. You can find some decent spots and drive to them to shoot?

CaptSolo wrote:
    Interesting to get to know more about this event.
    When does is take place?
    It's on the bank holiday weekend in August, there's always DJ's and stuff playing in the park at the bridge.

I am but a mere punter, a person that enjoys good graf work in an appropriate place. Was in Barcelona last summer and a lot of the work there blew me away - came back with so many photos of great stuff ranging from the purely decorative to the purely political. Not so much straight "tagging", or the old skool NYC hip-hop lettering type stuff. A lot of original style, original ideas, and original charachters. I was kind of disappointed with the local stuff in Dublin. Where's the good stuff?

ICN, depite how visible they are in Dublin at the moment, have done nothing but put ugly futile tags everywhere. e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e! Even on buildings that are most likely listed (that "KIOSK" on Leeson St. being one noteworthy place.) I wish they'd put as much time and effort into their grafs as they do travelling all over dublin. Someone on this forum has suggested that they're the most artistically telented of the crews around dublin so where can I see evidence of this? :confused: Please prove me wrong if you've got the goods! :confused:

Far more interesting recently has been some of the stencils and stickers i've seen.

Has anyone seen the "Must not sleep. Must warn others" stencil, or the stickers of small robot-figures standing on pipes, or the sticker with the stock image of a dolls face with a black rectangle covering it's eyes? Some of these have been wallpaper on my mobile for a loooonnnnng time. these are the folks I'd like to know more about. Great stuff.
    Maybe part of the meaning in their work is that it is all over the city, it's hard to go somewhere and not see it. Grift's style is a pure bombing style, simple letters. But his stuff is very well painted from a technical point and is always clean and crisp. As for artistic elements in their graff, I'd rather see something crisp and original like the bat grift piece he did rather than any contrived New York style pieces as I've shown below. It's harder to make simple, curved letters actually look good but Grift pulls it off. As for the Rask piece here, he justs throughs shapes in to try and make it look complicated. To find the artistic types of graffiti you prefer you would need to go out of your way to find a legal wall, places where writers can paint without time constraints or worry about being caught. You say you like the stencils and stickers but surely a lot of that is down to where it is placed, if you saw it on a wall inside a coffee shop it wouldn't have the same impact on you as it's not outside, on a wall in the city where it shoulf lawfully be.

Grift
    briftbatman5ex.jpg

Grift
    griftmarion6wl.jpg

Rask
    picture609tl.jpg

Kube
    kube5dy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭smois

nice pics what website u get them from.. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

look righthand bottom corner on the pics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭smois

in that case ive seen them all before.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 RawK

gobby could i also get some pics e-mail them to johnzer2 (at) hotmail (dot) com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

I remmember in France the graffiti was absolutely excellent! The problem was the suburbs were covered in it. Does it take long to become an expert at it coz i imagine it does take a lot of skill!

RawK wrote:
    gobby could i also get some pics e-mail them to johnzer2 (at) hotmail (dot) com
    Your email account is full. I'll send a gmail invite...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

despite graffitti appearing around a large part of dublin, particularly the south side, there appears no be little or nothing on the N3 from the centre of town out towards blanchardstown/meath. Ive seen some great examples of graffitti in Spain, theres a train that runs from Marbella into Malaga that has some fantastic artwork which goes on for about 10km near the towerblocks on the western side, great stuff if anyone is heading out in that direction soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Klimseven

ICN, depite how visible they are in Dublin at the moment, have done nothing but put ugly futile tags everywhere. e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e
    Graffiti is about getting your name up as much as possible, period. It's not art, it's graffiti, closer to craft. The art in it is the art of knowing the city and knowing how to making your name famous without getting caught.

Klimseven wrote:
    Graffiti is about getting your name up as much as possible, period. It's not art, it's graffiti, closer to craft. The art in it is the art of knowing the city and knowing how to making your name famous without getting caught.
    Doesn't have to be like that though.

People in Germany go to a lot of effort to do amazing pieces on trains. If they get caught the fine is MASSIVE. A rediculous amount of money. If you get caught spraying on a building you have to pay for the whole thing to be completly repainted (professionally).

So lets review, in Germany if you get caught you are going to have to pay a LOT of money. In liew of this, do they run in and out as fast as they can and only spray some ****ty little tag? No, they plan their piece properly and do some amazing work!

You strike me as being very narrow minded. Go travel and get cultured...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

if anyone wants to do a "crapfork" piece i have 20 quid towards commission. It would be nice to see "crapfork" written somewhere... [im not condoning illegal graffiti of course :P]
    If any decent graffer is interested in making some quids as part of an independant non-profit publicity stunt, you may find more support here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=244980&page=3
    If anyone has a wall to donate, that would be nice too..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Klimseven

Please, I know a lot more about graffiti than you. I ought to. I'm telling you, graffiti is about getting your name up...internationally it's the same. And by the way, you can get 4 years in prison for painting trains in Europe, never mind fines. The same people you say paint these 'amazing pieces' on trains, also do (what you consider) '****ty tags', because they're graffiti writers...they do it all (tags, throwups, pieces) to get their names up. It's the same people who do the pieces on trains that do the tags around the city, fact. Whatever you've been led to believe, their are not two different types of illegal writers, artists and taggers...that's not how it works, graffiti writers practice all of the above.

And please don't patronise me, I've travelled plenty and know graffiti writers from countries all over Europe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement