Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Moment.......

Options
  • 17-10-2000 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭

Heres a short little piece I wrote.
    I think a few people might actually be able to relate to this:
    One Moment

Outside, the rain tumbles in torrents, as the trees bow their heads to the screaming wind. Dark clouds, ominously haunt the skies, blanketing the world with their shadow. Before me sits a book from my childhood, and I smile at the memory. The story I forget, but the images that formed in my mind while reading it, are as vivid as ever. I recall how it was when I first read this precious souvenir of my childhood.

My back against the radiator, wrapped snugly in my duvet.
    The awesome sound of natures anger, heightening every dark image of the story that formed in my mind - troops of goblins in a haunted and magical forest, strange creatures trespassing in the hallowed silence of the night. I remember how I felt. Awe, of my first experience in a magnificent world of fantasy and legend - swept away by battles against dark forces, embarking on quests fraught with danger and excitement, gripped by fear when all seemed lost.

Outside the tempest continues, more furiously than before, as my spirits lift. A shiver of excitement runs down my spine, and I smile nostalgically, as I pick up the book, to once again traverse a kingdom that can never end. So I sit against the radiator and engulf myself in the warmth of my duvet, and imagination.

Any idea what Im talking about? smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Paladin (edited 17-10-2000).]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

ummm, Lord Of The Rings. I say that because thats what conjures in my mind.

Im going to the bear fights tomorrow, want to come with ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭DaBounca

postman pat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

ha. ha.

Twas of course lotr, but what i meant is if anyone could actually relate, rather than who knew what book it was smile.gif

Ta btw kharn. Perhaps someday in the future, ill embark upon my own voyage, as it were smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Yeah, Pal. I agree with Kharn. Write in a bigger font, it'd be easier for me to read cool.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

I've decided i could never write a book. Screenplays, scripts, yes, no problem, done that already. But a book, prose, short stories... very hard thing to do. I know because my brother, who i consider a genius (and my version of Yoda), has been writing for a very long time, and only now is getting around to writing a book. If you have the gift, use it. Write something bigger next time Pal, give us something big to read...

Im going to the bear fights tomorrow, want to come with ??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'd guess The Hobbit rather than Lord of the Rings - definitely our boy JRR smile.gif

Pal - you should definitely consider writing something bigger - you've got the knack!

All the best,
    kharn_sig.gif

Advertisement