Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone own a hip flask?

• 08-11-2004 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

So there I was yesterday evening with nothing better to do than browse through the Kleeneze catalogue which plonked through the door earlier in the day. Ah, says I, what sh1te have they in their Christmas catalogue. Flicked to the "gifts for him" to see if there's any inspiration for my brothers for Christmas. SUffice to say there was a whole pile of nothing but what is it with the Hip flask? Does anyone actually own one or has anyone ever bought one? I have an image of a hip flask owner being a lord Henry Mountcharles type or a Ryan Turbridy type - i.e. neither living in the real world.

Perhaps it is I who am not in the real world but I vote for the hip flask as being the most useless suggestion for a Christmas present for a male relative.

That is all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

alleepally wrote:
    Perhaps it is I who am not in the real world but I vote for the hip flask as being the most useless suggestion for a Christmas present for a male relative.

That is all.

I've inherited a hip flask from my maternal grandfather. It is a thing of great beauty. It is occasionally used for going to football or rugby matches. It's prettier than swigging straight from the bottle.

hc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I've got one myself, but I don't use it that often anymore. Hmm, maybe it's time to start drinking whiskey again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

i think a hip flask would be a pretty cool xmas present as long as its full of whiskey :D

(although i would also think a mcdonalds paper cup was a pretty cool xmas present if it was full of whiskey)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

I would consider a hip flask a great present

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

We bought our friend one, but then he's a raving alcoholic...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Have one myself. it lives in my golf bag for those hamlet moments!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I'm getting one before skiing starts this year. Handy to have in case I get stuck under an avalanche and need to stay warm ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

they seem pretty stylish really... a few of us are pooling to buy our friend one for his birthday this year. sure we may be sending him in a slipperly slope, but he'll look good while he slides

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I remember asking for one as a present before, but didn't get it :(

I could have been knacker drinking in style.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I've got two. One was a present and it's pretty much your bog-standard, utilitarian hip flask. Only ever used it once. The other was a golf prize and it's actually a beautiful piece of work. It seems a shame to put booze in it, although I do have a couple of bottles of extremely good bourbon lying around, so maybe one of them would be fitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

they always seemed so small to me though, 100 mils at most, not even a buzz if you downed the lot in one, need chunkier flasks !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I like them. Don't own one but prob will some day. As already mentioned, looks better than drink from a bottle at a match or some where like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭otron

I bought one just last week, intended for those big nights out. Good for party usage as well as saving money in the pub if your so inclined. €2.50+ for a coke mixer is plenty of revenue for the bar to get if you ask me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

I have one..haven't used it much except when fishing during the winter..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭bugler

I have an engraved hip flask I was given by two friends. I'm delighted with it. It's an attractive thing, and it has served me well in nite clubs. 2 fl oz = some 6 shots of whiskey I believe. So all I'd buy was the coke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

alleepally wrote:

Best thing ever for when you're standing on a cold terrace watching a match. Instant warmth :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

need chunkier flasks !
    So, a bottle then? :D

I have a hip flask too, it's got strawberry shnapps in it right now. I got it as a present (minus the shnapps) but did come with a bottle of Jack, which has now sadly departed this world :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

I have one (had two lost the other) its the kind they gave to Hungarian soliders the day they retired (during soviet times) has a Russian star on the side and Lenin on the cap and came to me filled with polish vodka.

They're nice they have a wow factor I was at some illegal outdoor party a few years back and produced it to acclaim. It's one of my prized possesions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I have one that I got as a 21st present from an ex. I haven't ever really used it that much but I cherish it nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Yeah I've got one. Very handy for the early morning eye opener.
    It's got those handy 4 little cups on the lid as well. Very useful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

My husband bought them for his best man and groomsmen as thank yous for helping out with the wedding. He put their favourite tipple in each of them and they were swigging all morning.
    We've got some great pictures of them all dressed up drinking from hipflasks in our album!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

When you pour tea out of a flask it always has a greasy film on the surface which is a bit disturbing.

Gift catalogues are pretty useless in general - I saw one mens' one recently where one of the suggested presents was shower gel and shampoo - not fancy ones in famcy packaging, just the everyday kind. I shudder to think who has family members/friends who have to be introduced to the art of washing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Handy for those cold winter terraces. Had mine full of warming Hennesey last Friday night. Or you could just bring an Evian bottle filled with Jameson, like my friend did - more volume and quite a bit cheaper :)

Anyone know hwere I can get my hands on one in Galway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I've had one for years, never bring it out. It's full of ancient vodka!

Might but some Stroh 80 in it and use it to fuel bonfires, after I have a drink first of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I have 2, I dont really use them very often though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

I was just saying the other day how I wished I had a hip flask.
    I was at a club where the drink prices were outrageous!
    see I could keep a bottle in my car and fill it up when I liked go back in and add it to me juice ;)

Yes, hip flask...I must ask Santa :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

BEAT wrote:
    I was at a club where the drink prices were outrageous!
    see I could keep a bottle in my car and fill it up when I liked go back in and add it to me juice ;)

Good plan, except most clubs charge outrageous prices for juice these days as well :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

fragile wrote:
    Good plan, except most clubs charge outrageous prices for juice these days as well :(

I think 2 flasks are calles for then, one for the spirit and one for the mixer :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I had one for fishing but I sat on it and broke it.
    I'm now on the waiting list for a hip flask replacement.
    Will the VHI cover it? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I got one for my birthday last year, haven't used it in awhile after a pretty horrible night with it. I plan to start using it again soon, money saver more than anything.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I had one, then lost it.... very depressing.....

it's on my "to buy" list. I can be a cheep skate at the next boards beers in style

(opposed to turning up with a bottle of gin and drinking it straight... ala the mini beers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

alleepally wrote:
    So there I was yesterday evening with nothing better to do than browse through the Kleeneze catalogue which plonked through the door earlier in the day. Ah, says I, what sh1te have they in their Christmas catalogue. Flicked to the "gifts for him" to see if there's any inspiration for my brothers for Christmas. SUffice to say there was a whole pile of nothing but what is it with the Hip flask? Does anyone actually own one or has anyone ever bought one? I have an image of a hip flask owner being a lord Henry Mountcharles type or a Ryan Turbridy type - i.e. neither living in the real world.

That is all.

I have one but it's from my days when I was practically on a permanent bender....... I haven't used one in over 2 years now at this rate.... was a nice one too!!!

::: ven0mous :::

Advertisement