Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone ever gotta banned for downloading too much?

• 08-11-2004 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what the situation is with that. It was never specified how much you can download but some people say there is.
    Anybody constantly downloading huge amounts of data? (Not talking about linux iso's or anything like that), over 2 gigs per day?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

I haven't seen any restrictions.
    you say not talking about linux iso's or anything like that?
    anything like that meaning legit software ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I don't know of any one getting banned, but i do remember a few people getting warned. I would think that it does happen though, if the material you're downloading isn't in any way relevant to the course work or studies in some way. Also i'd say that the bannings only happen when the desire for computers is high(end of the year) or in extreme cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Me and a friend were downloadin from the wireless and a techy came out and switched off the transmitter. thats my only experience with them, though me mate was downloadin SOF2 from Kazaa so that might have something to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I got a warning back in second year, but nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

I always download legit software.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

lol. i like your morals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

elvis2002 wrote:
    well if i was downloading legit software i wouldnt be worried...

Anyways, downoaded The Grudge today along with some Ghost in a Shell rips, Totalling about 4 gigs. No emails yet but fcuk them if they send me one. Im using my own laptop and not playin flash snooker on a library pc like most.
    I can only give you enough rope to hang yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Cuchulain

The_B_Man wrote:
    though me mate was downloadin SOF2 from Kazaa so that might have something to do with it.

Kazaa works thru the wireless, COOL :)
    You may tell me how to do this.

I find this funny, you people do realise the admin's are aware of boards existence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

yes, i remember you and the whole compsoc/ass-raping fiasco last year :)

• Advertisement

You can get Kazaa working from any computer in the college! But its extremely slow. Under 5KB a sec. Kazaa is ****e though now, too many fake files flooding it, Limewire is the way to go. God I wish I was in maynooth or trinity where they dont ban anything....... imagine the damage if bittorrent ports opened in college.

Like you mentioned earlier, the lrc is full of people playing flash games and stuff, if they didn't have the file sharing programs blocked it would be even harder to find a computer if you wanted to get some work done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Kain

Your better off tring to find a computer on the top floor of the LRC, i've seen less people messing around with games on that floor. Thats probably cause they have the c++ and AutoCAD programs on the top floor only. In fact your probably better off tring to find a computer in a lab.

pity they dont uninstall flash from the image, I find lads playin those flash games like pool intolerable.

Also annoying is people looking at launch.com for hours on end, lads listening to the thum,thum,thum music loud as possible, java not being installed on any machines except some labs.... what the fcuk is that about? People on the first floor studying in groups when it says all around the fecking area, no talking or studing in groups, the loudness of the lrc in general but the worst is Windows XP. Why why why why?..

Well thats my whining done so dont get on my case seanos

Advertisement