Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun cabinet, where?

Options
  • 09-11-2004 2:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Can anyone suggest a place to get a reasonably priced gun cabinet. Not lookin for anything fancy, but equally, am on a bit of a budget. Saw a few posts here with people suggesting prices of around ~€100, but the two places (in Dublin) that I rang today were quoting around the ~€300 mark!

Suggestions closer to Dublin would be best (as Im guessing shipping would be a tad expensive!!)

Thanks,
    Jab

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Most hardware shops have them now, if not in stock they are easily ordered in, Warmflow is the brand stocked generally.

Incidentally, I was looking at some of the more recent versions of Warmflow's stuff last week, and it has improved an awful lot in the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

not sure of current prices, but places to try.
    Gunmac (near ashbourne) - good selection of Brattonsound cabinets when I got mine a few years back.

Outdoor Hobby (Leixlip)

Griffin Hawe (Athy) - i know it's not in Dublin, but last time I was there they had a large selection of cabinets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

Try your local Co OP store.They do the warmflow range as well and are steadily reducing the price on them,as they dont seem to shift very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Duffy's Galway is where i bought my 3 gun safe for €130

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

Thanks all, will let you know how I get on
    Jab

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Gun Shy

Check out the brattonsound range here

http://www.safety-works.co.uk/shotgun_safes/table_BS.htm

Depending on what you are looking for they are between 50 and 100 euro dearer than the english prices over here. Note the uk prices include delivery so the real difference is prob more.

Best price i got was Tannyokguns Newry almost the same as uk prices.

Planning on heading up to get one on my next shopping trip so PM me if u want one picked up and the timeframe suits you I'm in the Dublin Kildare area.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

Hi GunShy,

Thanks for the offer, PM sent with more details.

THanks,
    Jab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Is it just me ...?

Or.. dosen't the depth of most gun cabinets seem a bit too small.
    By the time you have a couple of guns in there with scopes , it's a pretty tight fit.

I have a "Warmflow" I think it's supposed to be a 4 gun case ..dunno how you'd get 4 in there.. I mean c'mon guys .. Steel isn't that expensive .

JayCee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

When they say "gun", they normally mean shotgun. Most manufacturers also have "rifle" safes which are deeper to allow for scopes.

For many customers, one of the most important considerations is that the cabinet should be as small as possible to make it easier to fit somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I got a 12 gun Homak safe a few years ago.
    A local hardware shop got in a load of safes at the time of 'The Great Gun Security Scare' back sometime in the '90s(?), when everyone was going to have to get a safe or have their licence applications refused. Of course, the scare passed and no-one got sent to jail for not having a safe, so they were left with many of these safes, including this BIG 12 gunner :)
    Time passed, and they shifted all the smaller ones, but the 12 gun remained.
    It stood forlornly in the corner, buried under ‘stuff’, gathering dust and with its £300 (and change) label curling up and fading.

I was chatting with the manager one day, and I asked what he wanted for me to shift that old safe for him. He checked his records, cursed a bit when he saw how long the thing had been in stock and how much it had cost them, and asked if it was worth £150 to me.
    I said it wasn’t, but I’d give him £100 for it.

They delivered it to my house for the £100 :D

Anyhoo…………….
    As jaysee says above, manufacturer’s specification appears to be a ‘best case scenario’. I don’t doubt that I could get 12 long guns into this cabinet (I wish!), but they’d be tightly packed and would need to be very carefully handled putting them in and getting them out to avoid damaging wood and metal finishes. Scopes would make it even more problematical.
    I currently have 4 long guns in it, and I’d be happy enough to put in another 2, but things would get complicated after that.

Homak are gone, but the ‘World Famous Kennedy Manufacturing Company’ make this-
    http://www.milcompass.com/gunsafe_10.htm
    which is very similar.
    Note how close the bangsticks are to each other, and the absence of scopes.
    And that .50 calibre Barrett we all secretly hanker for wouldn’t fit, either :)

I’m thinking of getting a 1/2/4 gun cabinet for installation somewhere convenient to the back door, so that the current favourite ‘walking around the farm’ gun is handy when it’s wanted, thus avoiding traipsing through the house (complete with muddy boots/clothes) to get to the big cabinet where everything is currently stored.
    This would lead to an improvement in Domestic Harmony, as the ‘Powers That Be’ don’t appreciate a mucky trail leading from the back door up through the house to the gun safe :)

And I suppose I should be considering separate ammo storage too :rolleyes:

If anyone comes across a good deal on a small gun safe and/or ammo safe, I like to hear about it too, please.

• Advertisement

It might be a smarter and safer move ,if you have more than six guns to possibly buy two or more depending on amount you have,gun cabinets,and put them in different locations in the house.If they do manage to carry off or open the big 12 they get the lot.However trying to rip out two or three cabinets in different areas might be more difficult and save some of your guns.Tactial dispersal.

It might be a smarter and safer move ,if you have more than six guns to possibly buy two or more depending on amount you have,gun cabinets,and put them in different locations in the house.If they do manage to carry off or open the big 12 they get the lot.However trying to rip out two or three cabinets in different areas might be more difficult and save some of your guns.Tactial dispersal.
    I've ONLY(!) got 4 at the moment, but yeah, that's another good reason for having multiple safes.
    I'd like to keep ammo and bolts seperate anyhow, so I kinda need a seperate safe for them somewhere, and another gun safe in the 'working' end of the house would be very convenient.

<talking to myself>
    Rovi wrote:
    And that .50 calibre Barrett we all secretly hanker for wouldn’t fit, either :)
    Actually, haven taken a look here-
    http://www.barrettrifles.com/rifles.htm,
    the LONGEST of them is 57 inches!!!

Hmmmmmmmmm..............................

If I throw everything else out, and wedge it in JUST right..............................

<sigh>
    It'll never happen in this country :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Rovi wrote:
    Hmmmmmmmmm..............................
    If I throw everything else out, and wedge it in JUST right..............................
    You just want to be able to put a single round down the range at a .22 target and then tell everyone you had an excellent group of twenty shots :D

Never say never Rovi.
    If we play this right we could have the 50 cal here no problem.Just need a safe place to shoot them.

Sparks wrote:
    You just want to be able to put a single round down the range at a .22 target and then tell everyone you had an excellent group of twenty shots :D
    You've twigged my cunning plan! :D

How far downrange would I need to put the target so as not to leave powder burns on it???

Never say never Rovi.
    If we play this right we could have the 50 cal here no problem.Just need a safe place to shoot them.
    Well, the lads at the Midland Rifle Club are planning to take their big range out to 1000 yards as soon as possible, so there's a possiblilty right there!
    There's someone pulling the trigger on a .338 Lapua on the 600 yard range these days, so the 'maximum .270 caliber' that's been the de-facto cut off point for years appears to have been breached.
    It's 'interesting' to be on the 50 yard range while the big Lapua is being fired on the bigbore range next door :)
    BIG boom, mixed with the sonic boom of the projectile going into the distance!
    According to 'the man who knows', €5 per shot!!! :eek:

Mil surplus .50 BMG SHOULD be cheaper than that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

Anyone have any ideas on how I would store a solitary ISSF Pellet Pistol?

Thanks

Ewan

A straightforward safe should be sufficent RA. I've been looking at these since I saw one in Woodies for seventy euro, though I was planning on using it for ammo. For an air pistol, it seems about right, though it might be handy to get it bolted to the floor inside a wardrobe or whereever, because they're light enough that you could pick one up and walk off with it (albiet rather slowly!).

853111_1823_12249062

Sparks wrote:
    A straightforward safe should be sufficent RA. I've been looking at these since I saw one in Woodies for seventy euro, though I was planning on using it for ammo.
    <snip>
    853111_1823_12249062
    Hey, I was just looking at safes almost exactly like that in a local shop (Telfords in Portlaoise, if anyone's interested) yesterday.
    They're cream coloured, and a different brand name, but they look EXACTLY the same otherwise.
    A bit of change out of €70.

Looks pretty good as an ammo/bolts safe.

Yeah, the one I saw in Woodies was that, but without the backlit keypad and painted cream. But the one in woodies (which sold for 70 euro as well), wasn't the largest model so I wanted the next one up (ten thousand rounds of ammo is the capacity I was looking for). However, the model in Woodies would have twice the room that RA would need for an air pistol, and even the smaller ones on display would have suited if he just wants a pistol and a few tins of pellets in the safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭oldzed

fyi saw the same type of safe in Atlantic in mullingar at the weekend at a sale price of 40€ down from 70€, they are ok I have 2, well one and a bit , a handy hint is put the spare key someplace safe as when the batteries run out you are in for an entertaining afternoon with an anglegrinder to open one without the key , :) been there wrecked the safe , I think they are fine and its a pity they dont come in bigger sizes, my next project is a gunroom , anyone built one and have any advice on vault doors etc ??
    cheers
    zed

an entertaining afternoon with an anglegrinder to open one without the key
    Doh... :D

Out of interest, how long did it take the anglegrinder to get through the safe?

I found this-
    http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/Product.asp?iProductID=79
    in Telfords shop in Mountrath.

Branded 'Richmond', priced €44.99.

Looks VERY similar to the one Sparks mentioned, but has a raised section on the door where the keypad and other stuff live.

Bought one, and it's now installed and full of ammo :D

Looks pretty substantial, but I'd reckon that a determined attack with decent metal cutting tools would get into it without enormous difficulty.
    Kinda like my gun safe, I suppose.

I look at it this way: unless I’m going to spend a ton of money on SERIOUS security equipment, all I can reasonably expect to do is make it awkward/noisy/inconvenient for the Bad Guys to get their grubby hands on my stuff. This safe and ‘ordinary’ gun safes are more than adequate for this purpose, in my opinion.

Sparks wrote:
    Out of interest, how long did it take the anglegrinder to get through the safe?
    And if you had ammo in it, how did that like the angle-grinder??? :eek:

Resurrecting old thread!

Just found an interesting thread on gun safes over on The High Road-
    http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=115579
    Check out the pictures!

EEEEEKKK! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

EEEEEKKK! :eek:

Indeed ..!

Oh what an impoverished land we live in...sigh !! :(

Advertisement