Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yes, yes, ANOTHER short story :-)

Options
  • 20-10-2000 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭

This one is very obviously inspired by David Gemell (yes I also stole a character name smile.gif), but until I develop my own distinct writing style, Ill try and see if I can match other writers styles. In this one, I tried to use some of the same type of graphic imagery from "A Smile Too Far", coupled with more serene images like in "One Moment".
    Anyway, here goes:

Life In A Moment

Kharn cursed loudly, as his steed reared, tossing him from the saddle, his claymore falling from his hands as he hit the rocky ground. Everywhere, the village was in turmoil. The raiders had been fast, and relentless. Fear of them was not misplaced. Each spring, Saurai raiding parties ventured into the Drelnoch lands, attacking and sacking border towns and villages, slaughtering all they encountered. Only in the walled cities was it safe. Even garrisoned towns weren't impregnable to sufficiently large raiding parties.

Kharn grabbed his claymore, its golden hilt reddened from battle. Along with a dozen or so other men from the village, he battled to keep the raiders from the barn that sheltering the women and children. He knew that the odds were greatly against them. Fifty raiders, had already killed thirty village men before they knew what hit them. Another twenty had died trying to get their families to the barn for protection.

Two Saurai raiders rode straight towards Kharn, sabres in their hands, screaming furious battle cries. Kharn stood his ground, until the last second. He threw himself to the ground on the right of the right hand raider, slashing his horses legs from under him. The horse fell, throwing its rider. Kharn was up, dagger drawn before the Saurai hit the ground. The blade sliced through the air and took the second rider in the neck. The first Saurai was upon him again, seething with anger at being thrown. Seeing his fury, Kharn baited the Saurai into making a final lunge, leaving his defences open for a vicious riposte to end his days of murder.

Screams of terror rang out from the barn.
    "Rowena! Cailn! I'm coming!" screamed Kharn, as panic swept through him, thoughts of his wife and son overcoming his usual discipline. Three Saurai had entered the barn, four defenders lay dead at the door. Another three raiders were between Kharn and the barn. He rushed at them furiously, felling one, then another, madness fuelling every lethal slash of his blade. Everything that mattered to him lay in the barn, and utter despair began to engulf him. Four more Saurai, having seen Kharns relentless attack, rushed to the aid of the remaining Saurai.

As he fought, tears streamed down Kharn's bloodstained face. Anger, love, hatred, despair, anguish, so many feelings overcoming all his senses as he fought for his very being. A thrust caught him in the shoulder, spurring him on more furiously than before, but there were too many. Two more Saurai were felled, before a dagger was plunged into his leg, his claymore instantly dispatching its wielder.

Then, all went silent. Not the kind of hushed silence when a crowd begins to quieten, or even the hallowed silence of early morn. It was a silence of such purity that Kharn had never known. All had stopped. Men were frozen mid-stride, blades cutting the air had halted, flames that were leaping high suddenly ceased. Kharn looked around and saw a world frozen in time. Bloodshed lay all around him. A shiver went down his spine as he saw Goden, his boyhood friend, monstrously impaled upon a black steel lance.

He blinked a tear away, and as he did, he was on an old dirt road. He remembered this road well. On either side lay willow trees overhanging the road, in the background the sound of the Sarrow river, and the birds brightly chirping enjoying the blue sky. This was the road to his grandfathers house, along which he had travelled many times in his youth. Visiting his grandfather was always an adventure of sorts, and a weekly event he had cherished during his youth.

Suddenly he was at the old oak grove, rays of sun softly, silently, sleekly threading their way through the rich green leaves, gently caressing the most beautiful face in the world. He stared into Rowena's eyes, almost drowning in their blue oceans. The sun shone on her flowing red hair, as the gentle breeze whispered words of passion.
    The was the first time he had kissed her lips, felt her touch, known her passion. It was a day he would remember for a lifetime.

Now he was riding along the beach, side by side with Rowena on her black mare, reaching across to her, holding her hand. Waves crashed onto the beach, as seagulls screeched overhead. It was the spring of his thirtieth year, twelve after he had married Rowena. He remembered this day so clearly, for on this day he learned he was to be a father, something he had given up hope for. It was one of the joyous moments in his life.

Outside the storm brewed, growing in strength with every passing minute. Kharn didn't care. In the next room the apothecary and midwife were helping his son into the world. He had endured hours of torturous waiting, when they came out to him, and told him he could go see his son. Kharn cried as he held Cailn in his hands for the first time. He never knew such feelings, such love, such happiness, as he cradled his joy in his arms, softly hugging his little warrior.

Kharn opened his eyes, to the ruinous sight that lay before him. He knew what the Saurai did with the women. He knew of the slave markets and all the evils of the Saurai. Inside the barn, two dark, frightened eyes stared from under a trapdoor, as the raiders dragged the women away. Cailn was too terrified to scream, as he watched his mother fight, and the Saurai cut her throat. He tried to shout, but no words came from his lips. He tried to run to her aid, but found his legs wouldn't obey, too terrified to respond. He felt ashamed of himself that day, but looking back he knew in his heart, there was nothing he, as a six year old, could have done, but swear vengeance when he was able.

Kharn wondered why it had gone so silent. He had been battling so furiously. Thoughts of Rowena and Cailn had been foremost on his mind. He had remembered the best moments of his life, and now he began to return to reality and realise what was around him again. His neck felt so cold, cold like ice, and wondered why. A Saurai was behind him, having swung his sabre into the back of his neck, but stopped still. Why had he stopped?
    Even as he realised his fate, Kharns thoughts returned to his wife and son, as he hoped they would be safe, and that someday, he would again see them again in the eternal garden.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Hannah

i like this one the best of the three, it's less purple prose, more story.
    H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

And I used ure name -Kharn - cause its cool smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

What's wrong with my name? Oh right, answer's in the question cool.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Wyverne

nice one paladin, i enjoyed that

smile.gif

Im Going to Thrash you to within an Inch of your Life.....................
    AND THEN TAKE THAT INCH!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 NiSh

Class bit of writing there Pal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

heeheehee - I'm honored!

Great stuff that Pal! Keep 'em coming!

All the best,
    kharn_sig.gif

Advertisement