Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Battlestar: Pilot's goodluck charm ?

• 09-11-2004 10:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭

On last nights episode and on (I think) the first episode, the Viper pilots touch a photo pinned to the wall for luck as they enter leave their briefing room. (Adama did it on the way in last night). The photo basically shows someone's back.
    Did I miss something or does anyone know what the significance of this photo is?

PS - let me just say that I am very impressed with the adult tone of this show. It is the only SF show for a long time that does not condescend to its audience. Full marks all round.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Hear, hear. ...but I hope they're not going to remake the "Starbuck remaking a Zilon companion" episode!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

PS - let me just say that I am very impressed with the adult tone of this show. It is the only SF show for a long time that does not condescend to its audience. Full marks all round.

I watched the pilot mini-series and the first episode and wrote it off as condescending crap. Every ten minutes they are doing another moral lesson about how its OK to let innocent people die for the greater good.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Gurgle wrote:
    Every ten minutes they are doing another moral lesson about how its OK to let innocent people die for the greater good.
    Given that's very different to the line taken normally by US shows, how is it condescending crap? Especially since they debated the ethics of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Steven999

yeah ive seen that good luck charm . all i know is that to my eyes it looks like someone on thieir knees looking onto a city being nuked . prob Caprica or one of the many others .

And as all the pilots leave or enter and touch it some say ,"never forget" so I'd say its a nuked city .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Compare it to recent episodes of Stargate. No one seemed to get that worked up over the fact that there was a rouge intelligence group out there literally butchering whole worlds. :rolleyes:

After watching a few episodes of Galactica, SG is starting to feel like its filled with fluffer material.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Yeah I was wondering what that photo was too, anyone have any ideas? Couldn't get a close look at it, figured I'd missed something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

Sky seem to be showing the mini series fairly regularly on the movies channels, so I guess I could record it, trawl through it and have a look:)

c0y0te

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Fenster wrote:
    Compare it to recent episodes of Stargate. No one seemed to get that worked up over the fact that there was a rouge intelligence group out there literally butchering whole worlds. :rolleyes:

After watching a few episodes of Galactica, SG is starting to feel like its filled with fluffer material.
    Oi! Leave it alone. They had a debate, for example, on having the military use the poision (Davis did it) but decided against it. When the rogue intelligence group started knocking out worlds, SG1 went after them - I think that showed they got worked up over it...

SG1 is, however, a somewhat more light-hearted show (I assume that's what you're saying), not least because of the character's love of sarcasm. BSG is very gritty and the likes of Adama and Apollo are generally a humorless bunch. Even the ones who smile and laugh more, like Starbuck, are filled with internal angst. It doesn't lessen SG1 *sniff* which has 7.5 years under its belt *sniff* you've made my forum cry now... I'm off to comfort it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

SG1 is fine for 'light' entertainment. I tape it, watch it but don't ever feel myself getting 'caught up in it' so to speak.

For me to engage with a show (sci-fi or otherwise) it has to have depth and make me think about things. SG1 is more akin to Star Trek [insert relevant series title] where each item is episodic by nature and it basically delivers the 'quick fix' of entertainment each week.

Don't get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with that approach, and obviously it works for the majority of its fans (7th season and all that), but for me the only shows I can think of that gripped me in the sci-fi genre were Babylon 5 and Farscape.. to date.

Right now I'm getting the feeling that Battlestar Galactica could grow into one of those rate items. I'm certainly hoping so. I'd love to get hooked into a 5 year story arc, which remains dark, moody and gritty and stays faithful to the format they have led with in series 1.

c0y0te

Advertisement