Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of school will/are your kids going to?

Options
  • 09-11-2004 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭

I went to an all girls school - I loved it but wonder would it be best for kids to attend a mixed sex school rather than the same sex in order for them to mix and have more confidence with the opposite sex. I don't think it made any difference to me. My daughter is attending the school I went to and loves it but she's going into 1st year next year (can't believe it - my baby) and she is torn between staying at the school she's in or attending a mixed sex school. We are attending open days for both schools shortly and ideally I want her to make the decision for herself - she keeps asking me what I think? Would like to hear other people's own/their kids experiences. Also my son has his name down in two schools at the moment for September 2007 - one school is a Christian Brothers school (highly recommended here in Waterford) and the other is a new Educate Together school. I'm more for the Educate Together school as I feel he will get a chance to mix with both sexes, multi-nationalities, etc. Anyone have any experience with these schools?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

You sound like a good mother so any.....( this may be the wrong word to use here ).....negative ideals that your children may acquire in Religious schools you will have no problem in countering. Therefore I would tend toward the single sex schools, my reasoning is thus; in a mixed school you will be distracted by the other sex ( I realise they are young but presuming they stay there for years ) you will want to attract the attention of the other sex. The other sex will respond, as is the nature of these things :); so at a certain age these distractions can possibly affect grades/ attention paid in class and to teachers. After all, I'm certain they will interact with other sexes/races outside school even while going to these single-sex schools but the important part here is after school. I may be making too much of this issue though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

Whatever choice you make, you are certainly approaching the decision as a very caring and concerned parent.

My eldest had the choice of a Christian Brothers school or a mixed school last year and he ended up choosing the CBS. It was the right decision for him but the next lad will probably go to the mixed school - at least that's how he is feeling right now.

My primary motivation is to get the best possible education locally to suit the child. My eldest is very academic and has high goals for himself, he was also a poor mixer in primary school (mixed) so the distractions of girls would not be appropriate for him. It has turned out to be an excellent choice as he has high grades and a great gang of lads to hang out with. His brother is a completely different child - very sociable and into team sports and activities. The mixed school has great music and drama opportunites as well as a decent curriculum, so it looks like that will be the choice when his turn comes.

From knowing kids that go to both schools, the boys in the Christian Brothers don't seem to have any problems mixing with the opposite sex! Most schools nowadays arrange activities with schools of the opposite sex anyway.

Wait and see what happens at the Open Day and discuss it with your children then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

Thanks for the replies :) - well the daughter is sorted. She has def decided to stay at the all girls school. All her mates are staying there including her "best friend ever" so that's it. TBH I'm glad she is as I do think it could be a distraction. God knows I got to mix with enough boys after school. Besides she goes to a youth club twice a week thats mixed sex/nationalities. Its weird going to the parent teacher meetings though when the teacher has taught you yourself! She is around the 5th generation of women in our family going to the Presentation. Its mad because my own Mam (shes only 48) was taught by the current headteacher in my daughter's primary school and shes often invited into her office for coffee!!

As for my son well I need to think about that more...

Thanks again for the replies - it has really helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

i went to both
    mixed schools are only good for the social aspect of things for girls classes are held back for boys girls are faster learners then boys. the best was the singel sex school for girls and singel sex for accdemic boys

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

girls are faster learners then boys.
    No. Girls just take orders easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

My kids have always been in a mixed school. Maybe its just me but I think children mature a lot earlier now than we did and are more serious about their school work. Mixed classes have never been a problem for mine in fact I think having the "more mature" girls in his class may have had a positive effect on him academically.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Guys and gals learn differently. In a mixed school, they're taught the same, so one may suffer. Best goto a single-sex school.
    As for "more confidence with the opposite sex", they'll get that regardless.

Advertisement