Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bringing goods in from US and customs...

• 09-11-2004 10:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

I've been hearing alot over the last few weeks in the media about customs being more vigilant about bringing in goods bought abroad. I'm heading for New York for a week before Christmas and intend to purchase quite a few clothes. How can they do anything if i have all the tags taken off the clothing and it's not obvious they are brand new. Someone said to me that they can check your credit card for purchases which i find hard to believe. Can your baggage weight going out be compared to the weight of it coming in? If someone could shed some light on this i'd appreciate it...

Duke

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

I'm in the same boat too. Will be heading over to NYC next week. I did the same trip last year and got back hastle free. I don't know how they can do anything if all tags are removed from clothing. I plan on maybe buying a guitar over there too. Bringing that back may be another story....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Wouldnt worry about it. what they are mostly looking for are people buying things and bringing them into the country for resale.

(i.e. if they found 150 1 gig SD cards in your luggage you'd have a hard time convincing them that they are your own and your brought them over with you ;) )

I've never seen them stop someone with clothes etc.. Hell i've brought back laptops etc myself so the guitar should not be a problem at all (again unless you plan on buying a half dozen or so :D )

They can't check credit card statements that's a load of *&^%.

Seriously customs have a job of it chasing drugs smugglers etc than bothering about you lot. Have fun shopping (esp now the dollar is getting better and better!) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

I suppose we could do a joey on it if we wanted to and wear ALL the clothes we buy on the plane back!!

Advertisement