Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats on peoples bedside table? (I meant books for gods sake!)

Options
  • 06-10-2000 7:44pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What are people currently reading?
    I'm trying to think of the name of the book I'm engrossed in at the moment but its pretty much pap fiction.
    Just finished Inversions, planning on reading Cryptonomicon next.

Tom.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

Lo Dev!

The Best Of Myles by Flann O'Brien
    and My Idea Of Fun by Will Self

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Beside me night reading
    - The ultimate dinosaur, Robert Silverberg
    - Mask of Command, John Keegan
    - Asterix in Belgium (class)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

The Homesick Garden

for school frown.gif - damn its crap

Yossarian Lives
    PD Rank - 8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Been reading Far Side's. Am 200 or so pages through reading Lord of dem ringys - havent read it since I was about 10 or 12 and I can hardly remember a thing. Gees its great smile.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

atm i'm reading the new tom clancy book, and next is the complete notes and 2 other bill bryson books.
    and tbh i can't wait to read them again.

MiCr0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SHADOW

yeah I'm abit hooked on Tom Clancy's - Rainbox Six. Its quite cool atm....

Course not really reading that much at the moment, usually bleery eyed after starin at a puter screen for WAAAAYYY to long...!

N

If the bottom falls out of your world, drink Andrews and the world will fall out of your bottom!!
    nethousegames

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Re-reading all my Gemmell books... folks if you havent read Lion of Macedon get it... if you don't like it I'll gladly re-imburse you...

Sloshed...

Very.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Just finishing Robert Rankin, Snuff Fiction. Only 1 mention of mini-guns in it ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Iain M. Banks' Consider Phlebas. Can't believe I hadn't read any of Banks' stuff before Dr Teeth slapped some sense into me in a book shop a while back smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Denying History by Michael Shermer. After that it'll be Darwin's Radio by Greg Bear.

• Advertisement

Darwins Radio is damn good, and the genetic theory stuff in it is pretty accurate too... Must reread it sometime soon actually.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Just finished reading Wyrd Sisters (Prachett) and Xtinction Agenda (X-Men, X_Factor, New Mutants colleceted comics).
    Thinking about Chronicles of Thomas Convenant, but it seems too big smile.gif
    I'm in a real lazy reading mood atm - hence Prachett and comics smile.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

ditto here about the lazy mood- hence Hitch-hikers Guide and comedy CD's...

Bard
    _____
    -me-

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Just finished Veronika decides to die by Paulo Coelho,

Just about to start Royal Assassain by Robin Hobb (again...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

OK 2 mentioned earlier in the post but they're both excellent. Cryptonomicon is quite simply one of the best books I've read in a long while. Beg borrow or steal a copy.
    Darwins' Radio is.. well what Shinji said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Paper:
    "Tales of a Dying Earth" - Jack Vance. Easy reading fairy tale stuff, not as hard to get used to as Lyonesse.

"The Ufo Engima" - Sturrock (factual)

"The Ecolitan Enigma" - Modesitt

Clan ReaveR Hompage

[This message has been edited by _CreeD_ (edited 10-10-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

abolition of man by cs lewis.
    all about the idea of teaching and its effects on people and about how language reflects reality.
    and how we under-estimate the importance of emotion in our lives. it is great.
    and a college ethics book which is just super.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭metalchicken

Well, on my bedside table is "which lie did I tell" by William Goldman which I got for my birthday (THANKS DAVID smile.gif ), but on the bus I'm reading T.H. White's "Once and future king".
    It's really good so far, made up of five books about the Arthurian legend. The first book is sword in the stone, but its really different from the disney cartoon (no madam mim anywhere!!!). It's a GROWN UP book though, honestly. Very witty. I think. smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Fear and Loating in Las Vegas - not worth reading really. I imagine it's supposed to have shock value but we've seen it all before. The only reason I'm finishing it is cos I hate leaving books unfinished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Take Back Plenty by Colin Greenland. Really good SF.

Speaking of Robert Rankin, does anybody haveone of those amazing rotary machine guns, like the one Blaine had in Predator ? smile.gif

Im going to the bear fights tomorrow, want to come with ??

• Advertisement

Mhmm, for good Arthurian legend stuff, try The Crystal Cave and The Hollow Hills - can't remember what order these come in. Fascinating look at the legend through the eyes of Merlin; presents him as a young man with an unnatural power, as opposed to a wise dude with a big beard. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by ButcherOfNog:
    Just finishing Robert Rankin, Snuff Fiction. Only 1 mention of mini-guns in it ....

its an old charter, or tadition, or something....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

High Fidelity _Nick Hornby
    Howard Marks autobiography (amazing read!)
    Pocket book of Tai Chi

Didn't think much of High Fidelity.
    Mr. Nice was excellent. I defy anyone not to choke up a little when he talks about his son at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Anne Rice's "The Queen of the Damned".

Kharn, read the Chronicles of The Unbeleiver Covenent! You won't regret it!

Luc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

The first 3 Harry Potter books

1 down, and 2 to go smile.gif

Well worth anyones time!

American Psycho. It's erm... a bit.. erm..
    I'll let yis know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

There is a melted speaker on my bedside now.

I pushed my lamp up against it to stop the glare while I was reading. Forgot about it.
    Smelt something funny. Was my speaker case on fire. Well damn smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Paladin (edited 13-10-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭tobi

C++ Plus Data Structures ShudderI know I know i'm sad

I warned you! But did you listen to me? Oh no, you knew it all, didn't you? Oh, its just a harmless little bunny, isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

2000/2001 night courses book, wheel of time book 4:the shadow rising, citrix metaframe server manual, deus ex manual (cant find the case to put in)

Advertisement