Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats on peoples bedside table? (I meant books for gods sake!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Hannah

i'm readin lord of the rings and i stand by my opinion that it is highly overrated, k so i haven't actually finished it yet but i mean first Gandalf dies, then Boromir turns bad, what can i say is there no end to the bad luck that one hobbit must endure?,
    disillusioned,
    H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

I'm reading book one of the Wheel of Time at the moment... it's about the fourth time I've read it... and after that I shall go onto book two.. then book three... etc.

Last week I finished reading A Line in the Sand by Gerald Seymour... a pretty average book.. nothing spectacular at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭tobi

Hannah I suggest you keep reading.

Lots of surprises ahead smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Like I know!
    ROFL @ Hannah.
    Actually, coming from the manic depressive pessimist that she is, Id say that TLOTR stands in pretty good stead with a mere "overrated rolleyes.gif" put down. smile.gif

Nice to see u posting btw Hannah smile.gif

signature.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Hannah registered? Hey, whadda ya mean Pal? She calls me a manic-depressive, so just how bad am I? cool.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭stu_69

just finished "white city blue" by tim lott
    very good book but takes a while to get going.
    also just finished a book called "ralphs party" by god knows who. it was stuck to the front of some womens magazine my mother bought - actuaqly turned out to be not a bad book considering i started reading it on the toilet.
    i'm about to start reading sean hughes new book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭DaBounca

i in the middle of tom clancy's rainbow six and jrr tolkien's book of lost tales part 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

I picked up a copy of Lord of the Rings a few weeks back and am slowly making my way through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

omg. another lepper redface.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Zen and the Art of Motor Cycle Maintenance by Robert M Pirsig. Very important book.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

I saw a fella in the canteen the other day reading that book.

I laughed.

But seriously, is it any good? And what's it about?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

god i read that book years ago
    its not too bad at all

better that the world according to garp

i've just finished lord of the flies.
    a most excellent book, if u haven't read it go get a copy, NOW!
    H

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Invader by C.J. Cherryh.

The Lost Continent by Bill Bryson.

Ackermanthology by Forest J. Ackerman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

anything by Dean Koontz is generally a damn good read..
    which is why im currently reading "Strangers" for the fourth time.. bloody excellent story.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Originally posted by Hannah:
    i've just finished lord of the flies.
    a most excellent book, if u haven't read it go get a copy, NOW!
    H

Read that for my Junior Cert (7 years ago - OMFG!). T'was a good book, but like anything you have to read for school, tended to be over analysed by the teachers which takes a lot of enjoyment out of it.
    Definitely a good read though...

All the best,
    kharn_sig.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Zapper

just finished "Adverntures in the Screen Trade" by William Goldman...good read...

have to agree with you kharn, teachers definitely pick a good book to death, answer; study a really bad book!, at least that seems to be our teacher's solution!, the drivel they make us read would put anyone off literature for life.
    k, i've finished ranting now smile.gif, it's just really bugs me,
    H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Skorzeny

Anyone read Hannibal yet, a truely terrifying book.Harris has 1 sick mind but ppl die in such cool ways eek.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

Originally posted by Skorzeny:
    Anyone read Hannibal yet, a truely terrifying book.Harris has 1 sick mind but ppl die in such cool ways eek.gif

you haven't finished this book yet have you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Skorzeny

Yeah i finished it a couple of weeks ago.
    Some f the stuff that goes down at the end of the book is simply fantastic and very sick.
    Defently the best murder i`ve ever read. evild.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Has anyone read 'Monkey on my Back' and what did they think of it? I can tthink of the authors name, Decker me thinks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

I've just finished reading "Hannibal" as well. In case people don't know, it's the sequel to "The Silence of the Lambs" and is well worth a read.

Has anyone read Dave Courtney's (geezer wot Vinny Jones character in Lock Stock was based on) autobiography, "Stop the Ride, I want to get off"? He's a funny ****er.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Derek Bell

Originally posted by DeVore:
    What are people currently reading?
    I'm trying to think of the name of the book I'm engrossed in at the moment but its pretty much pap fiction.
    Just finished Inversions, planning on reading Cryptonomicon next.

Tom.

Currently, I'm reading _Rebus: The Early Years_ by Ian Rankin. He's a Scottish detective novelist. His main character is Inspector John Rebus, most of whose cases are set in Edinburgh. It's a good series, in a gritty style. The Early Years volume contains the first three novels: Knots & Crosses, Hide & Seek and Tooth & Nail. I've nearly finished it - in this one, Rebus is in London, helping solve a case involving a serial killer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Derek Bell

Originally posted by _CreeD_:
    Paper:
    "Tales of a Dying Earth" - Jack Vance. Easy reading fairy tale stuff, not as hard to get used to as Lyonesse.

The _Dying Earth_ series are quite influential - I think Gene Wolfe said his _Book of the New Sun_ series owes a great deal to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Jelvon

William Shatner's " In Alien Hands" , , captatin kirk can actually write a decent book , WOWWWW

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭stu_69

i've just started eddie bunker's "No Beast So Fierce" he was mr blue in resevoir dogs if anybodys interested

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I'm reading Trainspotting and tbh I can't see what the fuss is about. I haven't finished it yet but it looks like it's critically aclaimed more because of "controversial" content rather than actually being good.

And why does the whole ****ing thing have to be written in a scotish accent! eek.gifmad.gifeek.gif I could understand having the speech with accent but having the whole thing like that makes it like ****speare - the little extra effort trying to sort out what he's said makes it less enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭shank

Stu_69: All Ed Bunkers stuff is excellent, no beast so fierce is prolly the best, just bought his bio "Education of a Felon : A Memoir" which originally was titled "Confessions of a white ****" now I wonder why the publisher changed the title wink.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I tend to read several books at the same time. Just finished Scapegoat by Andrea Dworkin (good, but not my favourite of hers, she's one of the most under-rated political writers ever) and Secrets and Lies by Bruce Schneier(everyone who uses a computer and isn't a complete infosec expert should read it) and I'm now re-reading World's End; one of the Sandman comics by Neil Gaiman, and reading Applied Cryptograhpy by Bruce Schneier.

Advertisement