Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WLR = new wave of winbacks? :/

Options
  • 09-11-2004 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Having just switched my line rental to UTV (CPS with them for two years already), I was visited by an eircom winback lady yesterday. First off, how often are they allowed to do this? As another winback guy called about a year ago, and I'm fairly sure there has to be a certain interval between visits.

Anyway, the standard has gone up a little. The guy a year ago hadn't a clue - I can't remember the specifics of the conversation at this stage but when I mentioned DSL, he said he didn't really know much about broadband but that he had "appealing eircom offer X" that I might be interested in. After being polite enough to glance at his figures, I told him I was happy with UTV.

Then the one yesterday. I can only assume anyone changing line rental from eircom is going to be subject to a winback attempt, because she didn't seem to know that I already had by CPS with UTV, i.e. she was only aware that my line rental had changed recently to another company.

But yeah, she was reasonably knowledgable. She had the usual appealing eircom offer... something like €14 a month for a certain amount of free off-peak landline-landline calls. Obviously this didn't hold up to UTV's same deal for €0, but she actually asked me for feedback and I told her about broadband (quoting from here about the 50% population coverage and <20% exchange coverage) and how I'd really like broadband, etc. :P She offered satellite broadband then, but I told her how crap that is. I asked her about eircom FWA, she didn't know.

Still, I was a bit more impressed than the last time. It was actually a half decent attempt, even if she didn't have a leg to stand on when faced with UTV. ;/ Amusing thing was that she said she'd call back in a few months after I saw a few UTV bills, that maybe she could convince me then. I told her not to bother. =) But I've no doubt she'll be back anyway, maybe I should complain to her about how the line rental from UTV is too high lol!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I've switched from €ircon to Euhpony twice on two separate accounts in the last year and never had a winback call or visit!

Am I the only one mercifully eircom-free?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Yeah...i'm with UTV,i got a call from an Eircom rep. My bro used to work as winback rep for Eircom....and when i told the rep this he knew he'd be wasting his time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

RuggieBear wrote:
    My bro used to work as winback rep for Eircom

All eircom slagging aside, that must have been one hell of a job!
    .cg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

cgarvey wrote:
    All eircom slagging aside, that must have been one hell of a job!
    .cg

Huge turnover doing it....my brother lasted 6months which made him the longest lasting rep at the time! He was good at it....he never lied and he would help people make savings if he could and he never talked somebody out of a cheaper/better deal from one of the other companies. That's why he was successful at it....he was honest and sincere but also knew how to close on those who would it benefited!

The main problem they had was with dodgy reps spouting lie to little old dears just to get the winback and also the backoffice who orgainised the leads....my bro would hand in his spent leads with notes on which firm the customers were with and the often zero likelyhood of winning them back and a week later he would get the same leads. At first he didn't click it but some muppet in the office was sending him back to no hopers and leads he had already spent, so he'd be out bothering people he had no chance of winning back or had had a winback rep call already!

But yeah, he used to get nonstop abuse...especially from the former eircom shareholders! Really miserable job and he got to meet every aspect of human character from the nice to the downright mean and stupid! Some people are really ignorant!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ah, the Cheats On The Street. Might I suggest that if any of you do get called into, or called on the telephone, or letters in the post, you don't immediately slam the door, hang up the phone, or bin it.

Take the time to register your displeasure with Eircom and explain that price isn't the only factor for your choice, in fact it may not be a major factor at all. Some of the Cheats have rocks in their head, but others will listen, and your comments will feed up the chain.

And ask your family and friends to do the same. Explain to them that it'll only take a minute of their time, but that if that minute goes a small way towards convincing Eircom that they're getting it wrong, well, they might go a small way towards getting it right.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I'm still waiting for the €ircon Winback attempt at my door. I long for that day. I know the Winback Rep could't give a rats arse about my problems with €ircon but it would feel great to shoot down every single 'offer' €ircon have. As long as UTV can offer the same rental price plus free calls and cheaper broadband, anyone who stay with or goes back to €ircon deserve to be ripped off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I firm but polite "NO" is all that is required then shut the door. I've heard that they make a mark on your gate post if they consider you a soft touch as a signal to other winbacks. Don't be fooled by them saying that they need to "invest in the network". We all know where the money really goes.

Advertisement