Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Emlyn Hughes R.I.P.

• 09-11-2004 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭

Sad news, cancer victim.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

God!! I din't even know he was ill. RIP Emlyn.

Football great Emlyn Hughes dies

Obituary: Emlyn Hughes
    Former England and Liverpool captain Emlyn Hughes has died from a brain tumour at the age of 57.
    Hughes earned 62 caps for the national team and led Liverpool to a string of honours while at the Anfield club.

He helped the club to four league titles, two European Cups, an FA Cup victory and two Uefa Cup titles.

Hughes was the first player to lift the European Cup for Liverpool after the victory over Borussia Moenchengladbach in 1977.

LINK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

From BBC Sport website:

Former England and Liverpool captain Emlyn Hughes has died from a brain tumour at the age of 57.
    Hughes earned 62 caps for the national team and led Liverpool to a string of honours while at the Anfield club.

He helped the club to four league titles, two European Cups, an FA Cup victory and two Uefa Cup titles.

Hughes was the first player to lift the European Cup for Liverpool after the victory over Borussia Moenchengladbach in 1977.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

He was a great personality, a sad loss at such a young age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Sad to hear this

Many will remember him as the guy who could never pronounce Paul McGrath properly (always McGrat with the emphasis on the t at the end) but I'd like to remember him as the man who lent his name to the greatest soccer game on the Commodore 64 and still one of the best soccer games ever - Emeyln Hughes' International Soccer.

RIP Emelyn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

He always struck me as a nice guy.

RIP

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Sad news ....RIP Emlyn

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Nemici

good lad Emlyn.

62 Full England Caps

23 times Captain of England

8 England Under-23 Caps

2 European Cup Winners Medals

5 League Championship Medals

2 EUFA Cup Winners Medals

1 FA Cup Winners Medal

1 FA Cup runners up Medal

1 League Cup Winners Medal

7 Charity Shield Winners Medals

1 Super Cup Winners Medal

Footballer of the Year 1977

Sportsman of the Year 1978

Awarded the OBE in 1980

TV Presenter of Question of Sport,

Sporting Triangles and several other TV shows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Wasnt he the bloke that used to do the soccer on UTV years ago before Sky took over??? he had a squeaky kind of voice!! he was a Legend!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

R.i.p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

A true legend, and seemed a very nice bloke too. I'll never forget his piledrivers :D

Rest in peace Crazy Horse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Sad News , he was a Great Player and very entertaining in his TV work.

R.I.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Ardent

RIP, lovely fella, sad news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

R.i.p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

May he rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah the good die young...

This from shanklygates -
    Reds legend Hughes passess away

By James Carroll
    Date: 9/11/2004

Liverpool legend Emlyn Hughes has sadly passed away. The former Reds' captain had battled bravely against a brain tumour for the past 16 months.

Hughes died in the early hours of this morning at his home in Sheffield aged 57. He was signed by Bill Shankly in 1967 and became a huge hit with the Kop.

Nicknamed 'Crazy Horse', his commitment to the cause and love for the club also made him a firm favourite on Merseyside. He won almost every major honour in the game during his time at Anfield.

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry said today: "Our deepest sympathies go out to wife Barbara, children Emma and Emlyn junior, and the rest of the family at this sad time."

Former right-back Phil Neal added: "He was special to us all. The Crazy Horse will be missed."

"His effervescent character and will to win every game rubbed off on all of us. He was a magnificent captain not just for Liverpool but England as well and we should never forget that."

"He had a tremendous will to win, even in difficult circumstances. And away from home, with Emlyn around telling you that you could win, we often did. Nobody was more a winner than Emlyn."

"He was always bubbly and sparking and in all the time I have known him, he was never down. It is so sad that he was made to battle at the end of his short life."

Meanwhile, Terry McDermott said: "It's such a sad, sad, day. The smile on his face, that tells you everything about Emlyn Hughes."

"He was so positive in everything he did. I'm Mr Pessimistic he's always Mr Optimistic. He was a fabulous person to be around, fun, he loved to go out with the lads."

"He loved a pint but absolutely adored his football. Of all the people I've known in football I'd say Emlyn is the one who absolutely adored playing football no matter where he was playing. He would just want to give 110%."

"The way he played his football. He was so enthusiastic about the game. They called him Crazy Horse didn't they and that's exactly what he was. He was up and down that pitch, he never stopped. He never stopped encouraging you."

"He was just an unbelievable character and as I keep saying he will be sadly missed and he certainly won't be forgotten. The Liverpool fans will never forget him. We possibly will never see the likes of him again."

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Nemici wrote:
    62 Full England Caps

23 times Captain of England

8 England Under-23 Caps

2 European Cup Winners Medals

5 League Championship Medals

2 EUFA Cup Winners Medals

1 FA Cup Winners Medal

1 FA Cup runners up Medal

1 League Cup Winners Medal

7 Charity Shield Winners Medals

1 Super Cup Winners Medal

Footballer of the Year 1977

Sportsman of the Year 1978

Awarded the OBE in 1980

TV Presenter of Question of Sport,

Sporting Triangles and several other TV shows

Have to respect achievements like that.

R.I.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

Such a sad day for Liverpool and football fans

I had the rare privilege of meeting him while at Anfield four years ago. I was at the club museum and trophy room and as I was leaving, I saw him in the corridor and went to speak to him. The first thing I saw was that wonderful big smile on his face and his outstretched hand.

"How are ya, sunshine" he said to me, as if greeting an old friend. I told him it was a privilege to meet a REAL player with such a fantastic pedigree and a true winner. He was truly chuffed to receive such praise and very appreciative that I was so pleased to meet him.

It only confirmed to me the impression I had of him as a totally genuine and bubbly personality and a true gentleman. One of the clips I saw today on TV news, was of him at Wembley, walking up to lift the FA Cup, he was like a kid, clenching his fists in total joy. This was typical of how much he loved winning for Liverpool. That boyish enthusiasm stayed with him throughout his career, and went hand in hand with his huge heart and sheer drive in his performances, week in week out. 110% commitment all of the time.

It was a pleasure and privilege to see you as a player and a person.

You'll Never Walk Alone, Emlyn

May you Rest In Peace

god rest your soul crazy horse. a fine player and a gent.3 of the most popular characters the english game has ever seen, cloughie nicholson and now emlyn all died within id say less than 2 months of each other

sad indeed

• Advertisement
Advertisement