Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vermin?

• 09-11-2004 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

I'm a clay Pigeon shooter only. I don't hunt for peronal reasons. I don't judge those that do either. each to their own I say.

My qustion is one of curiosity. What constitutes Vermin?... in the eyes of the law. Because we all judge creatures based on perceptions and stories. I hear people with different views on the matter, and I'd like to be able to throw in my say.

I like Pigeons and Mag-Pie's. Simply because I grew up facinated with their markings and backyard traits... I've been told that they are Vermin. I know a Rat is vermin but can't see the similarity between a Rat and birds...

Anyway, if somebody out there can tell me, I'd be very grateful.
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭gouda

FAB24 wrote:
    I'm a clay Pigeon shooter only. I don't hunt for peronal reasons. I don't judge those that do either. each to their own I say.

My qustion is one of curiosity. What constitutes Vermin?... in the eyes of the law. Because we all judge creatures based on perceptions and stories. I hear people with different views on the matter, and I'd like to be able to throw in my say.

I like Pigeons and Mag-Pie's. Simply because I grew up facinated with their markings and backyard traits... I've been told that they are Vermin. I know a Rat is vermin but can't see the similarity between a Rat and birds...

Anyway, if somebody out there can tell me, I'd be very grateful.
    Cheers

Pretty much any bird or mammal which is not considered game i.e Deer,Pheasant,Partridge,Grouse,Hare,Snipe,Woodcock,Golden Plover,Duck,Geese etc are all considered game so anything else can be considered vermin with a few exceptions i.e. Stoat,Pine Marten,Owls,etc. I can't give a comprehensive list and am sure someone will correct my errors but the Wildlife Act 1976 and 2000 should clarify things for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

I think Gouda wanted to know why a creature is considerd vermin and others not.
    If I remember rightly,[in olde English law]it goes back to any creature that plunderd,stole or otherwise made off with Mans bounty or crops or other domestic animals.
    Thus Hawks and birds of prey who took domestic fowl,foxes and wolves that took lambs,sheep,crows and magpies that took corn and so on.
    Remembering also when those laws were writtenfarming methods were alot more primitive than nowadays,and a good flock of crows could make off with your entire years work and income ,not to mind your only method of tax payment as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭FAB24

Thanks a lot guys. You have given me something to think about. I'll take a look at the act for info.

Thank you.

Advertisement