Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns of the South

Options
  • 31-10-2000 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

Anyone read this? From Harry Turtledove, who seems to be big into the 'alternative history' type stuff - he overstretched it with the World War series but this is great.

In 1864 the Confederates are losing the US Civil War until a mysterious bloke demonstrates a new rifle to the Southerners, a weapon with an incredible rate of fire and lethal accuracy. He calls it an AK-47.....

Very enjoyable, check it out if you're interested in the time period or just like a bloody good 'what if?' yarn smile.gif

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Excellent book, very enjoyable alternative history which Turtledove does so well (egs Alien Lizards invade during WWII or a cold-war USvUSSR in an inhabited Mars etc). What did annoy me (SPOILER ALERT) was than he made the villians Afrikaners. I mean its not as if the USA has not it's own share of jerks.
    I also think it is continued in a slightly different fashion 20years + 50years on (Think British/Confederate Empire vs Imperial Germany and USA).
    A good fiction read (this reality smile.gif) would be Shaara's "The Killer Angels" which deals with that Civil war.

fair is the prize and the hope is great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Really enjoyed the Worldwar series, looking forward to reading this one, i have it, just havent got round to reading it yet...

Im going to the bear fights tomorrow, want to come with ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by Manach:
    What did annoy me (SPOILER ALERT) was than he made the villians Afrikaners. I mean its not as if the USA has not it's own share of jerks.

hmmm, i thought it made some sense, it didn't annoy me. After about thirty pages it was obviouis from the names and accents et al that they were either Dutch or South African, and I couldn't think of any reason the Dutch would have to change the course of the Civil War smile.gif

Advertisement