Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Dark Day- Broadband Connection Taken Away....

Options
  • 09-11-2004 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭

So i climb out of bed at 12 to get my cup of coffee and my phone rings, hmm..looks like an IBB number i can only think of a few reasons why they would be contacting me...(and yes i was correct)

So i answer and there is a lovely lady(with a very sexy accent) named Lilly who informs me that the property management company of my apartment complex have instructed that my reciever be taken down.

I argued my case that I use it to make a living, no ifs or buts accepted.....
    It's in breach of the lease rules & regulations, no dishes etc.....

So i am pretty much screwed, my online poker days are numbered. I have no intention of playing from an internet cafe, my eircom options are uncertain, i've been told my line may not qualify if i have it installed (GRRREaaaaTTT, as Tony would say)

I suppose there is some point to this thread and it is to ask a question, does anyone who plays online use Ripwave? from what i have read the service is a complete joke (people putting the reciever outside to get a clean signal etc...)

You will be seeing alot more of me in the Fitz in future!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Hi Samba that is a bummer altogether. Have you no NTL capability in that area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Just called there, i can't even get digital!!!(which is a joke considering i can't even get a sat. dish either) Man o Man....looks like it's back to the 9-5 until i can get somthing sorted.

Im not 100% on that Hyz and even so not sure if the flat m8s would be keen on that idea, im going to ring IBB now and make every possible enquiry.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I don't suppose the receiver would have los from inside next to a window etc?

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 5,697 ✭✭✭jd

Samba wrote:
    property management company of my apartment complex have instructed that my reciever be taken down.
    which complex?

Where isn't really important, it applies to any property managed by Wyse property Management Co.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

jd wrote:
    which complex?

I'd be interested in which complex too (just in case it's mine!). I discussed with my management company the idea of putting up an aerial for IBB but yer wan wasn't sure if it'd be ok to do so and suggested I wait till the AGM before making any rash decisions that I might regret. I've gone with Riwave since and the service is erratic.

Edit:
    it applies to any property managed by Wyse property Management Co

Fair enough, my management company is RF Property Management, they apparently have the same restriction and I didn't want to take the risk.

Sorry to hear what happened to you.

Samba wrote:
    Where isn't really important, it applies to any property managed by Wyse property Management Co.
    As is mine (in Santry)
    jd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I think Eircom can test your line before you connect. I know they did with mine, I wouldn't have connected otherwise.

If all else fails would you not consider dial up or ISDN?

No to both Dapper, with IBB i ping at 10ms, this is essential for my gameplay esp for heads up.

If there is a 1ms of hesitation, i want to know about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

How can they say no dishes etc (as in what laws)?

There's a thing over here (Austria) that you are not allowed to have dishes on certain listed buildings. There is an exception though when it is for 'cultural' reasons (such as getting your home TV stations)! Maybe there's some way to get around it such as this! Talk to the management company and tell them you must have a fast internet connection (make up a good excuse). Can you complain to anyone else about the management companies rule?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Maybe if you make the case to Wyse that it makes the property more attrative to tenants if they allow this of internt connection? Im sure if they think they can make more money in managment fees they might be interested.

Internet connections aren't going to go away, the sooner they grow up and deal with it the better things will be for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Samba wrote:
    No to both Dapper, with IBB i ping at 10ms, this is essential for my gameplay esp for heads up.

If there is a 1ms of hesitation, i want to know about it :)
    You sure? I've only ever played online with broadband so I'd be fúcking disgusted to have to use dial up of any form but I know people who have played succesfully on dial up.

You play on laddies don't you? It's one of the more stable sites - might be worth a pop.

If not have a good whinge to Eircom about a pre-connect broadband line test. I had to bitch at them to get it done but the feckers did it in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Imposter wrote:
    How can they say no dishes etc (as in what laws)?

There's a thing over here (Austria) that you are not allowed to have dishes on certain listed buildings. There is an exception though when it is for 'cultural' reasons (such as getting your home TV stations)! Maybe there's some way to get around it such as this! Talk to the management company and tell them you must have a fast internet connection (make up a good excuse). Can you complain to anyone else about the management companies rule?

It is not a law, it is a clause in the contract, which you must sign before you can buy\rent the premises. Even if you buy your own appartment, most complex' will not allow you to hang up clothes lines or stick satellite dishes on the exterior for appearance reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Johnny, this isn't CS :). Latency on dial up is going to be around 300/400ms, even to non-european servers, and I wouldn't imagine the data throughput is huge. Have you tried it on dial-up, it may be fine.

Otherwise, move house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

Although I now have broadband I played on dial up at home for months with no problems. Also have friends who still use dial up. Data for poker is very small so as long as you are playing 1 table at a time then you should have no bother. Sites I know that are OK are :
    Party
    Ladbrokes
    Ultimate bet
    Pokerstars
    VC
    Any Prima
    Coral

Just have to factor in rake to eircom, although they do a flat rate package for dial up I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Shortstack wrote:
    Just have to factor in rake to eircom, although they do a flat rate package for dial up I think.

I went with the flat rate dial up access (from Eircom) for a while and found the service very good. It almost never disconnected (my broadband disconnects more) and was quite cheap, around €30 a month for 150 hours if I remember correctly.

The service is way better than the service they provide to the free/pay as you go dial up options.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Could you get your neighbours to sign a petition?

Praetorian wrote:
    Could you get your neighbours to sign a petition?
    I think it would need to be formally passed at the agm of the management committee (ie the owners).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭David Stewart

Samba,

Check the wording of your sale contract very carefully. My management company sent a letter to everyone saying that Sky dishes were banned from the complex (mix of apartments and townhouses) under the terms of the sale agreement. When I checked with my solicitor, however, the actual wording was that dishes could not be erected in such a way that they were 'visible from the common area.' I had chosen a house with a south-facing rear wall so my dish is not visible and thus not affected by the ban. There may be similar wording in your contract that provides wriggle room.

One thing puzzles me though. Why did the management agency go to IBB and not contact you first?

David

Just an update,

So i contacted Wyse last Monday and asked if it would be possible to put it on the balcony, I got the distinct impression that the person in question was deliberately not taking my calls.

So Ibb came out on monday and moved it from the roof and put it on my balcony nicely hidden away and out of sight.

At around 7 o'clock I finally get a bloody response from this idiot and he tells me the board(bunch of old moaning Grannies who live in the complex) refused my request after much consideration.

So, if i do go with Ripwave IBB are sure to charge me for labour/Installation fee as they spent an entire morning moving it from the roof on to the Balcony.

I really am furious at this stage, I have requested to see a copy of the Terms & Conditions and I will be looking for Wriggle room(sending my solicitor a copy first thing in the morning), failing that I will be in contact with the Dept. of Communications to see if they have anything to say and finally Failing that I will be getting a petition going in the entire complex.

What absoloutley infuriates me is I have this harmless little unobvious reciever on my balcony and there are guys in the complex growing funking plants (yes the mind altering type) and hanging them on their window sills.

Unfortunately Dial up simply is not an option when playing 6 tables at the same time.

WHAT A JOKE.

End Rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Sucks bro, i hope i dont get asked to take mine down , im living in a house split up into flats too, i think they charge 150 to take it down, it would be very expensiveRipwave is a heap of crap though, unless u are right near a transmitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭David Stewart

I may be wrong on this so check with your solicitor, but the balcony is your property and does not come under the aegis of the management company. Also if I recall correctly, the IBB antenna is very discreet.If they can't see it, they can't complain about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Ah yeah its REALLY discreet, but you mite get a dodgy landlord who will tell u take it down "just because its my property"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Samba wrote:
    At around 7 o'clock I finally get a bloody response from this idiot and he tells me the board(bunch of old moaning Grannies who live in the complex) refused my request after much consideration.
    Call around to each and every one of the board members and ask why it's not allowed on the balcony. Ask them what, if anything, is alowed to be on the balcony. Continue 'hassling' them until you get satisfactory answers or have a clear legal avenue you can explore.

Advertisement