Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World of Warcraft Open Beta

• 09-11-2004 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Let the nations rejoice (though you might have to pretend you're from the US for this to work, I dunno).

https://signup.worldofwarcraft.com

Get in quick before the keys run out (All the fileplanet ones are gone).

Update, you can indeed give non us addresses and still be allowed to download the client

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

downloading now, file is 2 and a half gigs, UGH that will take a while to download. the dl speed doesn't seem to great either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

You sir, are a star. My MMORPG trials can continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Memnoch wrote:
    downloading now, file is 2 and a half gigs, UGH that will take a while to download. the dl speed doesn't seem to great either
    Yeah, I nipped home from work to kick it off :P. Last night I was getting like 60k/s when downloading the Saga of whatever using torrent. World of Warcraft seems to be like 25k/s. Maybe it will get better as more people seed it. Maybe.

on a side note this is a VERY slick move by blizzard.

They release WoW to open beta the same time that EQ2 is availible to buy... so the choice for people who are in between the two to either play WoW for free, or pay for EQ2...

very clever marketing if you ask me.

Personally I hope WoW does better due to my personal dislike for SoE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

Ive been playing Wow beta and EQ2, EQ2 in my opinion is far far better, however at least wow has pvp so its better in that respect.

WoW quests for the first 15 levels are like this kill 10 of xyz, you will get about 5 quests like this in each town at a time, around each town are a half a dozen clumps of mobs roaming around, after around you dont really read the quests you just take them all and randomly kill mobs around town until you quest journal updates. This is lame, not the worst but lame, there should be more logic to the mobs and the quests should be more interesting.

Everything else about wow if very well done, music, gfx, lag, classes are different and interesting, pvp is good, quilds vgood.

On the subject of quests there are some good ones as you get higher which are instanced, these are cool, just the run of the mill quests need to be made more interesting. Wow is like EQ lite or Diablo Ultra which is good in my opinion, who wants 2 games the sme anyway.

Both games are very fun, but EQ2 slightly outclasses wow

Just my opinion

• Advertisement

As an experienced (though disgruntled) WoWer, any suggestions for people wanting to create characters on the PvP servers? What classes might be interesting, and might there be a particular motus operandi you might suggest?

Drakar wrote:
    As an experienced (though disgruntled) WoWer, any suggestions for people wanting to create characters on the PvP servers? What classes might be interesting, and might there be a particular motus operandi you might suggest?

ok as of the latest patch in WoW (day before yesterday), this totally nerfed Mages, they are less then useless in PvP now ((because of the last 6 patches), Example mage does 1800damage warrior does 1000 x 2 and crits more, plus they have much more HP and massive AC.

At the moment top PvP classes are

Shammys
    Warriors
    Rogue
    Warlocks (mainly because of massive stamina and hence HP)

the bottom are Druid and mages

I love the mage class but its broken in pvp atm at high levels, but Im sure Blizzard will fix this class balance issue soon, the WoW forums are screaming bloody murder

Interesting. Thanks.

Where might be a good place to read up on the different strategies etc?

Drakar wrote:
    Interesting. Thanks.

Where might be a good place to read up on the different strategies etc?

you can download it and play it for the next 2 weeks free, it Open beta now as of this morning

I was more thinking of things I could do while I wait two weeks for the download to finish, it's big :P. I presume the official forums have some interesting bits perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

im downloading now 2.5 gigs . very slow for me only getting 50kbs on broadband , is this normal ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

woohoo downloading now at 110k and uploading at 110k..... Shazbot have you opened the required ports on your firewall for the downloader to function properley? i was only getting 15k a sec before i opened the ports...

Well if your broadband is 512k, the maximum you can get per sec is 64k I understand, so 50k isn't too bad (though not great). Looks like it'll be around 13hrs. Boo hoo.

no i havent , how do i allow firewall to except the download and let it download faster ?

this is rediculous , its constantly at 12 kbs :mad:

Shazbot wrote:
    no i havent , how do i allow firewall to except the download and let it download faster ?

this is rediculous , its constantly at 12 kbs :mad:

I assume you are downloading at home?, and i aslo assume you know how to configure your firewall? WHo is your ISP ?

The following ports need to be redirected to your local PC from your firewall.
    6881 to 6999

my download speed is varying hugely even after i turned off my firewall, i think its because my upload speed keeps going ridiculously high, i'm using netsource.

any idea how i can fix this so i can get a stead download speed? the way its going right now i'd be happy downloading at a steady 25-30k/s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

Downloadspeeds are crap because there are a lot of leechers on...

I'm on an 8Mbit ADSL line, and I rarely pass 80K, averaging around 50K (if I'm maxing my line I should be at around 900K).

So basically, too many leechers on :(

To limit your upload speed, get netlimiter... but don't limit it too much ... 20% under max upload speed should probably do the trick!

Oh, and while I'm at it editing my post, I think this info might be useful.
    If you are using Windows XP with SP2, there is some throttling going on. Normally you won't notice this, unless ofcourse you are using bittorrent (which the blizzard installer is). So, to fix it, get this: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/Files/XP_SP2_TCP_Slowdown_Fix.zip

lazygit wrote:
    I assume you are downloading at home?, and i aslo assume you know how to configure your firewall? WHo is your ISP ?

The following ports need to be redirected to your local PC from your firewall.
    6881 to 6999

im so lost with ur post , any chance u can pm me with a detailed guideline into it , as not to take away from the topic ?

any help would be greatly appreciated

muffen wrote:
    Downloadspeeds are crap because there are a lot of leechers on...

I'm on an 8Mbit ADSL line, and I rarely pass 80K, averaging around 50K (if I'm maxing my line I should be at around 900K).

So basically, too many leechers on :(

To limit your upload speed, get netlimiter... but don't limit it too much ... 20% under max upload speed should probably do the trick!

Oh, and while I'm at it editing my post, I think this info might be useful.
    If you are using Windows XP with SP2, there is some throttling going on. Normally you won't notice this, unless ofcourse you are using bittorrent (which the blizzard installer is). So, to fix it, get this: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/Files/XP_SP2_TCP_Slowdown_Fix.zip

where is the best place to get netlimiter?

okay i got net limiter, its great, I can actually USE my connection while downloading, which i should be able to do since I'm no where near downloading near my cap.

I don't want to be a leecher so i'm leaving the upload on but limiting it so that it doesn't completely hog my connection.

I think using Bit-Torrent to do this was a BAD idea by blizzard. Lots of other MMO's allow downloading of massive clients for free trials etc. so i don't see why Blizzard can't do it. There will always be too many leechers on something like this.

• Advertisement

Memnoch wrote:
    okay i got net limiter, its great, I can actually USE my connection while downloading, which i should be able to do since I'm no where near downloading near my cap.

I don't want to be a leecher so i'm leaving the upload on but limiting it so that it doesn't completely hog my connection.

I think using Bit-Torrent to do this was a BAD idea by blizzard. Lots of other MMO's allow downloading of massive clients for free trials etc. so i don't see why Blizzard can't do it. There will always be too many leechers on something like this.

Same as I'm doing ... I've limited my upload to 75% (seems to work best for me) of my upload speed, and just like you, I can actually browse the web now :)
    I don't like just leeching either, but if you don't limit the upload it prevents you from doing anything on the line at all...

I don't know about the bittorrent idea... could have worked well but they should have used 5 or so 100MBit connection to seed the damn thing... if you look at the stats on the torrent (sorry, cant link it) you'll see that there are about 3000 people downloading it with less than 20 seeds ... really horrible!!

BTW, if anyone else is looking for netlimiter, you can get a 28day trial version from www.netlimiter.com.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Do you have to pay or anything for this or where do i get a key to enter on the link the thread starter provided?

Nevermind, im blind as a bat.

PM Sent Shazbot!
    Downloading at 130k uploading at 150... gimmie back my files .... hehe
    49 mins remaining :) any boards players in game at the moment

Ok i dont know if this is allowed or even if it will work... Mods please remove if its not allowed.. and dont ban me as im just trying to help the poor guys above ;)

because its an OPEN beta i will put the 2.5GB installer into a zip file and put in on my ftp site, i am only going to give access to People who have allready posted in this thread..

PM me for details of the ftp site...
    I only have a 1mb upload speed so in theory the max you will get from me is 103k or so.... but i have seen it go alot faster...

50min left :)
    Speed increased quite a bit after I started using NetLimiter... averaging 180K right now :)

Anybody wanna stick it on a dvd and post me it?

[edit]with a cash reward of €5 to pay for dvd and postage[/edit]

n1ck if your in dublin ill burn a copy for ya and meet you in town!

Well been playing it for the last hour... like it so far... its my first MMORPG

I'm in Dublin alright i'm in Templeogue if you're anywhere nearer to there. :D

• Advertisement

INSTALLING!! :)

Never thought I'd be playing WoW today :)

Advertisement