Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemmell's Latest

Options
  • 30-10-2000 11:46pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just finished the latest Gemmell "Hero in the Shadows". It being the a continuation of Waylander Saga, means there is always several sides to the story. It is a good read, but shares a flaw in some of his books that the ending is a Deux ex Machina, an unexpected twist leaves a weak finale. Good but not his best.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I reckon Gemmell should just hire someone else to write his endings.

In his case, I'd forgive him. Nothing worse than really enjoying a book then having the thing go pfffft and fizzle out... suddenly.
    Was it Quest for Lost Heroes? that had the singularly worst rushed ending of any book I have ever read.

Still, I'll probably give his latest a read. His stuff is always enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Reading it at the moment. At least I now know the ending is sh1te. Thx a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Gemmell is King....

Cannaboid,

Name one, just one gemmell book where the ending is not
    a: sh1te
    b: deus ex machina
    c: disappointing
    d: completely contrived

hmmm.. actually I forget now, that first Rigante novel might have been ok, I'll have to go back and check.

The point is, with Gemmell you're sure of a good read and a nice little jaunt through fantasy but you also know that it'll end badly. Enjoy the ride, just don't be suprised.

(if you do actually manage to name one, I'll gladly rush out, buy it, read it and reply).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

I really enjoy Gemells books.
    Reading them is kinda like the way you turn your brain off to watch a Jean-Claude movie.
    Dont over analyse, just enjoy the action.

• Advertisement

Lolth... Lion of Macedon... If you dont like it I'll pay back the cost with pints.. smile.gif

yeah ok, I'll give you Lion of Macedon

BUT

he did use it as an introduction for his main story which was told in the Dark Prince. And the ending to that was not only abrupt and contrived it was also complete hollywood-esque happy-happy joy-joy pants.

But Lion of Macedon was good.

Ahh now..

Lion of Macedon is a story in itself - regardless of what came after. As for the ending of Dark Prince, Gemmell has always insisted on the "good always wins" story, and to be honest I like it. As Pally said, his books aren't for over analysing, but do provide a fantastic read.. something I'd prefer anytime..

If you want a good ending tho, read Morningstar.. another excellent book with a fantastic twist.

I agree that Lion was a story in itself and so, shouldn't have had Dark Prince tagged along after it. Once a book has a sequel, it is , in my opinion, not a stand alone story. By itself, Lion is good, but the Macedon Series was, overall, disappointing.

Yeah, Gemmell's Good over Evil thing is nice and light to read, it's just that he has Good being beaten to a pulp everything looks bleak and hopeless, then, in the space of ten pages there's a complete reversal and good wins hands down and happily. Just doesnt show very much forethought or planning.

Gemmell is a great read though. Despite the fact that I hate his endings I have actually read all of his books (including Morningstar... great story.. again a very Deus ex ending. Pity, a decent ending would have made that a great book rather than just a great story).

You can over analyse *any* author, or book, or film. My opinion on books is pretty much the same as on films, if you can sit back relax and enjoy it's good and was worth the time. I'd just like to see more authors taking the time to actually plan the end of their work as it does take away from the enjoyment when you think back on it at a later date. And Gemmell, unfortunately is one of the worst for this. King used to be good.. he lost it. Koontz was excellent but went down the "hollywood" road. Herbert, same a Gemmell really - fantastic stories but with endings that are too quick - his latest one Outsiders is good though, nice ending smile.gif. Feist.. *ahem* Nakor..git..annoyance.. Pug=ultimate solution to everything *cough*.

I'll still read these authors and still willingly agree that they are good, some even great. But in my opinion, they could be better and the most obvious way to me is if they work on ending their stories properly without giving the impression that they were writing an epic tome of a book but ran out of time.

hmmm, I wonder if Wheel of Time is so long because Jordan can't or won't think of a decent ending for it?

The man must be paid by the word...

• Advertisement
Advertisement