Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Adobe Premier

• 09-11-2004 2:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭

Can anybody tell me anything about Adobe Premier, what it can do what it costs, or should I just head on up to adobe.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

It edits video, what more do you want to know. If you need to ask what it does then it will probably do everything you need it to do. It's expensive enough. You can get pirate copies of it, or so I've heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

Pirate versions FX Meister? Shame! If you can't afford it you don't need it!

There should be a trial version available for download (also PCW magazine often has the trial version on CD). Adobe site was good last time I visited, they had a good guide to video-editing (in general) for download as .pdf

It is expensive though (just a guess: $500 range). Sometimes it comes bundled with high end real time video editing cards.

For other (+cheaper) alternatives see the 'Best program to transfer/edit with?' thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 idiotproof

Its good.

If your looking at premier you've probably had a look at things like Final cut pro and Avid dv express.

I cut on FCP but only because I've a Mac, when it comes down to it theres not gonna be much difference between the three (I'm sure someone will have issues with that statement).

Having been using Avid recently I've found it less intuitive to use and learn to use in comparison to FCP and Premier, it seems to come from the film editors way of editing on a computer rather than how a computer can best be used to edit if that makes any sense, a lot of the guys I know editing at home cut on Premier because thats what they use in college, they love it and After effects, the special effects package for it, they all use pirate copies of premier and after effects and never have had any complaints.

Premier seems to be looked down upon much as FCP used to be by people cutting on Avid in stupid A$$ monster online edit suites, so much so that I think Adobe are going to bring it out in future under a different name than adobe but I'm not sure where I heard it from so dont hold me to it, this can be a problem if your going for a job or generally want to work in and around industry heads because a lot of people I've met will try to find any excuse to put themselves over you.

All in all its a personal decision, it could just come down to what someone you know has so programme file are compatible or what you can get pirate or free.

Hope that helps, I think just confused myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I edit on Adobe Premier Pro 1.5 - Merely because I'm a cheapskate and can't afford a Mac. I've used Avid Xpress for Windows and Final Cut on Mac which are both in their own right, excellent NLE's.

Adobe Premier Pro as far as Windows goes in my NLE of choice. It's powerful and so easily integratable with any of abode's products (after effects ect..). The plugins list goes on forever and the workspace's are so well designed.

With older version of premier like 6.0 I did have alot of dropped frames when capturing video but Premier Pro 1.5 is alot more stable. It does require alot of resources however, so make sure you are running a P4 with 1gig of RAM before you even think about buying Adobe Premier.

It is easy to use but as outlined before, do try the trial version to evaluate the product before go splashing out the money on it. If you are comfortable with the windows operating systems, then premier should be perfectly capable of anything you need to do.

I've been using premier since 6.0, and they have come along way even since then. Stability is really no longer an issue and if you really require professional quality edits, then go for it.

I've really nothing bad to say about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

idiotproof wrote:
    Its good.

If your looking at premier you've probably had a look at things like Final cut pro and Avid dv express.

I cut on FCP but only because I've a Mac, when it comes down to it theres not gonna be much difference between the three (I'm sure someone will have issues with that statement).

that'd be me.

Having been using Avid recently I've found it less intuitive to use and learn to use in comparison to FCP and Premier, it seems to come from the film editors way of editing on a computer rather than how a computer can best be used to edit if that makes any sense, a lot of the guys I know editing at home cut on Premier because thats what they use in college, they love it and After effects, the special effects package for it, they all use pirate copies of premier and after effects and never have had any complaints.

FCP came out in the last few years because Avid started developing it's software for PC and Homey don't play that. Apple responded by bringing out FCP as a f*ck you back to avid.

I've found that because in essence FCP is a derivite of Avid it apes some of it charestics but not all. I work with Avids all day long and when I go home to my g4 and FCP I find the shortcuts and designs so familiar but not completely familiar it drives me spare. like walking into your neighbours house and its laid out the same but the furniture is different.
    Premier seems to be looked down upon much as FCP used to be by people cutting on Avid in stupid A$$ monster online edit suites, so much so that I think Adobe are going to bring it out in future under a different name than adobe but I'm not sure where I heard it from so dont hold me to it, this can be a problem if your going for a job or generally want to work in and around industry heads because a lot of people I've met will try to find any excuse to put themselves over you.

Frankly no. The major frusration for industry heads is the blissful ignorance to a proper editing system. One editor I know recently wrote that he was employing a junior assistant and they inspected his machine room and were amazed. They'd never seen such a system. All they knew is firewire firewire firewire.

But the prinicpiles are the same. Rule of thumb is always Knowing avid/FCP/premiere system does not make you an editor knowing how to cut makes you an editor. They systems change. Frankly the juniors I know who have a knowledge of Premier is a plus. They get the basics already.

Hope that helps, I think just confused myself.

Avid have a free downloadable version of their xpress system. Not many bells and whistles, but if you want to just do some straightforward cutting go with it. there is a straightforward reason its the industry standard. Its the best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Inner I

I know im kind of thread jacking (sorry) but Mycroft Did your friend find an assistant?
    Ive a full showreel and have worked on every low end system available, Ive taught for a year and am currently freelancing, Onlining a 12 part series for Rte (on Avid). But id like to get in to proper offline editing, either way id just thought id ask --- all you can say is no! cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Inner I wrote:
    I know im kind of thread jacking (sorry) but Mycroft Did your friend find an assistant?
    Ive a full showreel and have worked on every low end system available, Ive taught for a year and am currently freelancing, Onlining a 12 part series for Rte (on Avid). But id like to get in to proper offline editing, either way id just thought id ask --- all you can say is no! cheers.

Sorry mate the friend is in the states......

Can I ask what you are onlining on?

Advertisement