Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL Free offers end very soon ...but not NTL

• 09-11-2004 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

For those of you thinking of applying for a 2 or 3 month trial from a DSL provider the order for the trial must be processed by that provider and submitted to Eircom Wholesale Before The 10th of December . No more trial connections thereafter say Eircom Wholesale.

Really you better get the free trial orders in by the end of November and make sure that they are processed 5 or 6 days later in case you have to resubmit a 'lost' application or mislaid DD etc. etc.

NTL are continuing with their free install and free 3 month offer beyond that date although I am not sure how long for.

M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭dsab

NTL is NOT a FREE TRIAL. You get the first three months of a 12 month contract for free, but you can`t send it back after 3 months.

At least that`s what NTL told me twice when I ordered it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Sorry , that is very true.

I should say that there will be no FREE ANYTHING TO DO WITH DSL after the 10th of December.

So

11th December . Pay for Modem, Connection and pay for 12 months with DSL
    11th December . Free Modem , Free Connection and pay for 9 months with NTL

Eircom will announce a new promotion around the 10th-20th of January 2005 if you miss the boat for christmas....effective Feb 2005 . They have bought the space in the media for it already. They may announce a schedule to possibly enable up to another 120 exchanges by end 2005 as well.

I hear that it is towns between 1000( or 1200) and 1500 people in the next phase.

M

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Muck, have you heard anything from eircom about a possible service speed increase or cap improvement? Will there be any other packages added for the home user such as 1mb or 2mb radsl coming soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Gonzo wrote:
    Muck, have you heard anything from eircom about a possible service speed increase or cap improvement? Will there be any other packages added for the home user such as 1mb or 2mb radsl coming soon?

It will be ADSL2+ not RADSL and will be announced next year . While it may be in the January announcements it will possibly be held back until later in the year.

The ADSL2+ deployment is not really meant to provide higher speeds but to allow more pairs to carry DSL service on a thick 100 pair cable and to increase the service reach from 4.5km at present to somewhere above 5km .

The big variable in the pricing and packaging matrix is NTL. If they DO go Dublin wide by christmas and then offer the services that are in the UK pipeline you will probably see Eircom responding with faster packages.

NTL, acording to their own figures have 8% takeup in their enabled areas. Eircom have about 6% takeup in their enabled areas (including Digiweb UTV and IOL who sell the Eircom package) . Eircoms greatest fear is that the Transient (Student and Rental) market gets in the habit of not having a landline because Eircom have made it too expensive to have one .

That habit could turn into a lifetime one.

M

Advertisement