Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox High-Def Pack - Work with Euro xboxes?

Options
  • 09-11-2004 3:21pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭

The bungie site talks about the xbox high def pack and i know its existed for a while but the buingie site tells you to set your xbox to display in 480p mode instead of 480i (i - interlaced (most euro tvs) p = progressive (my tv bought in europe))

Currently there is no option on my dash like that which leads me to think that the euro xboxes do not have that option because of the lack of HDTVs and ProgScan tvs in europe.
    Will purchasing the HiDef pack enable this option somehow on the dash for me or are the yanks getting another one up on us Europeans?
    (i've emailed xbox support but they take on average about 6 days to come back)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Nope, there a legit reason to get your xbox chipped though ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

****ing bastards!
    Why the hell not, progressive scan tv's are popular here now.

I cant be arsed chipping it because of lack of cash, expertise and not wanting to prevent live play. And i know a switched mod will solve the live bit of above but not the other two reasons. :(
    Halo 2 will have to stay in 60hz interlaced for now so.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

There's an (official) Advanced SCART Cable that you can get that's only for PAL XBoxes AFAIK, plus I got one from lik-sang that has SVIDEO and RGB SCART outputs. I believe that both of these are pretty good outputs, but I couldn't tell you whether these are as good as the progressive scan 480p. I know some NTSC games go up to 1080i or something, but I think most of them do only 480p. AFAIK RGB SCART is equivalent to component out, so you should get a good signal, even if it is still 480i.

Ciarán.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

480p will give you a much better picture compared to 480i (scart). But 480i running through component will give you a similar picture to scart.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

The bungie site talks about the xbox high def pack and i know its existed for a while but the buingie site tells you to set your xbox to display in 480p mode instead of 480i (i - interlaced (most euro tvs) p = progressive (my tv bought in europe))

Currently there is no option on my dash like that which leads me to think that the euro xboxes do not have that option because of the lack of HDTVs and ProgScan tvs in europe.
    Will purchasing the HiDef pack enable this option somehow on the dash for me or are the yanks getting another one up on us Europeans?
    (i've emailed xbox support but they take on average about 6 days to come back)

My PAL Halo2 runs in 480p on my PAL Xbox, but as mentioned you have to mod it and set it to NTSC. Pretty much all PAL games run in progressive when on a modded XB.

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

The option is only visible when you have a HD output pack connected. I'll trust whatever anyone else has said about the PAL versions but on my US Xbox/NTSC Tv that's the way it works - use any other video lead and the option's gone from the dashboard.
    480p is a massive improvement over Svhs btw.

_CreeD_ wrote:
    The option is only visible when you have a HD output pack connected. I'll trust whatever anyone else has said about the PAL versions but on my US Xbox/NTSC Tv that's the way it works - use any other video lead and the option's gone from the dashboard.
    480p is a massive improvement over Svhs btw.

Yeah, forgot to add that, but I have the HD Pack and I can confirm it does work on the PAL Xbox.. technically only if its modded.

Matt

I got a component video cable with my vdigi transcoder. This should suffice as far as I know!!

Matt, you would be the man to ask. What do you think of this? Want it to be used as a TV, Monitor and for consoles.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/lcd_w2600?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dhs

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Buy a PC.

Mod chips are cheap, installing them is ok-ish.

I got a component video cable with my vdigi transcoder. This should suffice as far as I know!!

Matt, you would be the man to ask. What do you think of this? Want it to be used as a TV, Monitor and for consoles.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/lcd_w2600?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dhs

Looks nice, even supports 576p signals, which means it should be grand for early PAL Progressive Broadcasts (if they ever get it off the ground). I havent checked LCD prices recently, but how does that compare to the likes of Harvey Norman prices? While a good spec, over €1500 sounds a mite pricey for a 26" LCD, especially considering Dell should be cheap..

I heard Dabs.co.uk were selling 30" LCDs for £1000 about 2 months ago..

Matt

• Advertisement

Thats sounds like an impressive price with dabs. The connectivity provided by the Dell is a major selling point for me:

- SCART (2), Composite (2), S-Video (2), HDTV component (2), TV In/Coax (1), DVI (shared with PC), Audio (RCA - L+R, plus PC)

I don't know what to think.. Do you know of any similar spec'd LCD's that offer higher resolutions when used as a monitor.

Thats sounds like an impressive price with dabs. The connectivity provided by the Dell is a major selling point for me:

- SCART (2), Composite (2), S-Video (2), HDTV component (2), TV In/Coax (1), DVI (shared with PC), Audio (RCA - L+R, plus PC)

I don't know what to think.. Do you know of any similar spec'd LCD's that offer higher resolutions when used as a monitor.

Not really, they all seem to be 1280x720 around that size. The more "monitor" centric big LCDs like Apples Cinema display range offer high res, but limited connectivity (and higher price), so it seems like a tradeoff.

1280x720 isnt bad tho...

Matt

Yeah I am thinking its worth the trade off anyhow.. hmm, decisions!!

Advertisement