Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo DS First Hands on Review from IGN

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Oh Moma!
    I gotta get one.

I didn't know you could use the touch screen as a type of mouse. Excellent idea, it has definatly given me another reason to get it over the PSP. Proper FPS games.

Must get DS. Must kill...Fran.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Oh Moma!
    I gotta get one.

I didn't know you could use the touch screen as a type of mouse. Excellent idea, it has definatly given me another reason to get it over the PSP. Proper FPS games.

Must get DS. Must kill...Fran.

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/index.html?tag=gs_head_ds

These guys have a shít load of streaming videos of the DS and games. The Super Mario 64, Spiderman and Metroid ones are great and made my mind up that I want one. In the Mario one they try use the Thum Strap and it dosnt work (much to the devlopers embarsment).

IM GETTING A DS BLOG....!!!

BÁSTARDS!!!

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/8783670602491113/

1364938848326816.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

looks kinda ****e!? the 'thumb stap' seems to be a ridiculous way to control things, admittedly better than playing a game with a stylus. gimme a game gear with a good 'ol tv tuner any day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Awesome, seems cool, Damb you Ciaran I knew I should have ordered one! Hopefully again, the GF will pull through! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

Looks great. Hopefully Santa won't dissappoint this christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

i never wanted one until just now......it's so pretty......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i'm more intruiged now but i still think the psp will be out of this world. 333mhz (ps2 has 299) with 30mb (ps2 has 32).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

i'm more intruiged now but i still think the psp will be out of this world. 333mhz (ps2 has 299) with 30mb (ps2 has 32).

What exactly has that got to do with anything? It's the games and the developers' programming skill that will make the most of either console, not the raw specs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

heres a guy with a DS answering some questions you guys might want answered

http://forums.dshandheld.com/showthread.php?t=1306&page=1&pp=15

• Advertisement

heres a guy with a DS answering some questions you guys might want answered

http://forums.dshandheld.com/showthread.php?t=1306&page=1&pp=15

That thread has 55,000 views currently...

Loads of info in it but id suggest skipping all the posts except for the guy who has the DS, makes it much easier to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

ok does anyone know if you can still use this as a gba and connect to your cube ie to get metroid fusion bonuses?

evad_lhorg wrote:
    ok does anyone know if you can still use this as a gba and connect to your cube ie to get metroid fusion bonuses?

Nope, there is no link port on the DS so unless they plan a WiFi/Nintendo wireless hook up there is no chance...

Rew wrote:
    Nope, there is no link port on the DS so unless they plan a WiFi/Nintendo wireless hook up there is no chance...
    You also wont be able to play multiplayer on GBA games because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

The thumb strap will make big difference. I'm leaning more towards a DS than a PSP.
    I like the way it is possible to play either left or right handed. The demo shows the guy moving samus with the right buttons instead of the D-pad.

Rabies wrote:
    The thumb strap will make big difference. I'm leaning more towards a DS than a PSP.
    I like the way it is possible to play either left or right handed. The demo shows the guy moving samus with the right buttons instead of the D-pad.
    It's not much of a difference for me, what I'm looking forward to are the likes of project rub, and animal crossing DS, but i suppose as soon as I see hunters in action that will change my mind....

I was looking at some of the video's on IGN. Some of the movement in Hunters looks a bit jerky. This might just be because, as they said, Hunters doesn't have a sensitivity setting you can adjust and is a bit akward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Does Hunters have a solid single player campaign ala Prime & Echoes?

Apperently so. But the demo (First Hunt) is only 10 minutes long single player, with a basic multiplayer bot feature afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Dogg Thang

So, out of curiosity, are many people here thinking of importing a DS?

Dogg.

• Advertisement

/me raises hand

I would definatly get one if I had disposable cash. Someone I know is going to New York at the time of release, I'm half tempted to get him to purchase me one.

I would get one from america if i could, but i can't because of the lack of money. But you won't see me buying a japanese one, since i can't read japanese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Dogg Thang

Well it comes out first in the US as far as I know so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm thinking I'll get one myself. I'm not blown away by the launch titles by any means but I'm a sucker for handhelds. My only way of surviving Dublin Bus...

Dogg.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I really want one. I want to import, and the mammy just said the other night she'd give me the money to order one for me and one for my little sister, who loves all things Mario-related.

Im going to get one I reckon, my bro is there mid Dec. Friend of mine reckons he's getting one as well.

As for the Jap versus the USA version, the language is selectable off the menu, so the hardware is standard.

6.jpg

So the only diferance would be the manuals. Not sure about the first hunt demo language.

Just spotted this on gamesradar, shows some of the ds's quirkier moments. Some of the games are looking damn good, screenshots don't do most any justice, especially the dog game.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

hey dogboy great find looks amazing
    psp my arse

I wouldn't say psp my arse just yet, but still the ds is looking somewhat more intuitive and nintendo(for once) seem to be doing a really good job of marketing the ds, it depends on the games released for each system, and i'm no fan of tekken or gran turismo.

Advertisement