Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE TRUTH

Options
  • 09-11-2000 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

has anyone read terry pratchetts latest offering.
    wondering if its worth getting as a filler before wheel of time book 346 comes out?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

I have. It is pretty standard fare. I did enjoy it, but it is no his best work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Good Omens without a doubt. Still hilarious and I've read it 21 times (I keep count on the front cover).

In Discworld terms, Guards! Guards! or Men At Arms imo; Interesting Times is also up there. As is Mort. And Pyramids. And... ah well, just pick up a Discworld book and you won't be disappointed wink.gif

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

You forgot Wyrd sisters smile.gif.

Also, is the latest paperback, "Fifth Elephant" any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

Whats his best work in your opinion? I've never read any of his stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Good Omens is magnificent smile.gif

Making a flick out of it now, which has the potential to be either amazingly funny or appallingly bad. Fingers crossed for the former...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Originally posted by Manach:
    Also, is the latest paperback, "Fifth Elephant" any good?

I read it a good while ago in hardback, not bad, but not quite as good as the previous Watch-oriented books. Some funny moments though ("Vimes looked out the window. There was a typical Ankh-Morpork street scene outside, but people were trying to seperate them")
    Worth a read.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Originally posted by Shinji:
    Making a flick out of it now, which has the potential to be either amazingly funny or appallingly bad. Fingers crossed for the former...
    Is that definite? LAst I heard it was on hold 'cause they wanted to move the story to the States...

Best Discworld book for me is Men at Arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Good Omens seemed more a Neill Gaiman book to me....And all the better for it... smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

From the Neil Gaiman site: http://www.holycow.com/dreaming/

RENAISSANCE SEES 'OMENS'

Co. to finance, sell pic along with Dworet-adapted 'Alamos'

By ADAM DAWTREY

Terry Gilliam will direct the $50 million comic fantasy "Good Omens," and Nicholas Hytner will helm the $25 million romantic thriller "Los Alamos," both for Renaissance Films.

Gilliam and Tony Grisoni are adapting "Good Omens" from the worldwide bestseller by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. Charles Roven's Atlas Entertainment is co-producing the pic with British producers Marc and Peter Samuelson.

The film is slated to shoot in the U.K. toward the end of 2001. It's a knockabout story of an angel and a demon who are sent together on a mission to track down the Antichrist, who has been misplaced somewhere on Earth.

Laurence Dworet will adapt "Los Alamos" from Joseph Kanon's novel. Ted Hope and James Schamus at Good Machine are developing and producing the project.

Story concerns a murder investigation set against the backdrop of the race to develop the nuclear bomb in early 1945. Pic reteams Hytner with Renaissance, the company that produced his first movie, "The Madness of King George."

London-based Renaissance will finance and sell both movies. In the case of "Good Omens," which reunites Gilliam with Roven for the first time since "Twelve Monkeys," pic will also go through Roven's own output deals in selected territories. Renaissance itself has an output deal with Entertainment Film Distributors in the U.K.

The Gilliam pic, which has been long in negotiation, reps the first fruit of Renaissance's policy to make larger A-grade projects, co-financed through its newly inked $210 million credit line with the bank Dexia BIL. Renaissance is picking up all the development costs.

Gaiman, creator of the graphic novels "The Sandman" and "Neverwhere," and Pratchett, author of the "Discworld" series, both have huge cult followings. "Terry Gilliam, Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett are all certifiable geniuses; we have now set the fuse on behalf of their millions of fans around the world," said Marc Samuelson.

Renaissance has two pics in production -- Rose Troche's "The Safety of Objects" and Paul McGuigan's "Morality Play." It is also understood to be in negotiations to board Brian De Palma's "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind."

Advertisement