Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mammy, ma, mam, mom, mommy, mum, mummy?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm 39 and address my mother as "sir!" :eek:

Mike.

Okay I lie, its mum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I am the snobs brother, I call her Mum and Mummy too and I call my father Dad or Poppa.

I dislike the sound of Mam, Mammy and especially Maaaaaaaaa, its what i hear from some dirty, snotty faced kid in supermarkets shouting at their Adidas attired mother.

I will hazzard a guess that many of you read those books Anne and Barry when very young. They always had that Mammy thing going on. I was brought up on Peter and Jane which had the classy Mummy vibe going on.

I will so be flamed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

When I was a kid it was Mammy, as I've gotten older Mum or Mam. We were absolutely forbidden from calling her Mom or Ma when we were kids so I've always used Mom when I'm trying to piss her off!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Mum and Dad for me , but when talking to other people I refer to them as mother and father .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

hehe, i always called me dad daddy but i never called my mum anything else but by her name when i was growing up. that all changed though when my folks divorced now i call her mum or mam, it's like it's not personal anymore so mum does the job when ever i speak of her, weird i know but that's just me :D i always be a daddy's girl tho :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭Brian017

I call mine by her first name.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i used to call my mother "mum" which later transformed into "mam" wich later trasformed into her real name.

i used to call my father dad, then by his name only when refearing to him when i'm talking to someone about him,

now i just use his real name

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭Brian017

So I'm not a freak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

i called my "mother" mammy when i was young, now its mam, or mom, my daughter of nearly 4 calls me Mommy, or mama...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Apparently "m" words are actually difficult for very young babies to enunciate
    I find that hard to believe since a lot of babys' first words are mama or dada.

What's more interesting is what you refer to your significant other around the kids once they enter parrot mode. I refer to the other half as mammy (or mammary to really p her off). She knows then, when I refer to her by her real name, I'm not messing around :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I find that hard to believe since a lot of babys' first words are mama or dada.
    Only because they are the only words that have been repeated tens of thousands of times in the previous year.

"They" did an experiment with teaching babies sign language and it led to much happier, less frustrated babies as they were able to communicate as opposed to just yell, scream, cry and throw / kick. It's down to the brain developing quicker than the vocal chords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

my mum is headoffice my dad is dad, nana and granpa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

i have a 3 year old son and his brother is 18 months, and another coming in may aaaaaaahhhh help - i have burst my arse to get mammy as the one over the UK mum, and so far it seems to be working, but i cannot afford to relax, but its hard going as the hateful old witch who is his mothers mother is referred to as mum [northern ireland local thing - even if nationalist]

changing the americans and uk isms in the storybooks is a key part of the startegy while reading

i am not uptight about being irish and i am not a great lover of the irish language battle, but in certain key respects such as the kids irish names and the mammy thing its instinctively important to me :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

This thread seems to have some good staying power!

Since I started it our own son has changed his terminolgy a bit. He is 29 months now, we live in the states but he calls his mother mammy because we spent a good bit of time in Ireland when he was really learning to talk. All other mothers are mommies though, I hope we haven't totally confused him! It will be interesting to see if he keeps using mammy or eventually switchs to mommy. He has also gone through times of using my first name and not daddy, very funny when it happens, sounds so weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 madison 1

This really dose my head in and i think is very wrong to allow your children to call you by your first name.
    Now these children i am talking about dont use Mammy or Daddy and when they go out in public people stop and look at the kids, very embarrasing i think.
    That shows no respect to there mother and father and the kids dont seem to care.
    Even when they talk about ther mum and dad they use there first names, i was so close th snapping one day at these kids, but its not up to me to correct sombodys elses kids.

Thats not the worst of it, the parents allow them to carry on doing it, it discusts me.
    what do you think they should do, cos i know what i would do if i heard my kids doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well we get arround that in our house by the kids using both names.
    It is an old family tradition that goes back to when I was a kid.
    I dont agree with children addressing thier parents with first names only,
    but by not merely being Mammy but MammyJanet my children can also see that
    I am a person too and not a slave to thier every whim.

It is no more long winded then saying Auntie Mary or Nana Anne and there was
    a brief time when I was called MammYanet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Up until about 8 years of age it always was mum and dad, then (to their confusion) i just started caling them by their real name... my friends think that this is really weird too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

I call my grandmother "Nana" but it bothers me when I hear people referring to their Granny as "Nanny" it reminds me of a goat. What do you all think?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

I called my grandmother on my mothers side nanny, not sure why, probably what my mother told me to say. I never knew my grandparents on my dads side so I have no name for them. My son calls his grandmother on his mother side nanny as well, no particular reason except that was what I was used to. My wifes mother is grammie which is what she wants to be called. I think in the cause of grandparents you should always ask them what they want to be called by there grandkids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Enii wrote:
    I call my grandmother "Nana" but it bothers me when I hear people referring to their Granny as "Nanny" it reminds me of a goat. What do you all think?
    A "nanny" is also a child minder, a function carried out by many Grannies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Ma & Da, or sometimes in reference while talking to others the oul one or oul fella. Dont think anybody round my area would say "mummy" .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

I call her Mam

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ether

Mum but the kids call their mum ma, or MAAAAAAAAAAAA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

madison 1 wrote:
    This really dose my head in and i think is very wrong to allow your children to call you by your first name.
    Now these children i am talking about dont use Mammy or Daddy and when they go out in public people stop and look at the kids, very embarrasing i think.
    That shows no respect to there mother and father and the kids dont seem to care.
    Even when they talk about ther mum and dad they use there first names, i was so close th snapping one day at these kids, but its not up to me to correct sombodys elses kids.

Thats not the worst of it, the parents allow them to carry on doing it, it discusts me.
    what do you think they should do, cos i know what i would do if i heard my kids doing it.

What are you talking about?!????

How is calling your parents by their REAL name disrespectful?

Personally I think making BABY NOISES at my parents, as in mam, mum etc., is far more disrespectful, bordering sarcastic. You're not two years old anymore and your parents hardly expect you to act like you are.

My mother cringes when she has to call her mother "Mammy". The woman is 80 years old and her daughter 40 something, it sounds ridiculous.

That's why I've always (since I could speak) called my parents by their first name, it's what they taught and asked me to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ether

I don't think either calling your mother mam or her real name is disrespectful, I guess mam it's just a universal thing, but I couldn't imagine calling my mother anything other than Mum, and believe me I have nothing but respect for my mum.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

RuggieBear wrote:
    I call my mother Mam.....

same here...I find the word Mummy very annoying as in my experience its used by so called "snotty rich kids"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I say "Mam", but in parallel with my induced americaniZation 9 pronouncing aluminium, carribean, restroom, garbage) , i'm going to start "mom"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

It's Mam and Dad for me.

With the ocasional "Mumsie".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

It's Mam and Dad for me.

With the ocasional "Mumsie".

Advertisement