Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mammy, ma, mam, mom, mommy, mum, mummy?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Kernel32 wrote:
    What about mum and mummy? I heard that a lot last year in Ireland. Growing up it always sounded kind of posh to me to use mum but it seems fairly common place now.

I'm Scottish & I am a mummy/mum - my brother-in-law sometimes says Ma & Da in an exagerated Dublanese whiney twang & it sends shivers up my spine, lol!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

My parents were Mom and Dad to me - and my boys call me Mommy..
    I think.. :D

*calls kids* :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I'm surprised at the amount of vehemence against mum and mummy - personally I'd be the opposite and would cringe to hear my kids say mam, ma or mammy. Mum or Mummy is such a kinder, softer sound. Mam and Mammy just sound harsh and sharp to me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Ma & Da all the way:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

i'm a mom or a mommy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

mumsy!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I mostly use the word mum, but my mum is English, as am I, hence why I use that. I can't stand the usage of the word "mom", and the odd time I've said something like "ma(m)" which I generally don't use all that much, and on the rare occason, I may have referred to her as my "auld wan", but that's quite rare. I sometimes refer to her as "my mother" the odd time as well.

I generally use mum because it's what I'm most comfortable in using... naturally, dad is just, well... dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

"Mam" and "Dad".

When I went to school in Dublin, some git in my class slagged me off for calling my parents "Mam" and "Dad". He said I should call them "Ma" and "Da", 'cos that was "normal".

I don't think he believed me when I told him there was a world outside the pale, mind you...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

"""A manager in work recently was inquiring about a collegues ability to take on a new project and asked of my boss.. " Does he have the bandwidth for the task".... WTF like."""

whats wrong with that.. thats an internet word coming through
    dont u use internet words offline?
    bit o fun no? ..bit o difference?
    bandwidth is in no way american
    if it is whats the irish form of bandwidth? .. bet u cant think of it

Well, for a start, that usage doesn't make any sense...

Advertisement