Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Visit from Garda - encourages reporting traffic offences

Options
  • 09-11-2004 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭

A few weeks ago I wrote to the Garda Commissioner in the Phoenix Park. The subject was "Misuse of Gardai". I was complaining (I'm never happy) about Gardai closing teenage discos (I know that has changed but it seemed a silly focus at the time) and the locations of speed cameras (yes, I was 'caught' by one).

The Commissioner forwarded my letter to the Assistant Commissioner for the Dublin region.
    Last Saturday morning a Garda called to my door about my letter!! He is the head of Traffic in my local station. He had a copy of my letter (in a file - am I marked now?).

We went through each point in my letter. I had asked why aren't the Gardai putting checkpoints outside pubs and catching people - it seems to only happen at Christmas. He said that his team have checkpoints Thursday, Friday and Saturday. They arrest 2 or 3 people each week.
    I mentioned that I frequently report traffic offences I see while cycling to work. Most of them are at two junctions in Dublin 3. For both junctions a Garda in the local station told me that they've had multiple reports from cyclists about those junctions. But they don't appear to be doing anything about them. He said he'd speak with the Sergeants at those stations.

I mentioned my speeding ticket (37 in a 30 on the wide Navan Road in Cabra). He said that is to catch 'boy racers' who apparently have their races on Sunday mornings. He doesn't like hidden speed cameras but prefers his team to be visible.

I also mentioned red light running and he encouraged me to report such incidents.
    He described how his team often watch for red light running on the Blanchardstown roundabout (just west of M50/N3 roundabout). Apparently so many people run the lights it's like "fishing in a barrel"!!

I normally only ask that drivers be cautioned because the court route is inconvenient (the court part especially - been there as a littering witness) but he said that he'd prefer to see people follow through on their reports. If I just ask for a caution and the offender tells the Garda where to go, he (Garda) has to do just that because, without a witness willing to go to court, he can do nothing further.
    He suggested that, in future, I ask for a caution to be given but I am willing to go to court if the driver denies it or has an attitude. This Garda prefers to "prosecute not persecute."

I found it an interesting and educational conversation. I was delighted to get a positive response to my letter.
    So, if you witness dangerous driving, the Gardai are interested in your story.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I take it you re in the Clontarf area (as you mention D3). I remember when i worked in the yacht pub (many years ago) seeing checkpoints but this was soon stopped (sweetners sent down to the station!?). In the last 5 years or more I have not seen one any day of the week, christmas or not!

WRT being causght doing 37 in a 30 zone and the remark that they are there to catch boy racers - are you a boy racer? They did catch you! Also, not liking hidden speed cameras does not mean that they don't use them - saw one myself on the Cabra road last friday.

WRT, red light running and his men watching out for this @ Blanch roundabout. What men? Are they hiding in the bushes? I have never seen or heard of anyone being stopped or done for this anywhere!

I do want proper policing on the roads here and at least they did respond in a quick and professional way to your letter. However, until Herr Flik gives his department sufficient money then nothing will change!

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

You where caught breaking a known speed limit of 30mph and you complain,yet you have no problem yourself complaining about other traffic offences?
    Are you special?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

In the last 5 years or more I have not seen one any day of the week, christmas or not!
    It's worth asking Clontarf station about this. You might be pleasantly surprised - I was about the Blanch activities.
    are you a boy racer? They did catch you!
    Since 37 > 30 I paid without argument. I'm now a speed limit kinda guy.
    Me and my boring VW Golf (no mods) are nowhere near a boy racer. I don't even have alloys. I prefer to speed on my bicycle. I've hit 30 mph a few times on the flat.
    I'm primarily a cyclist who is lit up like a Christmas tree at night (lights on helmet, bike and ankles, sam browne belt on torso and reflective strips on bright coloured helmet). No black-on-black for me.
    What men?
    Gardai from the traffic unit in Blanchardstown. He didn't say where they positioned themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

daymobrew wrote:
    ...my letter...

Did you use your real name?
    If yes then your name is now "known to the Gardai"
    and "enquiries" have been made about you.

<rant>
    I once was pulled over by a jobsworth guard for taking the right hand lane on a roundabout, I was correct and new I was correct, I talked nicely (not in a smart way) and even produced the "Rules of the Road" from the glovebox to show the exact page that showed I was right but he wouldn't look at it, all he wanted to know wasmy name and address. That was that.

But a few days later a Guard who I've know for years in my local station asked me what I had been doing because "enquiries" had been made about me.

I have nothing againts the Gardai, but I wouldn't voluntarily have anything to do with them, never make complaints, never draw attention to yourself. I'm glad they don't have guns, so they can't do much harm.
    </rant>

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

daymobrew wrote:
    It's worth asking Clontarf station about this. You might be pleasantly surprised - I was about the Blanch activities.
    I hasd thought you were referring to D3 gardai. Anyway, what would I ask them? How often do you hold checkpoints and where do you hold them? I would either be told to feck off or I would be lied to!
    daymobrew wrote:
    Since 37 > 30 I paid without argument. I'm now a speed limit kinda guy.....
    You still got caught by a speed trap that was positioned "to catch 'boy racers'"
    daymobrew wrote:
    Gardai from the traffic unit in Blanchardstown. He didn't say where they positioned themselves.
    It is horse****e! The gardai are rarely around the M50 roundabout (or near any traffic lights in this area)(or any other M50 roundabout!). Also it is one of the few roundabouts on the M50 where the gardai can't actually hide in the center as there is a bit of a drop there! The only area around there where you are likely to come accross a garda is either outbound before the small roundabout before the M50 (Castleknock roundabout?) where they do people for speeding or bus lane offences. They also position themselves under the 1st flyover on the N3 after the M50 doing people for speeding!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Fair play to you and fair play to the guards getting back to you.
    daymobrew wrote:
    I mentioned my speeding ticket (37 in a 30 on the wide Navan Road in Cabra). He said that is to catch 'boy racers' who apparently have their races on Sunday mornings. He doesn't like hidden speed cameras but prefers his team to be visible.

You could almost bet your house there's a speed check on the Navan road, where you got caught, every Saturday morning. I travel it early (at about 8 or so) most Saturday mornings and I'm well aware of it. However, I would question the fact that he says he doesn't like hidden cameras. The speed check comes in one of 2 formats, a garda bike or two or else the gatso van. If it's the garda on a bike they 'hide' behind a tree in the same spot all the time. If it's the van, it's not going to be very visible anyway unless you're looking out for it.

He's dead right about the red light running at the Blanchardstown roundabout, someone always goes through it yet I have yet to see any 'team' checking for this in over two years of morning and evening commuting. Sadly though, red light running is becoming pandemic around Dublin and I'm surprised more people are not killed by such muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

While its nice thats the gardai responded to yur letter I'd just like to veer off topic slightly and ask what u meant by a witness to a littering offence????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I've an interesting experience to report, in this same 'spirit'.

This morning, town center, around Dublin 6 - overtaking a cyclist at 07:45, no more than 30 mph, indicating, deporting myself no more than 1/2way across the oncoming lane, which is empty as far as the eye can see -a good 300 to 400 yards - bog standard situation.
    The small nissan in front of me is about 100 yards in front. Waiting Yummy Mummy in her X5 decides to take off in the opposite direction & cross my lane between the Nissan & me, not seen the cyclist or my indicator (or the fact that there really isn't enough room even if there was no cyclist). Stops after I pile on the brakes, winds her window down and starts giving me abuse about driving too fast, overtaking cars in town & whatnot. Clearly, she was scared sh**less and was just reacting to mild shock.
    Needless to say, I replied accordingly (although no swear words, note: "silly wench" - which is extraordinarily sedate, for people who know me!) & took off. I fully expect her reporting me to Guardai - she seemed the type.

The morale of the story? I'm all for prosecuting people when they deserve it (drink-drive, drive at 40 in a 30 zone, without insurance, etc, etc), but voluntarily reporting will forever be one side of the story and its' the day you find yourself on the other side - the side that gets looked into by Guardai, that you'll realise the error of your ways - which I wish will come soon.

Advertisement