Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Things about NUIM?

Options
  • 09-11-2004 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

You've all been there long enough, so there must be something you hate about Maynooth.

Personally I hate the bridge(it seems to get steeper everyday) and the way Maynooth is always freezing and the queue in O'brien's is always long.

P.S If you prefare-What do you love about the place-( I like Jh1, the seats are so comfortabe :) )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

It's in a nice location.

I hate lots of things about the place but it's early days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

damn the bridge to hell! i think we sould plot to distroy it! i pledged for one year i would not walk over it! and i did it! was the best year ever!

thing i love most! connection my external hard drive to the network(easy when you know how! if you want to know how pm me) for some extreamly fast downloading! a few times ive hit 40mb/s! very handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

From an em-Maynoothian, I will never forget the winters in Maynooth. It's like the North Pole!!
    For the rest of the year it rains :(

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

the fact the trains come and leave mostly on the hour instead of the half hour, which would give us time to get to lectures or go home at the end of lecture straight away (the 4.10 is the only one really possible though i have missed it a good few times)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Feckin 67a.

Its rubbish...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

The bridge
    The weather
    The muck
    The class timetable
    The train timetable
    The lectures
    The constant departmental screwups
    The PCs

I'll stop. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I think the muck is probably what sticks in everyones mind

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

...and ears.

The lack of good looking men! Damn this 3 girls to every guy ratio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

I love ratios... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

gobby wrote:
    I love ratios... :)

Yes, Ratios are good :D

I was out in UCD today....as much as I like Maynooth I'm depressed now. Boys EVERYWHERE :eek:

Saying that though most are muppets....Maynooth guys are sound...(just trying to keep in your good books) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

i hate the walk from the train station, the bridge in particular...although most of my first lectures are on the new campus so i avoid it sometimes...

Okay lets be positive....things you love...

The fact that I've just moved house and I'm now living on Parson Street...2 seconds and I'm in class.

The location...Maynooth is a lovely lil place....most of the time anyway.

Intel/HP etc guys nearby (for us deprived females)

The mixture of different counties....when I was in CIT everyone in my class was from Cork...

It's probably the culchiest University in Ireland...which might be a bad thing to some people but I love it. Go on the culchies! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

ugh

The whole dull looking CS department (no girls)
    The train timetable
    The weather
    The lack of veg food
    The nightlink service after SU bar eX
    Bands that play the bar ex.
    The Slow pcs
    [admin edit - please refrain from making reference to persons real or fictional in a manner that may upset them -thanks VEX.].
    mikado ( ;) )

i like O briens sandwich bar though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭robo

Placebo wrote:
    ugh

The whole dull looking CS department (no girls)
    The train timetable
    The weather
    The lack of veg food
    The nightlink service after SU bar eX
    Bands that play the bar ex.
    The Slow pcs
    [edit]
    mikado ( ;) )

i like O briens sandwich bar though :D

Agghhhh...I remember it all, I graduated in 2000 from CS.

[admin edit - please refrain from making reference to persons real or fictional in a manner that may upset them -thanks VEX.].

I agree with all of above except the O'Briens Sambo bar...we didn't have that in my day...where is that located?

I never liked Maynooth, felt that you had to be in a clique to fit in! And the weather was woefull down there, and the trains and buses were a good walk from the bus stop & train station! There should have been a shuttle bus from the new campus to the train & bus! Oh the memories...they are too painful... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Personally I hate the bridge(it seems to get steeper everyday) and the way Maynooth is always freezing and the queue in O'brien's is always long.
    my sentiments exactly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

robo wrote:
    Agghhhh...I remember it all, I graduated in 2000 from CS. And Dermot Kelly...I remember him well...
    I agree with all of above except the O'Briens Sambo bar...we didn't have that in my day...where is that located?

Its in the John Hume building on the new campus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

The Muck I guess, used to be a lot worse when the place was a complete building site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jandm

Agree with Robo about the clique thing. I worked as part of the administration for a year and a half in the mind 1990s and hated it - everyone working against each other in my little group. Oh and walking over that bridge 4 times a day - got windburn on my face!
    Ironically I used to be religious before I worked ther lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 moonser

i h8 having to commute everyday. its a bitch and walking from the train station to the new campus is a bitch and yes that bridge does get steeper everyday and especially whan you are hung over.
    also the way it is always soooo mucky around the train.
    here there is another forum on www.whopperbuzz.tk
    its in the college section alot of chat about bar exs and other things.
    no one knows about it so anything can be said.
    also i am the mod for it so go nuts.

ps i love ratios and i resent that comment obout the lack of good looking men i fit into that catigory.
    mmmmmmmm3:1
    thats my kinda ratio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭uum

Right i jus moved to live in maynooth and i reckon there isnt even a college there,
    u could drive down past the pubs anynight and see no one. V quiet.

where do the students go out? not to a club that closes b4 coronation street surely?
    whats all this about 3:1 too? 3 mingers to 1 good bird an all of em dont drink?

gimme ul anytime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 moonser

uum wrote:
    Right i jus moved to live in maynooth and i reckon there isnt even a college there,

where do the students go out? not to a club that closes b4 coronation street surely?

gimme ul anytime

who the **** are you. today is only wednesday and people have stuff to do during the day.
    as the saying goes"we work hard we play hard".
    if you had of bothered your arse to go into the college you would have noticed the bar on campus and seen a **** load of people. well maybe you should go and get your facts rite before you start dissing nuim. also no one goes to the bars in town during the day cause the su bar on campus is much better, cheaper and close to where their next lecture is.

uum wrote:

gimme ul anytime

Aye tis quiet alright...but what ya gonna do....it's only a little village...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭uum

Never mentioned the daytime.
    IMHO the best night in maynooth is friday night in clockhouse.
    I;ve gone through maynooth many times around 10,11 pm and seen not a soul and defo not a skirt in sight.
    Strange University where ye must leave the club soon after midnight. Cinderella's?

uum wrote:
    Never mentioned the daytime.
    IMHO the best night in maynooth is friday night in clockhouse.
    I;ve gone through maynooth many times around 10,11 pm and seen not a soul and defo not a skirt in sight.
    Strange University where ye must leave the club soon after midnight. Cinderella's?

How long have you been here? Give it a chance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

uum wrote:

I think you could have a point here. Other than bar ex nights, from what I've seen the SU is completely dead on Wednesday and Thursday nights.
    Don't know about town but I was driving through it last night at around 10 and it was very quiet considering it's supposed to be a college town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭robo

jandm wrote:
    Agree with Robo about the clique thing. I worked as part of the administration for a year and a half in the mind 1990s and hated it - everyone working against each other in my little group.

That's around the time that I served my time in Maynooth! Hope that it has got better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

I was at the openday. From what my brother told me the most obvious bad things about maynouth is that its cursed(what with the whole goings on in reteric house and the big path nobody walks down) and that the swiming pool is full of seamen

Advertisement