Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL vs NTL

• 09-11-2004 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

I am currently using IOLs free 3 month trial and have some reservations. Firstly download speeds are quite bad, generally around 25kb/sec. Also, when I'm gaming online the connection is often disrupted for absolutely no reason.
    NTL has become available in my area as of last week and I'm thinking of ditching IOL and going with them (probably the 1.5MB connection). What kind of download speeds can I expect from this connection and how is it for gaming (PC and XBox).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Was in similar situation as you but my connection was ok with IOL,but went with NTL instead,have had the little hicups but hey nothing is perfect,i get DL's in region of 85kb/sec but depends on server i suppose....i got the 750meg package and im very happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

You can get up to 180Kb/s on the 1.5Mb service - there is no comparing IOL with NTL. There are some serious problems with IOL or on your end if your downloads are only 25Kb/s mine are 52Kb/s usually. Where are you downloading from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭UNIFLU

am currently with NTL on half meg line geting up to and over 100kb/sec d.load, going to upgrade to meg and half line in a few weeks, am in rialto but real close to a major hub/line thus the speeds, not had a problem to date with it

E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Downloading game videos from ign.com etc. Just went to one of the bigger sites and was getting about 40kb/s. Just as an aside, can someone tell me what are these "bittorrent" files all about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bass.exe

BitTorrents are a type of file transfer whereby the data is shared between all users using that torrent.
    A tracker manages the file transfer between peers.
    It is interesting in that it is a tit for tat transfer protocal, the more you upload to other users, the more (i.e. the faster) you'll download.

All you need to know is that it's quite efficient, and that it takes up approx. 0kb webspace :P. That's why it's so popular with warez sites.

Edit: www.bittorrent.com is the original client, along with all the information you'll most likely need about it. I prefer www.bittornado.com which is a modified version, and has more features... a lot of people like azureus.sourceforge.net , which is a java based BT(BitTorrent, not British Telecom :P) client.

• Advertisement
Advertisement