Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripwave error message

• 09-11-2004 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

My ripwave unit was delivered friday and naturally enough, I'm not getting a sniff of a connection.
    When I run the Navini diagnostic i get an error message that reads-
    "Ireland RESOURCE NOT AVAILABLE"
    once that is clicked the application launches but I'm wondering if this is because I'm not connected OR is it the cause ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

I've had ripwave over a month now and that message has come up from day one, however my connection has also worked from day one, so thats not the problem (necessarily). I've never bothered to check that message out so I'm not sure if it could cause a total lack of a connection, but it would seem not.

When you get into the diag program what sort of a display do you get (a screenshot would be great), also where do you live, and what mast (if you know) are you expecting to be connected to. The best thing to do however is to ring tech support they work til nine, and any time I've had a problem they've sorted it out quicksmart, and very nice to deal with they are too.

Anyway I know that won't help, but as bob says "babysteps".

Baz_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I get the same error on both machines here. No probs mind. I thinks it's a Java related error as I think the software in written in Java. (Not 100% here mind)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 dach

Well Baz-
    I've been on to tech support and I was told "be patient".
    When I asked which mast I'm connected to he said " good question"
    The chaps name was "radish", radich- something like that- I felt embarrased after asking 3 times and still couldn't catch it.

I can't provide a screenshot now unfortunately I'm at work-but it's basically the monitoring graphs showing signal strength with green bars on the left and wave diagrams on the right although the connection doesn't last more than a second so the wave doesn't get a chance.

I'm living in the ranch in dublin 10 which borders inchicore but they addressed the package to dublin 8 which has me suspicious about the mast- I told him i should probably be on the digital hub west mast (right ?) but he said the engineers would be working on it and to keep checking after 1 and 6 daily.

so my tech support wasn't as pleasurable as yours I'm sorry to say but if anyone can shed a bit more light on what should happen next I'd be grateful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,205 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

dach wrote:
    Well Baz-
    I've been on to tech support and I was told "be patient".
    When I asked which mast I'm connected to he said " good question"
    The chaps name was "radish", radich- something like that- I felt embarrased after asking 3 times and still couldn't catch it.

I can't provide a screenshot now unfortunately I'm at work-but it's basically the monitoring graphs showing signal strength with green bars on the left and wave diagrams on the right although the connection doesn't last more than a second so the wave doesn't get a chance.

I'm living in the ranch in dublin 10 which borders inchicore but they addressed the package to dublin 8 which has me suspicious about the mast- I told him i should probably be on the digital hub west mast (right ?) but he said the engineers would be working on it and to keep checking after 1 and 6 daily.

so my tech support wasn't as pleasurable as yours I'm sorry to say but if anyone can shed a bit more light on what should happen next I'd be grateful.

His name was Radek :)
    Ive been on to him a few times, ended up getting set to nomadic but its on the blink again tonight.
    My Router spends all its time trying to DHCP Discover/DHCP Request and I get 25% packet loss.
    From my logs:
    Nov/09/2004 22:27:13 DHCP Request success xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Nov/09/2004 22:27:11 DHCP Request xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Nov/09/2004 22:27:07 DHCP Discover
    Nov/09/2004 22:26:58 DHCP Discover
    Nov/09/2004 22:26:53 DHCP Discover
    Nov/09/2004 22:26:52 DHCP Discover
    Nov/09/2004 22:26:51 DHCP Discover
    Nov/09/2004 22:26:50 DHCP Discover no response
    Nov/09/2004 22:26:49 DHCP Discover
    Nov/09/2004 22:26:16 DHCP Discover

Im not sure which mast you should be on, Id get him to set yours to nomadic and then restart your modem (I presume youve been doing this?)

Good luck.

The_Edge wrote:
    I get the same error on both machines here. No probs mind. I thinks it's a Java related error as I think the software in written in Java. (Not 100% here mind)
    This is what I get through my router, which is a bit **** because most people use some sort of router!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 dach

cheers for that greebo-
    yeah- i've i've been restarting the modem- but still not a sausage
    I'll ask for the nomadic setting and see how that goes.
    Beyond that- i guess I'll just have to plump up for breeze unless you guys can think of another option ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

GreeBo wrote:
    This is what I get through my router, which is a bit **** because most people use some sort of router!

Did you download that from the Navini website or did it come with the package?
    Looks like a have newer software? I downloaded your version but found it doesn't work with my gear. I get the same screen as you there GreeBo. Here's what mine looks like:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

I got that error when i had ripwav too, is it a usb or ethernet modem u have?? could it be usb related??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

its not usb related, and unfortunately when I say they dealt with me quicksmart, there was still an element of having to be patient, but like the man said ask to be put on the nomadic setting and it should at least help you debug the situation. Otherwise search the forums here there are a few handy tips for ripwave such as put the modem in the attic (?) or leave it outside (!)...

which actually aren't as insane as they sound.

As for the two different diagnostic utilities, they both work fine for me, one came on the disk the other I downloaded from navini, and they even work side by side with no problem, greebo it seems has a real problem if you cant even contact the modem itself, a lot of the time when there are problems you would be in contact with the modem, but the modem can't find a mast, other times the connection looks fine all the way and still no connection, which is usually an indication of work being done at the mast.

Greebo try running the navdiag that came with the disk, if it is still showing no connection there then you have a big problem, and will probably need to have a technician come out.

Anyway give them a ring now and ask them to put you on nomadic, as far as I know they only make that change every so often and not on demand, so the sooner you put your name down for it the sooner it gets done.

Baz_

My connection is now fine, but I have never been able to get the software to talk to the modem (when then router is in the middle, its fine when I remove the router)
    I'll get the new software and see if it makes any difference...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

GreeBo wrote:

This is because your router is not set up for broadcast forwarding.

Try googling 'Broadcast forwarding X' where X is the type and model of router you use. The Diagnostics software doesn't work with my router because it doesn't support broadcast forwarding.

ballooba wrote:
    This is because your router is not set up for broadcast forwarding.
    Is that different from port forwarding?
    its a DLink-624 btw.

dach wrote:
    My ripwave unit was delivered friday and naturally enough, I'm not getting a sniff of a connection.
    When I run the Navini diagnostic i get an error message that reads-
    "Ireland RESOURCE NOT AVAILABLE"
    once that is clicked the application launches but I'm wondering if this is because I'm not connected OR is it the cause ?

This is purely to do with the diagnostics software as far as i can tell. From what I remember you tell the software what country you are in when installing.

I presume when you launch the Java Application it checks the various resource bundles it has available to see if there is one available for Ireland.

When I saw that message I presumed that it meant that for certain regions the diagnostics software offered extra functionality.

Baz_ wrote:
    greebo it seems has a real problem if you cant even contact the modem itself,

The fact that the diagnostics software cannot connect to the modem does not necessarily mean that the computer cannot contact the modem.

GreeBo wrote:
    Is that different from port forwarding?
    its a DLink-624 btw.

Yes it is different. I have DLink-624+ and have not been able to find a solution for broadcast forwarding.

Port fowarding is pretty simple and if you google you can find a solution for it really easily. This however is a different kettle of fish and it allows computers from outside your network to contact those ports on your computer.

Have a look here for more about broadcast domains:
    http://www.linktionary.com/b/broadcast_domain.html

ballooba wrote:
    Yes it is different. I have DLink-624+ and have not been able to find a solution for broadcast forwarding.

Port fowarding is pretty simple and if you google you can find a solution for it really easily.
    Yeah I've done all the forwarding I need (though the router does seem to loose the settings sometimes and needs to be restarted...)
    I turned on more logging and now my logs are full of
    "Drop TCP packet from WAN"
    Is this something I need to worry about? My connection is crap again, apparently my upload speed is faster than my download at the moment.
    Im maxing out at 10k/sec D/L's.

thx for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

long shot, but installing the latest runtime java kit from java.sun.com might help with application errors

GreeBo wrote:
    Yeah I've done all the forwarding I need (though the router does seem to loose the settings sometimes and needs to be restarted...)

Think you picked me up wrong there... 'Port Forwarding' and 'Broadcast Forwarding' are seperate issues.

If you find a solution for broadcast forwarding for that router then let me know. I haven't been able to find one.

ballooba wrote:
    Think you picked me up wrong there... 'Port Forwarding' and 'Broadcast Forwarding' are seperate issues.
    Nah, I was just letting you know that I know what port forwarding is... :D
    If you find a solution for broadcast forwarding for that router then let me know. I haven't been able to find one.
    Will do, though tbh I dont really care if it works or not, as long as the connection is good.

Advertisement