Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slight prob with linksys router/modem

• 09-11-2004 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

I have iol bb which came with the Zyxel modem which had a usb+ethernet connections. I got the Linksys Wag-54g http://www.linksys.com/international/product.asp?coid=6&ipid=371
    which is a modem/4-port sw/wireless router all in one to replace the zyxel. The interface is similar to the Zyxel in that you choose PPPoE/PPPoA and fill in your user name/password all of which I have done. On the front of the Linksys it has a pwr light/ethernet x4/wlan/dsl/internet,all are green except the internet light. Which going by the user manual it means it is not connecting to the isp. I know the connection is working as I am using it to type this with the Zyxel modem. I am going to try the Linksys on a mates BB(eircom) later to see if I get the same probs.How can I do a screen capture in xp and I will post up my linksys web config settings

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

You can just press the Prt Sc button on your keyboard, go to Start->Programs->Accessories->Paint and Paste the image in. Save it as whatever name you like and post it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Thks Mbroaders but it does not seem to catch the whole screen as the scrn I am trying to catch needs to be scrolled to see it all and I presume the "prt Scr" command only catches whats on the scrn at that moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭job

Try using hypersnap to do screen capture.

http://www.hypersnap.com/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

cubix wrote:
    I have iol bb which came with the Zyxel modem which had a usb+ethernet connections. I got the Linksys Wag-54g http://www.linksys.com/international/product.asp?coid=6&ipid=371
    which is a modem/4-port sw/wireless router all in one to replace the zyxel. The interface is similar to the Zyxel in that you choose PPPoE/PPPoA and fill in your user name/password all of which I have done. On the front of the Linksys it has a pwr light/ethernet x4/wlan/dsl/internet,all are green except the internet light. Which going by the user manual it means it is not connecting to the isp. I know the connection is working as I am using it to type this with the Zyxel modem. I am going to try the Linksys on a mates BB(eircom) later to see if I get the same probs.How can I do a screen capture in xp and I will post up my linksys web config settings

Thanks

That internet light that you mention can be very very faint! Sometimes it is difficult to tell by that alone if there is a connection. But the linksys interface will tell you whether you are connected or not (just click on status) - have you actually tried to connect via the interface? (and just a thought make sure you dont have the linksys and the modem plugged into your phone line at the same time - I know its unlikely but .........)

I use that model with Clicksilver and it works fine with even a minimal set up

Inserting the following (from the IOL webpage) should be enough to get up going:
    The WAN/Modem settings for IOL Broadband are as follows:

Mode: Routing
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplex: LLC
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

There is no mode requirement on the set up page for the Linksys

Add in your username and your password and off you go hopefully!

Hi Dub45
    Thanks for the detailed reply, yea had tried those settings already but no joy. Just the Linksys plugged into the adsl line and the internet light on the wag-54g is pure red while all other l.e.d's are green. I went into the status section of the web config which says my dsl is "up" which would correspond with the green dsl l.e.d on the front but the "PPP" is diconnected and when I click connect it tries two to three times without any luck......

• Advertisement

cubix wrote:
    Hi Dub45
    Thanks for the detailed reply, yea had tried those settings already but no joy. Just the Linksys plugged into the adsl line and the internet light on the wag-54g is pure red while all other l.e.d's are green. I went into the status section of the web config which says my dsl is "up" which would correspond with the green dsl l.e.d on the front but the "PPP" is diconnected and when I click connect it tries two to three times without any luck......

Have you tried reentering the settings just in case there is a spellling error or that sort of thing? Failing that might be worth resetting the router itself and reentering them from the start just in case you unwittingly interferred with something. The default settings plus the settings from the iol page should get you going at least in my experience!

I will give it a shot, have you got the link handy to iol's BB settings page

Cheers

cubix wrote:
    I will give it a shot, have you got the link handy to iol's BB settings page

Cheers

http://bt-esat.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt_esat.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=1YPr5bqh&p_lva=&p_cat_lvl1=7&p_cat1desc=Broadband

Thanks for all your input Dub45, got a replacement today and put in the iol settings and was up and running in 5mins :D . ITs really anoying when you spend half the day messing around when it turns out to be a faulty unit

Cubix

cubix wrote:
    Thanks for all your input Dub45, got a replacement today and put in the iol settings and was up and running in 5mins :D . ITs really anoying when you spend half the day messing around when it turns out to be a faulty unit

Cubix

You are very welcome C but I always think you do learn a bit when these things happen - so often they can be worthwhile! (learning experience and all that crap:) Anyways enjoy it all now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Sarn

Hmm just got the same modem/router today. Have spent the last 3 hours trying to get it to work. Same problem with the red internet led. Managed to connect to the internet for a few minutes 2 or 3 times before it shut down. Very frustrating. Maybe they repackaged your dodgy one and sold it to me :(

Got mine in Pc World (blanch) the only thing Sarn when it came to the internet gateway side of the router my was totally nackered(as in it never let me connect at all). I think mine was defo D.O.A out of the box and all so it got very hot just plugged in doing nothing compared to this one. Like Dub45 said you should be able to plug and go as I did a couple of basic settings and was up and running in about five minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Sarn

I've given up at last. After finding out that the cat 5 cable provided was faulty (as indicated by no led every now and then) I thought I had it sorted. But no.

I've tried setting it up on 2 different machines (wired), running win 2k and xp pro. Connecting to the router directly to configure settings is actually hit and miss. I've lost track how many times I've had to reset it to factory settings in order to set it up. The three occasions that I connected to the internet (albeit briefly) was a pleasure.

As a result trying to set up a wireless connection proved difficult (double-checking login details, LLC, VPI, VCI, releasing, renewing, resetting TCP/IP, assigning static ip etc.). The excellent wireless signal but no internet connection (same problem when wired though). But with doubts about the ability of this all-in-one ADSL wonder to work when physically connected I decided there was very little point investing additional hours trouble-shooting.

After reading the problems that some people have had with the different firmware versions I'm not even going to try update it. As such my WAG54G is being returned. At least my knowledge has increased somewhat. Now what gateway/router will I experiment with next...... :)

Sarn wrote:
    I've given up at last........ Now what gateway/router will I experiment with next...... :)

The Netgear 834g is pretty good (this seems a very good price ) It has an excellent integreated help/support fearture when setting up.

Advertisement