Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School sucks after a summer of ctyi...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Ah. Little too subtle for me to pick up on. Sorry there Billiam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Keine problem, mein freund.

You know, there's a weird kind of beauty in some of those stupid comments...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

i don't think there's anyone that stupid in my class. which is surprising.

You've no idea what you're missing out on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

Oh, I've thought of another...

It was after spending the whole of English discussing the American electon results this girl turns to me and goes ''Results? I didn't even know there was an election on''

Deadly serious. Again. *facepalm*
    There's a difference between stupid questions and lack of knowledge of current affairs.I also only found out about the American elections after the result was in purely because I hadn't watched/listened to/read the news around that time.

It's hardly fair to laugh at these people either.We're lucky in that we don't need the questions answered, but imagine if you honestly couldn't subtract 10 from 20 and then someone laughed at you coz of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Shiney wrote:
    and when i said opinionated she told the teacher that i was using big words that she couldn't understand
    From a teacher in my old school, in response to a sarcastic comment: "Yeah Dave, that's another big word. Like marmalade"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

From a teacher in my old school, in response to a sarcastic comment: "Yeah Dave, that's another big word. Like marmalade"

Say ya had to be there barry......... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I love the dumber people in my classes. They make everything a little more interesting.... well, amusing anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

FFS baarry, is that another mr mulligan quote?? get over him! you aint in his school no mo, let alone his class.......... GYAH!

ah, sorry bout that, im not trying to pick a fight or anything....
    i apologise for my unnecessary agressiveness....

doonothing wrote:
    FFS baarry, is that another mr mulligan quote?? get over him! you aint in his school no mo, let alone his class.......... GYAH!

ah, sorry bout that, im not trying to pick a fight or anything....
    i apologise for my unnecessary agressiveness....
    No, it's from a different teacher. Who I still have teaching me, but who doesn't teach you lot any more. So be quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

hmm.. im almost sure thats something the mulliman said. but ok, if it isnt, i apologise again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I set off the fire alarm in school today (unintentionally). It was kinda cool. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

'girls, has everyone here seen the sound of music?'
    'yes, but i didn't understand it...'

'ok girls, that there is a male member of the dominican order'
    'IS HE A NUN? WHY IS HE WEARING A SKIRT?'

i retract the statement about not having complete tools in my class.

But let's not forget- teachers can be dozy too.
    Today we saw a misspelling of "hepatitis" when it was written correctly in front of her. And haemorrhage now, seemingly, has an L in it.
    In the past, hyperbole has become 'hyper-bowl' <cue us mimciking American football with star trek noises>.
    Some of the material we work with is bad as well. Today we got a full stop in the middle. Of a sentence for no reason.

yeah, one of my old teachers thought criminals were kept in a ''prision'' and tried to spell transvestite 4 times before eventually settling for ''she-male''

Illiterate and offensive! Winning combination!

oh and she wrote ''point of budwieser - €4'' when dealing with alcohol prices, and was adament there was no mistake, quoting the ad ''get the point, not the points'' in her defence. Yes, the fantastic irish education system.

In another class, we counted down the new year, completely spontaneous, at the top of our voices-
    ''10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!''
    ......in the middle of April

Good times.......

ColHol wrote:
    In another class, we counted down the new year, completely spontaneous, at the top of our voices-
    ''10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!''
    ......in the middle of April

Good times.......
    Good luck in your Leaving Cert. You'll need it

Thanks mate, your a true gentleman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭alaskagirl

school will never match up to ctyi. the classes arent as interesting. especially the compulsory ones (like alaska studies and lifetime personal fitness). the food there makes me fat if i eat it because only greasy, stereotypically american food is available for sale at incredibly high prices in the cafeteria (i always lost weight at ctyi cuz of the really undelicious food, which i sincerely miss griping about). worst, its way harder for normal people to get some play. it seems like the really ugly people and the really really skanky people are the only ones who ever get any action. and normal, wonderful, quirky people are just too inhibited or something to meet someone at a dance. plus its against the rules.

now that ive said lots of superficial sounding things that make me sound really obviously american...
    school is actually alright. my friends are there, i have a few decent teachers, and now that im a senior i can get away with lots of stuff, like coming in for first hour late nearly every day and not getting detention, and filming mister potato head dolls using the urinals in the boys' bathroom during biology class, and leaving school when i want.

that said, school is definitely way not cool compared to ctyi. i miss ctyi. i want to go back. ive never forgiven my parents for not letting me go to my last year before i got too old. and im definitely coming back as an ra.

you guys are lucky, you actually CAN take a bus or train or whatever to see your friends. i only know ONE person in alaska who has been to ctyi. granted, we are good friends, but it's way not as good as being able to go to a reunion or take a weekend trip to visit other friends from ctyi.

i miss ctyi.

-clare

• Advertisement

alaskagirl wrote:
    ...alaska studies...

some things are really strange if you look at them the right way.

Not really. We study Irish as a cumpulsory subject, why shouldn't alaskainians study their culture

Do alaskans have much of a history to study? just curious, i always viewed alaska as a sort of sahara desert covered in snow. Is there much in it?

Sodomy non Sapiens Mr. Holligan, but I'm sure they can find SOMETHING to teach. Departments of Education have a knack for that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The bastards!

Verily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭freakydeadgirl

you think the post-ctyi slump is bad now. wait till you're a nevermore like me and can't go BACK.
    it didn't help last week when i got the letter about the 2005 summer dates..
    **sigh and depressed mutterings**

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭alaskagirl

although alaska isnt the sahara snow desert, nevermoreness yotally is. actually i live in a city of about 300,000 people. its not so sahara-y. and alaska studies is lame precisely for the reason that you stated:alaska has very little history. well, it has little history as a state, but lots and lots and lots of really annoying stuff to learn about russians ( who owned us before the usa) and native alaskans (who are like the rest of america's natives, but they have more seal and whale ceremonies and words for snow). the reason we have to take alaska studies is because some boys paintballed a native woman while she was walking down the street a couple of years ago, and so the district decided that we were ignorant about alaska natives and that we should be forced to spend time learning about them so that people wouldnt paintball them. seriously, its like having to have a black cultures class because someone abused a black person, or a 'homosexual history' class because they are not accepted by some people. its imposssible to be completely politically correct as a school district, and although i know that knowledge is key to accepting people, i dont think that mandatory classes will cut down on native abuse. some people are just going to be prejudiced and they wont be changed by a class at school, and others who are not prejudiced have better things to do, like learn how to speak english or do simple maths, both of which we obviously have a problem with, seeing as no schools are up to president bush's "no child left behind" plan, which he has left out in the cold and direly underfunded.

i want to get out of this country. who will take me away from here? help! now that he has been reelected he can do anything he wants and ignore all of his promises because he doesnt have to worry about being elected again!
    thank goodness for australian citizenship.

and thats my tired rant for tonight.

alaskagirl wrote:
    ...little history as a state, but lots and lots and lots of really annoying stuff to learn about russians ( who owned us before the usa) and native alaskans (who are like the rest of america's natives, but they have more seal and whale ceremonies and words for snow)

My point exactly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Shiney

Something interesting happens in my school nearly everyday.
    This is what happen today.

(Backround info: Gillian's granny has been in hospital for ages)

Gillian, Lucy and Simone went on the hop to Smithfield ice-rink.
    Gillian told her friend to tell teachers that her granny died if they got suspicious.
    Mrs Rigney (evil year head) asked her where Gillian was and when she found out about Gillian's granny she rang Gillian's mom and told her "Sorry your about mother dying"
    Gilliam's mom thought she was a nurse saying that her mom died and burst into tears.
    She rang Gillian to tell her the 'bad news' and when she found out the truth, Gillian go tin a ****load of trouble

Advertisement