Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy readers

Options
  • 13-12-2000 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

no im not talking about red leather are whips

i read loads of fantasy books and im always on the lookout for a decent read.so if you have anything to recomend to me let me no.

as for me , i recomend the following
    1 robert jordan ; wheel of time (read it if you havent already, if the size puts you off, you will soon be wishing it was bigger)

2 Robin hobb;farseer trilogy and the liveship trilogy (2 amazing series ,so well writen and so engrossing)

3 David Gemmell ;all of them (nothing better than a bit of heroic fanatasy, and loads of fights)

4 FRank herbert; dune (if you never got pased book one read on. amazing stuff. my all time favorite)

5 david farland ; runelords (yipee book 3 is out in january)

6 terry goodkind ; sword if truth series(if you like robert jordan you will like this, all though a bit simmilar in parts)

7 tolken ; duh

hmmm if i can think of any more to recomend il let you no

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

L.E. Modesitt jr
    Raymond E Feist
    David Eddings
    I agree with you about WOT smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I read Wheel of Time ,Dune and Tolkien ,all brillient , but i do not like David Gemmel and his brand of talentless fantasy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Frodo@work

i like gemmel. if ive finished some 9 book series and i dont want to delve into another one straight away there is nothing like gemmel. his books are very entertainig in a mindless violence way.im not saying he is in the the same league as the others ive mentioned but he can be a breath of fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭mel1

Digging up this old tread as i would like if some knew fantasy reads were added to the list. Am an avid fantasy fan since the whole LOTR introduction and have read most of the above lists.
    As above please give
    writers name, book, and maybe a small description on the story.
    or if there is a different tread that i have missed with the above details please add a link.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

mel1 wrote: »
    or if there is a different tread that i have missed with the above details please add a link.
    Sci-Fi & Fantasy forum would be better suited probably:
    Best Fantasy Books

There's also a "What are you reading" thread which would give you ideas too as well as some other threads on the forum, some targeted at specific series.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. Still waiting on the third in the trilogy to be published but the first 2 are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I read Wheel of Time ,Dune and Tolkien ,all brillient , but i do not like David Gemmel and his brand of talentless fantasy.

Ah - I like David Gemmel. I loved Waylander, I read it so many times as a teenager.

Raymond E. Feist & Robin Hobb was missed above. Here is a link to some, with probably some more in the comment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I read Gemmel's first novel, I thought it was good but found it to be somewhat amateurish. I read it directly after reading the Kingkiller Chronicles, which are beautifully written, so that may have had some influence over my perceptions of Gemmel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Quiet Girl

Love the sword of truth series, terry goodkind is one of my favourite writers!

For me its defo George RR Martin- Game of thrones- just epic!

Priestess of the white by Trudi Canavan- another epic trilogy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Frodo@work wrote: »
    no im not talking about red leather are whips

i read loads of fantasy books and im always on the lookout for a decent read.so if you have anything to recomend to me let me no.

as for me , i recomend the following
    1 robert jordan ; wheel of time (read it if you havent already, if the size puts you off, you will soon be wishing it was bigger)

2 Robin hobb;farseer trilogy and the liveship trilogy (2 amazing series ,so well writen and so engrossing)

3 David Gemmell ;all of them (nothing better than a bit of heroic fanatasy, and loads of fights)

4 FRank herbert; dune (if you never got pased book one read on. amazing stuff. my all time favorite)

5 david farland ; runelords (yipee book 3 is out in january)

6 terry goodkind ; sword if truth series(if you like robert jordan you will like this, all though a bit simmilar in parts)

7 tolken ; duh

hmmm if i can think of any more to recomend il let you no

Haha, this is me 13 years ago. My how time flies.
    I would like to think I can put a sentence together better these days as well. I was very high back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    Haha, this is me 13 years ago. My how time flies.
    I would like to think I can put a sentence together better these days as well. I was very high back then.
    Still got punctuation marks in your name though ;)

There's the Stephen Donaldson's "Thomas Covenant" series

Gormenghast trilogy

but they are looong and a bit meh I though.

There are some Iain M Banks books which are on the line between fantasy and sf, where technology implements "magic" in the Arthur C Clarke sense

Neal Stephenson's Baroque cycle is pretty good

Advertisement